VOGONS

Reply 42 of 78, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

awww who doesn't love a happy ending!

it's always fun seeing some people not so subtly imply you are wrong or don't remember correctly, just because they don't know something.

your description was top notch! guess you really did spend a lot of time looking at that box 😁

Last edited by Boohyaka on 2021-01-12, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Bancho
Argh, can't reply to your PM, it gets stuck in "Outbox" ~X-(
Gonna reply here:
"Thank you Bancho! I really appreciate it!
Being an auction, i know the prices tend to jump towards the end.. And I usually haven't had much luck with eBay auctions, as I was usually outdid by bots in the last second 😒
In any case, i have an acquaintance that i buy old hardware from, for very cheap... works in recycling. And he always brings S7 motherboards.. So we'll see.

Best of wishes!"

@Boohyaka
Thanks! Yeah.. i did 😀
But in my case, i was kind of a "loner" as a kid, and i had the tenancy to "store" extremely clearly (in my mind), the things that had emotional value or resonance. Although the downside (at least in my case afaik) is that the old memories that sat undisturbed for large number of years, tend to erase themselves if i access them in extremely fine detail, for the purpose of describing or reenacting them.. (unavoidably disturbing their original emotional footprint, so to speak)
Was surprised of how much of what i described here these past months, is not actually in my head anymore.

Reply 44 of 78, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-01-11, 10:00:

awww who doesn't love a happy ending!

it's always fun seeing some people not so subtly imply you are wrong or don't remember correctly, just because they don't know something.

your description was top notch! guess you really did spend a lot of time look at that box 😁

B24Fox wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:13:

I've been desperately trying to find some details about my childhood motherboard (in the effort to recreate my 1st PC), but to no avail....

Also there was one other thing about this motherboard... : it was sooo shit, that the first year or so of me owning a PC, I was plagued with daily crashes, freezez, and reboots... even after upgrading to a Voodoo3 in the first year. I remember taking the computer back almost every 1-2 months, and the firm saying they fixed it, and then it would happen again as soon as i got home... until they replaced the motherboard with another model (without actually telling us)

That explains why ! 🤣 he spent more time looking at box then playing with the computer ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 45 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣! Yeah, it was a nightmare playing Expendable and LEGO Racers.. and basically any game that i couldn't save mid-mission.
Come to think of it.. it might have played a big role into steering me towards DOS games. Those didn't crash IIRC.

Reply 46 of 78, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to my researchs and to evasive, we managed to find the manual !

With that, the photos and the BIOS images, I now fully documented your motherboard over here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7038

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 47 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-12, 22:44:

Thanks to my researchs and to evasive, we managed to find the manual !

With that, the photos and the BIOS images, I now fully documented your motherboard over here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7038

Awesome!! Great job! 😁

One thing, tho.. Isn't the manufacturer name "Commate" (not Commel) ??
And this particular one seems to be manufactured by DCS (or so it says on the box). Wouldn't it be better to also include/mention DCS as the manufacturer for this model?

L.E.
Also, here's a pic of the manual (from eBay), if need be..

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    File size
    235.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 48 of 78, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Commate is Commel I think.

They must have changed their name since the 90's

As for DCS according to evasive (from nearly 18 years ago !), this is a reseller, not an actual board maker http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic. … ?p=52642#p52642

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 49 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it seems that Commell (with 2 "L"s) is a trademark of "Taiwan Commate Computer Inc."
http://www.commell.com.tw/Company/About.htm

But I strongly feel that if a board is associated with more brand-names, they should all be mentioned/used as a possible search parameter.

Reply 50 of 78, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-12, 23:46:

Commate is Commel I think.

They must have changed their name since the 90's

As for DCS according to evasive (from nearly 18 years ago !), this is a reseller, not an actual board maker http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic. … ?p=52642#p52642

DCS/Commate was one of the dirty dozen of PCCHIPS/ ECS elite group fab recyclers

Like Amptron they get unique revisions/features bios but just contracted their stuff out.

Oddly The “other” DCS was

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?118 … rboard-Upgrades

The 3rd party place that sold a slot box to expand Tandy 1000’s with room for a better psu, cd drive, etc

Reply 51 of 78, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really ? They seem to be some cheap Taiwanese brand, but not specifically PCChips/amptron/ECS/whatever else.

As for the name, it's true, I still have to find an elegant way of doing that because for cases like PCChips there are dozens of names that exist ... We can't just add like 10 times the same board, that would be too much work (not even mentioning the waste of space)

And yes DCS wasn't involved in making these boards. There are many cases like this in TH99 which of course got into UH19 as well

This for example :
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/919
In TH99 it was named
"ATC/UNITRON COMPUTER & COMPUTER PARTS U 6992 (SQ599)"
https://th99.classic-computing.de/m/A-B/33234.htm

But the actual name is BCM SQ599, ATC/Unitron computer & computer parts was a reseller.

We chose to rename this existing page to the appropriate name.

Reply 53 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-01-13, 10:59:

Do love a happy ending. Hope you manage to find the board for sale!

Hope so too..
But sadly it won't be the one from the auction that @Bancho got the pictures from. The price rose to £37, and there are still 3 days left to go.. So it will most certainly be over my budget..

Reply 54 of 78, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
B24Fox wrote on 2021-01-13, 22:17:

Hope so too..
But sadly it won't be the one from the auction that @Bancho got the pictures from. The price rose to £37, and there are still 3 days left to go.. So it will most certainly be over my budget..

It is about where SS7 boards go on auction, perhaps it will go for a bit more since its complete and boxed.

You dont know when another will come along!

A non boxed one that was tested and working sold for £32.65 recently!

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 55 of 78, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-13, 10:18:
Really ? They seem to be some cheap Taiwanese brand, but not specifically PCChips/amptron/ECS/whatever else. […]
Show full quote

Really ? They seem to be some cheap Taiwanese brand, but not specifically PCChips/amptron/ECS/whatever else.

As for the name, it's true, I still have to find an elegant way of doing that because for cases like PCChips there are dozens of names that exist ... We can't just add like 10 times the same board, that would be too much work (not even mentioning the waste of space)

And yes DCS wasn't involved in making these boards. There are many cases like this in TH99 which of course got into UH19 as well

This for example :
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/919
In TH99 it was named
"ATC/UNITRON COMPUTER & COMPUTER PARTS U 6992 (SQ599)"
https://th99.classic-computing.de/m/A-B/33234.htm

But the actual name is BCM SQ599, ATC/Unitron computer & computer parts was a reseller.

We chose to rename this existing page to the appropriate name.

Great admiration for the team's work as always. Hopefully the day comes when UH19 is the resource everyone is linking to.

Regarding the mixed bag of naming, I wonder if a tag system would be viable? That way you don't interfere with the official naming, but things become searchable under the incorrect names that people might know them by. Tags could even be added by users, although I know that's a can of worms.

Reply 56 of 78, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
B24Fox wrote on 2021-01-13, 22:17:

Hope so too..

That's a shame. At least you've got all the picture to use as a reference for finding the next one 😀 Seeing these boxed is pretty rare though.

Reply 57 of 78, by smokeycockatiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The max bid is £45 I'm the bidder 🙁 it's too late for me to cancel

35, From Worcestershire England, Autistic, Hobbies, Steam Engine's-Briggs And Stratton Engines, Dell Laptops,Record Collector,

Reply 58 of 78, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smokeycockatiel wrote on 2021-01-16, 10:17:

The max bid is £45 I'm the bidder 🙁 it's too late for me to cancel

Thank you for telling me this...
If you're currently at £37.00, there is no point for me to bid on it, because it will just make you pay more.. as i won't be able to buy it for £45 anyway.

Hope you enjoy this little board.. 'coz for me, it certainly has brightened my childhood despite it's quirks and problems 😀

Reply 59 of 78, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-01-11, 01:06:

This made me happy 😁 And more data for UH19 as a bonus.

Same here. I'm glad OP managed to find exactly what he was looking for. Had a shot at trying to rebuild my first PC as well, but a crucial component is out of reach so I gave up.