VOGONS

First post, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to replace the 90W PSU that came with my computer with a beefier model. I've attached pictures of the stickers on both PSUs: can anyone tell me if this will damage my PC or if you have any concerns about the amps? They are both 20 pin connectors with plenty of molex, so I'm not worried about the connector side of the house.

I just want to make sure this doesn't fry my board. It seems to have way more amps on the 3.3V rail.

Old PSU
20210112-180607-Fotor.jpg

New PSU
2021-01-19-09-Fotor.jpg

Battlestation: IBM Aptiva Series E 500 (Model 2158)
Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES 15" CRT
AMD K-6/2 400mhz
SoundBlaster Live! CT4780
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All voltages are present at the same or (way) higher value according to the sticker so that's good but while Delta is a reputable brand I have no idea about Replace Power and the quality of their PSUs.

Edit: A higher amp rating does not mean it forces more electrons through a circuit. It just means it can 'push' more if necessary.

Reply 2 of 4, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-01-19, 14:44:

All voltages are present at the same or (way) higher value according to the sticker so that's good but while Delta is a reputable brand I have no idea about Replace Power and the quality of their PSUs.

Edit: A higher amp rating does not mean it forces more electrons through a circuit. It just means it can 'push' more if necessary.

Thanks! I noticed that Replace Power had some lower watt PSUs such as this one, and they generally have good reviews for those models. Their forays into the "gaming" higher wattage market seem mixed, but nobody said it burned down their house so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Seems like it's hard to find good PSUs under 400watts that are also mATX form factor.

Battlestation: IBM Aptiva Series E 500 (Model 2158)
Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES 15" CRT
AMD K-6/2 400mhz
SoundBlaster Live! CT4780
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Replace Power" power supplies are bottom of the barrel component Chinese sweatshop PSU's. Don't waste your money.. spend $5 or $10 more for something reputable that hasn't been click-farm reviewed.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 4, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With a power supply you can never have too high of an amp waiting but you can have too low of a rating. Any power supply will only deliver what ever the amount of Amos being called for. Lets say you had a power supply rated for 12 volts 20 amps but your device is only asking for 2 amps at 12 volts then that's all it will push out is the 2 amps.