VOGONS

Reply 17960 of 27363, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-25, 04:33:
That's awesome - I'm looking for something like that that will take a 386 but also have VLB. What kind of board is that, exactly […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-01-24, 23:26:
https://i.imgur.com/6n2CTUol.jpg […]
Show full quote

6n2CTUol.jpg

Picture of the board.

This is the before picture.

That's awesome - I'm looking for something like that that will take a 386 but also have VLB. What kind of board is that, exactly?

seleryba wrote on 2021-01-24, 23:43:

During the weekend I have built the Retrobright indoor box with UV LED strip, hydrogen peroxide, aluminum foil and the plastic box.

So I deyellowed my Packard Bell's P60 front case. It works fantastic. Photo below shows clearly a comparison of before and after.

7A732A46-6D11-45D0-928A-02C072BFAA62.jpeg

I'm using the hair bleach, saran wrap, and put it outside (Saturday morning was sunny, but +5 only) method to de-orange an old XT tower case - it is 90% effective. I missed a spot here and there, so it's in my basement with just the top strip of the case under wraps. I've also got a floppy face, a pair of old Creative Labs speakers, and a VERY yellowed MS mouse, the latter of which has succumb to marbling, all in the basement. It will work without sunlight, it just takes FOREVER. Still, the mouse looks better than the piece of cheese that I purchased.

I've tried your method before in my Uni's bio lab on a Gravis gamepad. Came out pretty nice actually 😉

Over the weekend I put together a 486 SCSI system:

4mKPrHbl.jpg

DX2/66, 32 Mb RAM, 256k cache, 1.08 gb Quantum drive. In this picture, AHA 1542CF, and a 16550 dual COM card (from an NCR POS - I had to set the jumpers properly as they were set for addresses for COM 3 and 4 and IRQ 3 and 12, respectively). The CDROM is a Pioneer 32x SCSI.

This case had a P166 in it, but it seemed visually closer to something that might house a late 386 or early 486, so I pulled everything out and put this together in its place.

BLZ9nypl.jpg

The board came bundled with a Token Ring LAN card (pretty useless, but it's in there), and a TEKRAM IDE/FDC cache controller, which I could not get to work. It's going in there anyhow because I have no use for either of them anywhere else, and I wanted the "one card in every expansion slot" just like old XTs. Theres a Trident 9400CXi with 2Mb , a CT2230, and a high speed LPT card set to ECP mode as I will be using an external ZIP drive on it.

Friday night:

uRX7PNzl.jpg

Played this with my son for an hour or so (Stunts) - he loves it. He's not old enough to understand drinking and driving, but when he's old enough to, I will tell him that this is the only permissible form 😉

I took my front panel apart to insert a 7 segment display, and there was a hole, but the front cover had the black sticker/vinyl cover going over it. Exacto-knifed it off

G72uzLZl.jpg

and put the display in there:

m149npFl.jpg

Normally I have a red gel that I put in to change the colour of the LEDs, but all I had was this deep green plastic from my Sonata's digital clock (replaced with one from an Elantra - long story but 4 OEM Sonata clocks were NFG at the wreckers - seems it was a design flaw, I've got ones out of Ponys that still work to this day) and it was the perfect height so I snipped some off to length:

cfBOSmtl.jpg

I put some clear glue on the LED itself (it's pretty tight in there) and this is what I got:

dmVlvvfl.jpg

With Turbo off:

MzJfPi3l.jpg

with Turbo on:

Tpg3R83l.jpg

Overall I'd say 8/10, I could have been a bit more careful with cutting the vinyl, and the display itself is off on a slight angle due to the reset switch embossment hitting the PCB (I couldn't clip off more without damaging traces)

The IBM badge case is off a defunct server thrown out at work.

Next up - wait for the retrobriting to be done on the 5.25, hook up the speaker, bring out the NCR 17 inch and film it for my channel.

I have so much raw content 🤣... need to sit down and edit it!

It looks really nice and a lot like those pcs I used to play games on.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 17961 of 27363, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wasted 3 full hours trying to bring the GF4 Ti4600 back to life. Replaced all of the missing components, but it still won't work. Meh 😐

My retro computers

Reply 17962 of 27363, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just changed the coolant in a Corsair H70 AIO. The thing must be at least ten years old but the fins on the cold plate were pristine inside and there was nothing nasty floating about in there. So good job Corsair.

I got slightly more coolant in than I got out .

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 17963 of 27363, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decided to bring a P133 PC back to life. Was not posting when I got it over a month ago and suspected that a dead Dallas chip was to blame.
Looked up some battery mod guides, took a spare dead RTC, drilled away and soldered a battery holder.

P_20210125_120845.jpg
Filename
P_20210125_120845.jpg
File size
341.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Might block some ISA cards, but its not like I would ever use more than 2.

P_20210125_122225.jpg
Filename
P_20210125_122225.jpg
File size
529.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And it works after a single try!

P_20210125_121540.jpg
Filename
P_20210125_121540.jpg
File size
501.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Looked up what files it had and they indicate that this was a spreadsheet machine for a bakery that was in use all the way up to 2004. Now to figure out what upgrades I should add.

P_20210125_121718.jpg
Filename
P_20210125_121718.jpg
File size
470.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 17964 of 27363, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-01-25, 08:22:

It's a J-Mark OPTI-495SX 3/486WB (or Jetway).

I was the only bidder on this board and it's coming along well. Just waiting for some parts to come in the mail so I can replace those items and get it to work. I haven't tested it since the IC socket for the EPROM BIOS is gone (the left side had rusted out and the right side is still good), but the BIOS chip looks good and no signs of rust.

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for those. There are similar ones on eBay now but with only one VESA card, and it doesn't seem I can put an FPU on it. Also for $250, that's a tad much.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 17965 of 27363, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Started work getting the 40EC sorted out - mainly the screen, my last J.B. Weld repair is holding up really well so the hinge cover looks great now. Ordered a new motherboard ($20). I'm going to attempt to build a composite of two of the three remaining NL6448 panels - using the (NL6448AC30)-03 from the Ultralite with the -10 from the first M/75. Thinking I might need to buy some new ribbon cables for this, nice part is the -03 boards all have mf connectors on them (can't remember the right term) with that sliding latch, so only one side of SMD soldering - which I seem to have a knack for.

After that, I'm thinking 2 more huge ATA-133 drives are in order - then I can start with that puzzle called the "Ultralite". One for the M/75 to run WFW311 on top of DOS 7.1 (win3xstart is a friend of mine), one for the 40EC for a second install of FreeDOS on that, and then the rest of the drives will be as follows....

105MB.... - MS-DOS 5.00 and Windows 3.1 with Windows 3.0 wallpapers, as I think the Ultralite originally had 3.0 on it (Chess Wallpaper)
250MB #1 - The original "Ford" installation for the 40EC
250MB #2 - do this one last - reformat, remove Drivespace, setup for my Tandy 1000A
540MB #1 - Setup for OS/2 2.1 with Win O/S 2 and Multimedia extensions (I have it in the box but I never use it, might be fun)
540MB #2 - Setup for MS-DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.11 for the M/75 with games and the software for talking screen (as I've started using it in my music)

New Drives
40EC - <80GB - FreeDOS 1.2 or 1.3.
M/75 - <80GB - MS-DOS 7.1 w/ WFW 3.11
P/75 - <80GB #1 (have) - FreeDOS 2.1
P/75 - <80GB #2 (have) - Windows 95 OSR 2.5 setup for 800x600 w/ SB ESS688

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-27, 03:35. Edited 1 time in total.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 17966 of 27363, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I diagnosed and repaired a mainboard in my second Amiga 2000 (which I'm going to sell now). It wasn't working. Works flawlessly now.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 17967 of 27363, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got invited to a wedding by people I neither know or have ever met.
Whats that gotta do with retro you might ask?

Well it starts with a pile of hardware I got years ago.
And in that pile there was a nice large and working IDE drive from a few years into the new millennium.
On that drive there was a broken windows XP, and also a lot of personal pictures.
Normally I just delete anything even remotely personal on storage media I get.
But this was something else.
Thousands of pics of pretty much everything a family does.
And everything meticulously sorted and named.
As the age and (unusual) name of one person was known (birthday pics) the detective work was fairly easy to find that person online.

Now I agonized about this for quite some time.
Would I want to be contacted by someone that found old pics of me? no, probably not.
But the "family album" structure of the whole thing finally made me send an email including a few pics.
Basically asking if this was something I should delete or if it was interesting for the person.

And in less then an hour I had a reply.
And a very happy reply at that!

And to make a long story short (this whole deal took like 6 months) .
Some time passed and i get a wedding invitation in the mail.
One of the kids in the "album" is getting married and as thanks for restoring their childhood pics I'm invited.
Now I'm sure this is just them being polite, and its like a days car ride away.
So I'm probably gonna excuse myself.
But hey, my hobby made someone happy, that's enough for me!

Reply 17968 of 27363, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fitted plastic spacers to the ends of each of the full-length ISA cards in my PVI-486SP3 so that there isn't any danger of them shorting out.

img20210125164715.jpg
Filename
img20210125164715.jpg
File size
53.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

They are, in turn:

- Soundblaster AWE32 CT2760 with NEC XR385
- Transtech TMB04 Transputer interface board (1x 32bit T805 transputer with 16MB of SIMMs)
- Ultrasound MAX
- Transtech TMB08 Transputer interface board (4x 32bit T800 transputers each with 1-4MB RAM, + 2x 32bit T400 transputer with

img20210125164639.jpg
Filename
img20210125164639.jpg
File size
99.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
img20210125164646.jpg
Filename
img20210125164646.jpg
File size
104.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I give up one of the three PCI slots to have 4 ISA cards, but that's fine - all I need is PCI video (choice being either a Voodoo 3 3000, or a S3 Trio64) and networking (Intel Pro100).

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 17969 of 27363, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-01-25, 17:01:
Got invited to a wedding by people I neither know or have ever met. Whats that gotta do with retro you might ask? […]
Show full quote

And in that pile there was a nice large and working IDE drive from a few years into the new millennium.
On that drive there was a broken windows XP, and also a lot of personal pictures.
As the age and (unusual) name of one person was known (birthday pics) the detective work was fairly easy to find that person online.

Would I want to be contacted by someone that found old pics of me? no, probably not.
But the "family album" structure of the whole thing finally made me send an email including a few pics.
Basically asking if this was something I should delete or if it was interesting for the person.

One of the kids in the "album" is getting married and as thanks for restoring their childhood pics I'm invited.

I usually wipe old drives without looking what is on them. Stories like this do make me wonder how often I should check them though. Very heart warming to me 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 17970 of 27363, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-25, 17:23:

I usually wipe old drives without looking what is on them. Stories like this do make me wonder how often I should check them though. Very heart warming to me 😀

I NEVER do that. Why would I? People who sell/bring machines with all the data on HDD don't care about their privacy or data anyway. I did contacted a person like this a few times for similar reasons, but got no reply.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 17971 of 27363, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just been playing with the Amstrad PPC640 that I picked up today for next to nothing and it works perfectly 😀 but wow that screen is horrible! Shame I don't have a CGA monitor to connect it to.
Need to experiment with more games as I had some success and some failures. It was a lot better once I realised the DIP switches were set to MDA instead of CGA!
I think this must be the first PC I've had which has no hard drive at all, it's certainly the oldest I now have at home.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 17972 of 27363, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-01-25, 17:01:
Got invited to a wedding by people I neither know or have ever met. Whats that gotta do with retro you might ask? […]
Show full quote

Go for the food, stay for the beer. 😜

I'd give them the hard drive as an ultimate "take this out when you're getting rid of a computer" bomb.

Reply 17973 of 27363, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2021-01-25, 19:16:

I NEVER do that. Why would I? People who sell/bring machines with all the data on HDD don't care about their privacy or data anyway. I did contacted a person like this a few times for similar reasons, but got no reply.

I found TONS of games on retro machines this way. Once I did get a computer with personal data on it - SSN, tax info, all that - I DoD'd the drive and reinstalled what I needed on it, and then contacted the seller - "Hey you left your SSN and tax info on the drive, as well as the programs needed to read the files - I deleted everything on the drive, just wanted to tell you that this can be quite dangerous, and you should always delete etc." Reply - "Yeah I saw that, the data is old, so I left it."

Not even mad about not getting any acknowledgement, but unless you changed your SSN and tax information, that information does not really expire.

Reply 17974 of 27363, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-25, 22:26:

I found TONS of games on retro machines this way. Once I did get a computer with personal data on it - SSN, tax info, all that - I DoD'd the drive and reinstalled what I needed on it, and then contacted the seller - "Hey you left your SSN and tax info on the drive, as well as the programs needed to read the files - I deleted everything on the drive, just wanted to tell you that this can be quite dangerous, and you should always delete etc." Reply - "Yeah I saw that, the data is old, so I left it."

Not even mad about not getting any acknowledgement, but unless you changed your SSN and tax information, that information does not really expire.

Agree ! Put me in the "I do not wipe a drive until I see what is on it" group. Even with old XBOX or TIVO boxes I buy for the HD still look to see what is on them....a PC HD will double look it over...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17975 of 27363, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm always paranoid about keeping HDDs with stuff on it due to some pervert having shit like child porn on it or something. If I found something like that I'd feel compelled to report it, so I just DBAN them at earliest opportunity.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17976 of 27363, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-26, 03:41:

Agree ! Put me in the "I do not wipe a drive until I see what is on it" group. Even with old XBOX or TIVO boxes I buy for the HD still look to see what is on them....a PC HD will double look it over...

+1
I'm just too curious not to look. Though my drives generally come from companies sometimes with business data on them.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 17977 of 27363, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-01-26, 06:02:

I'm always paranoid about keeping HDDs with stuff on it due to some pervert having shit like child porn on it or something. If I found something like that I'd feel compelled to report it, so I just DBAN them at earliest opportunity.

Mine are usually from pre-internet era. The most debauched thing I found were pics of Pamela Anderson in gif format in size of a postal stamp 🤣. Usually it's DOS, Norton Commander, some database and Monkey Island ;D

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 17978 of 27363, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I occasionally found photo's on harddisks people gave to me. Since I know these people fairly well I explained to them it's best to wipe your harddisk properly before you give it away. Recently I sold my old computer, but not before completely reinstalling the OS from scratch and if I remember correctly I used some utility to overwrite any remains of deleted files. While I don't keep anything of any real interest on my hdds it just doesn't feel right to me not erase them properly before getting rid of them. Also, if a hdd went into the trash, it would first be thouroughly destroyed by me.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 17979 of 27363, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[...]

Don't go out of my way to look, but sometimes you stumble over stuff... once I found an old system in the street in front of my house. Booted it up and it booted straight through to Win98 with my neighbour's 2007-2012 tax returns on the desktop (this would have been around 2013). Next time I saw him I pointed out that it wasn't such a smart move. He just shrugged.

Nuance: this is Europe and as there is a centralized civil registry per country, things like SSN and passport data are far less easily abused than in places like US where that isn't the case. Still, I wouldn't leave mine out in the street regardless...