post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 1700 of 2204, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote on 2021-01-25, 18:01:

Wouldn't it look a lot better with the tandy beneath the monitor instead of on the floor?

sen7inel wrote on 2021-01-25, 13:33:

Behold my Tandy 425SX battlestation! A bit minimalist compared to some awesome rigs here but it is what it is.

Easier to work on the Tandy without leaving heavy CRT monitor dude.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 1701 of 2204, by dkjr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
https://i.ibb.co/WWGxBNh/Tandy-battlestation-Medium.png […]
Show full quote

Tandy-battlestation-Medium.png

Behold my Tandy 425SX battlestation! A bit minimalist compared to some awesome rigs here but it is what it is.

Damn nice sliding keyboard tray/monitor stand!

Reply 1702 of 2204, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

That looks amazing! That really gives me the retro feels for some reason. 😍

Reply 1703 of 2204, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

I had the Tandy 2500 SX/25 (386) model back in 1992-93. That entire Tandy model line usually had very good shielding underneath that exterior.

Reply 1704 of 2204, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my updated retro corner - It is not in its final stage, there will be two more PCs stuffed there and a KVM, as well as (FINALLY) a network connection for each one, and also I need to clean up the shelves a little.

Db2phyjl.jpg

This space used to be a light shaft that went from the entranceway and opened up to the upstairs hallway, where it had a little railing. I closed it up and expanded my office for this tiny corner, but now I can (lol when will I have the time?) enjoy my retro PCs.

See what I mean by corner?

EK6ZRmSl.jpg

I had to change up my shelves a bit, reoirent them to fit the corner better:

Qhx0QT2l.jpg

I'm working on getting a desk top sourced and cut so that it fits all the way over to the end wall over the filing cabinet, but with the pandemic, this is proving difficult (especially since my city may become entirely cut off from the rest of the province - UK strain has killed 64 old persons in a care home not 1 kilometer from my house... poor souls...)

I have also run Cat 6 all over the office and key places in the house such as living room, basement, and son's room (at least I ran the cable into the attic, he's 2, he doesn't need a drop yet 😁 )

B1w4ERsl.jpg

This excites me, I can finally network all my old gear together!

Also, I got my Ikea-PC integrated into the home entertainment system (it also has a drop now!)

A1KdASLl.jpg

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1705 of 2204, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the classic phone near the computer!!! Is it still working?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1706 of 2204, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Desk as of december 2020 😀

Attachments

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 1707 of 2204, by vellu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2021-02-04, 18:11:
This is my updated retro corner - It is not in its final stage, there will be two more PCs stuffed there and a KVM, as well as ( […]
Show full quote

This is my updated retro corner - It is not in its final stage, there will be two more PCs stuffed there and a KVM, as well as (FINALLY) a network connection for each one, and also I need to clean up the shelves a little.

Db2phyjl.jpg

This space used to be a light shaft that went from the entranceway and opened up to the upstairs hallway, where it had a little railing. I closed it up and expanded my office for this tiny corner, but now I can (lol when will I have the time?) enjoy my retro PCs.

See what I mean by corner?

EK6ZRmSl.jpg

I had to change up my shelves a bit, reoirent them to fit the corner better:

Qhx0QT2l.jpg

I'm working on getting a desk top sourced and cut so that it fits all the way over to the end wall over the filing cabinet, but with the pandemic, this is proving difficult (especially since my city may become entirely cut off from the rest of the province - UK strain has killed 64 old persons in a care home not 1 kilometer from my house... poor souls...)

I have also run Cat 6 all over the office and key places in the house such as living room, basement, and son's room (at least I ran the cable into the attic, he's 2, he doesn't need a drop yet 😁 )

B1w4ERsl.jpg

This excites me, I can finally network all my old gear together!

Also, I got my Ikea-PC integrated into the home entertainment system (it also has a drop now!)

A1KdASLl.jpg

Higher res pics please! Looking good!

retro rack

Reply 1708 of 2204, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2021-02-04, 18:22:

I love the classic phone near the computer!!! Is it still working?

I think it actually does work, but there's no POTS in my house.

vellu wrote on 2021-02-04, 19:40:

Higher res pics please! Looking good!

Haha, I'm afraid I didn't do a stellar job on the wall transitions and taping (corners came out OK though) - they're 6/10, I could make them 8/10, but that will wait until I sell the house, decide to repaint, or am super bored. This was my first time drywalling, I still have to do the hallway on the other side 🤣.

Let me clean it up a bit first 😁

Reply 1709 of 2204, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote on 2021-02-04, 19:37:

Desk as of december 2020 😀

I really need to get some MIDI in my life. Nice:D

Reply 1710 of 2204, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK here we go:

nyvUshjh.jpg

I did the floors, baseboards, and quarter round myself - that part I can say 9/10, baseboards need paint but for now they're presentable. It used to be a shitty carpet that a dog pissed on and then a teenager lived in (by the multiple pop stains of the outgoing carpet) - eventually I will do the whole upstairs, but this room had the worst of the carpet.

t9PJj5ih.jpg

I swear I had way more boxed games...

Behind me, the closet has been converted to a retro parts shelf array:

3ixoL5qh.jpg

It's a bit barren/messy as I have been moving stuff into the basement as I work on systems down there.

COnNfrBh.jpg

I plan to get those breadboxes out soon. I bought the VIC at a thrift store for $17, all I know is that it turns on. The Datasette I got in a separate auction for like, $3. No idea if it works.

egxNMUjh.jpg

The view from where I sit and work - I still have to cap the box on the ceiling and take care of the stucco - once the stores re-open I will.

sA96UqLh.jpg

The retro PC will get a lot of rays - I'll have to cover it with something, we get a LOT of sun in the summer.

Yeah, I gotta rearrange the stuff on this shelf a bit:

qEorlfAh.jpg

Reply 1711 of 2204, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice job on the remodel. I really like the flooring you picked out. The drywalling looks great it's a tough thing the first few times you hang it. It's the reason why I subbed that part out when we remodeled our house the rest me and my father in law did ourselves.

Reply 1712 of 2204, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-02-04, 20:21:

Nice job on the remodel. I really like the flooring you picked out. The drywalling looks great it's a tough thing the first few times you hang it. It's the reason why I subbed that part out when we remodeled our house the rest me and my father in law did ourselves.

I had a friend do the subfloor and lay the walls in - I had to tape them and mud them. I think I did OK, I learned, the other side of the wall will be next once I move the door from a 35 degree angle to a 90 degree angle - I might as well as the frame is slightly too small and when it's really cold outside, I can't latch the door closed (one part touches an external wall) and I can't stack more washers under the striker 🤣.

Reply 1713 of 2204, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built myself quite a nice little office/den space when we moved in to our new house back in 2014:

p1070352.jpg
Filename
p1070352.jpg
File size
37.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
p1070351.jpg
Filename
p1070351.jpg
File size
44.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
p1070350.jpg
Filename
p1070350.jpg
File size
42.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
p1070349.jpg
Filename
p1070349.jpg
File size
89.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Two functional areas - the main desk for my workstation and couple of old computers. The second desk/drawer set for retro gaming and consoles with a Sony PVM monitor and a stack of scart switches.

Loads of wall space for the obligatory Ikea book shelves, plus some of their kitchen/utility basket/rail system for storing controllers and the ever present odd bits and pieces.

img_20181106_205400.jpg
Filename
img_20181106_205400.jpg
File size
69.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Sadly this didn't last, and I had to relocate to a much smaller room several years ago.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1714 of 2204, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The current office space is probably half the size, so I had to lose most of the bookshelves and resorted to custom building the desk and some of the shelving myself to get what I wanted.

Desk getting built, with underhanging cable trays and 1U rack mounting brackets under the desk edge for AV controls:

img_20190428_164631.jpg
Filename
img_20190428_164631.jpg
File size
53.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

16 way scart switch for all the consoles:

img_20190505_175220.jpg
Filename
img_20190505_175220.jpg
File size
34.98 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The main desk area with all of my stuff in place:

img_20200319_091036.jpg
Filename
img_20200319_091036.jpg
File size
86.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Left hand shelving area with the stack of 8 and 16bit micros, consoles etc:

img_1521.jpg
Filename
img_1521.jpg
File size
73.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
img_1520.jpg
Filename
img_1520.jpg
File size
120.38 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The main aim for this setup was to have a single audio and video output device - there's simply no room for multple monitors.... as well as reducing the amount of input devices needed. Everything modern goes through a 16 port HDMI KVM mounted under the desk. Everything 'legacy' goes through a Belkin 16 port VGA KVM mounted on the computer shelving to the left. All the consoles go through the scart switch (a Hydra - but replaced by a pair of infinitely better gscartw switches) and into an OSSC. Everything VGA also goes into the OSSC. The OSSC then goes into the HDMI KVM. Result: one place to control the switching of all the 30 or so video input signals.

Reply 1715 of 2204, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've also just made the push out into our garage space. We had the house extended last summer and I've finally got space in the garage for my other hobby: cars! But as part of that, I decided to build myself a set of workbenches and storage to tidy things up.... but I couldn't help stop myself from building an electronics/computing facility there either 😁

To be fair, I recently acquired a 3D resin printer, and I do quite a bit of airbrush painting, soldering etc... so having an area that I can use where I'm not stinking the house up, or be in danger of the kids picking up something dangerous is quite sensible... or so I managed to convince my wife 😀

That said... it's been absolutely horrid weather in the UK since late October so I haven't managed to get the screed floor down in order to finish it off with an epoxy resin paint covering.

Still, come this spring/summer, it should be a nice space to work in.

img20210110145217.jpg
Filename
img20210110145217.jpg
File size
342.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
img20201229135245.jpg
Filename
img20201229135245.jpg
File size
93.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
img20201228180251.jpg
Filename
img20201228180251.jpg
File size
43.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
img20201213172939.jpg
Filename
img20201213172939.jpg
File size
73.77 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
img20201212174230.jpg
Filename
img20201212174230.jpg
File size
78.13 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

All of the wood for the storage came from leftovers from the building work - mainly old roof trusses which were pulled out when the garage was extended, as well as several pallets which I broke up cleaned up and stained. I think it all came out quite well - the only wood I actually paid for was a couple of MDF sheets for the top, so the storage was effectively free.

The latex screed and the resin floor paint for the ~42 square metre floor wiped out any potential savings though! 😁

Reply 1716 of 2204, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice setups all around, one day I'll build a part 2 in the basement when that gets redone. Inspiring photos!

megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:38:

I've also just made the push out into our garage space. We had the house extended last summer and I've finally got space in the garage for my other hobby: cars! But as part of that, I decided to build myself a set of workbenches and storage to tidy things up.... but I couldn't help stop myself from building an electronics/computing facility there either 😁

Hah, this year in the spring, I'm going to build a shed to the maximum legal size in my backyard, which will see my Matiz go in it for winter storage, so I can bring in my Pony (I have two now, I will have to extend the driveway as well) into the garage to finish up the last tweaking before I finally register it on the road after 12 years of being worked on - except for those 4 when I lived in Korea (hence the Matiz 🤣) but I do plan on making a large workbench in there, a place where I can also work on computers.

This year is gonna be project - filled for sure. I don't know if I'll even release one video on my channel 🙁 But I will get to enjoy what I have so, that's good-er?

Reply 1717 of 2204, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:25:
The current office space is probably half the size, so I had to lose most of the bookshelves and resorted to custom building the […]
Show full quote

The current office space is probably half the size, so I had to lose most of the bookshelves and resorted to custom building the desk and some of the shelving myself to get what I wanted.

Desk getting built, with underhanging cable trays and 1U rack mounting brackets under the desk edge for AV controls:
img_20190428_164631.jpg

16 way scart switch for all the consoles:
img_20190505_175220.jpg

The main desk area with all of my stuff in place:
img_20200319_091036.jpg

Left hand shelving area with the stack of 8 and 16bit micros, consoles etc:
img_1521.jpg
img_1520.jpg

The main aim for this setup was to have a single audio and video output device - there's simply no room for multple monitors.... as well as reducing the amount of input devices needed. Everything modern goes through a 16 port HDMI KVM mounted under the desk. Everything 'legacy' goes through a Belkin 16 port VGA KVM mounted on the computer shelving to the left. All the consoles go through the scart switch (a Hydra - but replaced by a pair of infinitely better gscartw switches) and into an OSSC. Everything VGA also goes into the OSSC. The OSSC then goes into the HDMI KVM. Result: one place to control the switching of all the 30 or so video input signals.

A PS2 with the HDD adapter between a PS3 and a Dreamcast? Sweet.
The mountain bikes don't look bad either.

Reply 1718 of 2204, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:38:

All of the wood for the storage came from leftovers from the building work - mainly old roof trusses which were pulled out when the garage was extended, as well as several pallets which I broke up cleaned up and stained. I think it all came out quite well - the only wood I actually paid for was a couple of MDF sheets for the top, so the storage was effectively free.

I like the way you did that, good sturdy looking things too!