VOGONS

First post, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I've recently acquired an Olivetti xana 53-120 which is a pentium 120 in a socket 7 mobo. The mobo is visually identical in every way to a socket 5 mobo found in a different model (Olivetti m24) apart from the cpu sockets being different. Jumpers etc all seem identical. There isn't an AGP port.
I'm wondering why they would release the same mobo with 2 different sockets. I'm hoping it's to use the dual voltage pin in socket 7 for mmx but didn't add the agp for cost (though it could be that they just stopped making socket 5s when mine was made).
The question is if there is anyway to tell? Having never had a super 7 mobo, do you get an extra voltage setting on the jumper or is it something that happens silently in the wiring of the mobo?
I have voltage settings for 3.3 and 3.5 only.
The other question I have is, does mmx really make much of a difference anyway?

Cheers

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 1 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends of the way your motherboard is made.
Some boards let you use the voltages below 3.3V, others don't. Boards with automatic settings exist but they're rare and I doubt any OEM have done this.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 7 has *optional* dual voltage planes, the fundamental required difference between So5 and So7 is the presence of the BF1 pin for 2.5x and 3x multipliers. So a lot of early So7 boards do not offer split voltage, only that extra multiplier to be able to use P54C CPUs above 133MHz.

And as for the "different socket", the socket itself is completely identical, it's just different wiring for at least one of th pins, that's all.

Voltage settings on So7 are typically done via jumper or dipswitch, there's no autodetect logic or voltage identifiers in the CPU.

Reply 3 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post pics and or the exact model number of the motherboard?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 15, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Olivetti motherboard https://imgur.com/gallery/hLL4G8h

Olivetti BA2306 is the model number
https://imgur.com/gallery/vj9OmuA

There is a voltage regulator with a big heat sink at the bottom right, might that have something to do with it?

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 5 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-01-30, 19:50:

And as for the "different socket", the socket itself is completely identical, it's just different wiring for at least one of th pins, that's all.

I believe this is true for the processor side, however the Socket 7 socket has an additional "KEY" position that is not present on Socket 5 sockets.
For referece I have included pictures of Socket 5 and Socket 7 with markings as well as the Pentium Processor Flexible Motherboard Design Guidelines (Appendix B / Pages 39-41).

Attachments

Reply 6 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-30, 19:12:

It depends of the way your motherboard is made.
Some boards let you use the voltages below 3.3V, others don't. Boards with automatic settings exist but they're rare and I doubt any OEM have done this.

be careful with the auto setting there are quite a few reports out there of the board setting it incorrectly.

The voltage is super easy to check.

Re: Dual CPU Socket 5/7 Boards

dionb wrote on 2021-01-30, 19:50:

Socket 7 has *optional* dual voltage planes, the fundamental required difference between So5 and So7 is the presence of the BF1 pin for 2.5x and 3x multipliers. So a lot of early So7 boards do not offer split voltage, only that extra multiplier to be able to use P54C CPUs above 133MHz.

Voltage settings on So7 are typically done via jumper or dipswitch, there's no autodetect logic or voltage identifiers in the CPU.

Check out other members replies above. Some good info in them.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 15, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. A diffinitive answer seems to be measuring the voltage, and it may be simple if you know how to use a multimeter (I don't), but can learn😁. That post measures between the chassis and the further most fet? presumably in my case that you'd be measuring between the chassis and a pin on the vrm, while running an mmx chip? to see if it knocks down to 2.8 or whatever for the chip. I've also found the vrm is a EZ1585CT and the spec docs are on the net (not that I really understand them) they suggest a range between 2.5 and 3.6v.

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 8 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I'm not mistaken you should have a transistor with large heatsink next to your CPU socket and between that and the outer edge of the board should be two rows of fifteen solder points, correct?
This is where an optional VRM module for split voltage support can be installed. If it's not present you should only have 3.3V (and maybe ~3.45V) avaliable.

Reply 10 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
charliegolf wrote on 2021-01-31, 11:13:

Thanks. A diffinitive answer seems to be measuring the voltage, and it may be simple if you know how to use a multimeter (I don't), but can learn😁. That post measures between the chassis and the further most fet? presumably in my case that you'd be measuring between the chassis and a pin on the vrm, while running an mmx chip? to see if it knocks down to 2.8 or whatever for the chip. I've also found the vrm is a EZ1585CT and the spec docs are on the net (not that I really understand them) they suggest a range between 2.5 and 3.6v.

look at the pic closly. Usually there will be two fets one will be the one you are looking for. Do not short something while poking the probe in there only touch the big tab on the fet nothing else and have someone else hood the negative lead so it doesn’t fall and distract you

Best to test voltage with a high voltage chip installed. If you get the wrong setting you are more likely to be fine.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw that heatsink in all likelyhood is live with the voltage you are looking to measure. That pic linked above looks like a single voltage motherboard. One fet? If so prob gonna need a cpu upgrade interposer.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 13 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dude wants way too much for it though 🤣 I got one the other day for 15$ max I’d say is 100$

I’m still looking for the k6III one from powerleap though

Another link

Socket 7 PowerLeap PL-K6-III (ultimate upgrade)

Last edited by Dominus on 2021-02-01, 10:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 15, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They seem crazy expensive. The reason I wanted to go faster was because I have a pci voodoo banshee and nowhere to put it, it's my only 3dfx card and wanted a glide machine. I'll use this olivetti for an early 3d machine and stick with a 200 and dos/win 95. I can probably build a pII or similar for less than what some people are asking for converters.

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 15 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please do not post ebay links

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper