VOGONS

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

People I was looking for a CPU internal cache slow down utility and I found this software called "CPUspd."

Which I found through here: CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming

And I have some questions about this slowdown software. Does this work on Windows 3.1? And does this have the ability to automatically disable the CPU L1 Cache when is DOS session and re-enabling the CPU internal Cache when exiting DOS session on Windows? I would like know please.

Reply 1 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-02-08, 18:19:

People I was looking for a CPU internal cache slow down utility and I found this software called "CPUspd."

Which I found through here: CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming

And I have some questions about this slowdown software.

Does this work on Windows 3.1?

You should download, run and tell us 😀

And does this have the ability to automatically disable the CPU L1 Cache when is DOS session and re-enabling the CPU internal Cache when exiting DOS session on Windows? I would like know please.

CpuSpd is not a TSR so the answer is no. BTW I do not think you can find any utility with such a feature.
But you can create batch files that start CpuSpd before your speed sensitive DOS programs run and also after they quit.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 5, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-02-08, 19:14:
You should download, run and tell us :) […]
Show full quote

And does this have the ability to automatically disable the CPU L1 Cache when is DOS session and re-enabling the CPU internal Cache when exiting DOS session on Windows? I would like know please.

CpuSpd is not a TSR so the answer is no. BTW I do not think you can find any utility with such a feature.
But you can create batch files that start CpuSpd before your speed sensitive DOS programs run and also after they quit.

How how do I make those batch files?

Reply 3 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-02-08, 19:52:
You should download, run and tell us :) […]
Show full quote

With a text editor? Make a text file and rename it such a way that you can recognize it and change its .txt extension to bat ( e.g. myprg1.bat.)
Then paste this (replacing your path and name of your cpuspd and game exe file):

@echo off

rem disabling cache
c:\cpuspd\cpuspd.exe cd

rem running program
c:
cd c:\myprg1
myprg1.exe

rem re-enabling cache
c:\cpuspd\cpuspd.exe ce

Then save the bat file and run it instead of running directly your c:\myprg1\myprg1.exe file.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2021-02-08, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 5, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-02-08, 20:13:
With a text editor? Make a text file and rename it such a way that you can recognize it and change its .txt extension to bat ( […]
Show full quote
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-02-08, 19:52:

With a text editor? Make a text file and rename it such a way that you can recognize it and change its .txt extension to bat ( e.g. myprg1.bat.)
Then paste this (replacing your path and name of your cpuspd and game exe file):

@echo off

rem disabling cache
c:\cpuspd\cpuspd.exe cd

rem running program
c:\myprg1\myprg1.exe

rem re-enabling cache
c:\cpuspd\cpuspd.exe ce

Then save the bat file and run it instead of running directly your c:\myprg1\myprg1.exe file.

I'll give that a try.

Reply 5 of 5, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I tried with Mad dog mcree but it gave me a system integrity error in couple of seconds.

UPDATE: Some how I had to remove my ctmouse line on the autoexec.bat file which is like two lines before "C:/Windows/win." And then I had to my ctmouse location line on the .bat file I created.