VOGONS

First post, by Sinephase

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone know of a way to make images scale to fit the screen, or if it's normal that they don't in dos? There's no control on the monitor for it so I'm hoping there's a driver that could work. Thanks in advance for any help! 😊

IMG_20210208_204527_844.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210208_204527_844.jpg
File size
871.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Sinephase on 2021-02-09, 02:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Careful with 8513 monitor, I know these as I had one at one time. It will only support 60Hz 640x480 and legacy resolutions.

You will have to rebuild the monitor with new capacitors and scrape out horrible, crumbling black glue. And back in the day, 8513 ate flyback transformers and had to be replaced.

I like later IBM monitor with knobs and button at bottom better as they were more reliable.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 3, by Sinephase

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-02-09, 00:39:
Careful with 8513 monitor, I know these as I had one at one time. It will only support 60Hz 640x480 and legacy resolutions. […]
Show full quote

Careful with 8513 monitor, I know these as I had one at one time. It will only support 60Hz 640x480 and legacy resolutions.

You will have to rebuild the monitor with new capacitors and scrape out horrible, crumbling black glue. And back in the day, 8513 ate flyback transformers and had to be replaced.

I like later IBM monitor with knobs and button at bottom better as they were more reliable.

Cheers,

Thanks for the heads up!

Apparently there are more than one revision but you can only identify them by their serial numbers. From what I can tell these problems are mainly due to them being left on too long, so hopefully this one has low running hours. Anyway, I opened her up and it was super clean inside as well, so here's hoping!
I have the revision that there's no good info about online. Just my luck. I was able to resize vertically and I ended up trying every pot. I could find but there's no horizontal size pot, only horizontal position. Pretty odd, but I think it's so old that the horizontal width is basically tuned on the actual tube itself, and I'm not gonna touch that stuff 🤣

Reply 3 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still need to replace the capacitors as this is symptom of gross image distortion. And this condition will lead to complete failure of one or more power transistors even power supply go up in smoke. Please don't keep fiddling.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.