VOGONS

First post, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I have an IBM Aptiva 2158 E. It's a Windows 98SE computer. It does have a PCI slot but the slot seems "short" - I tried a Radeon 7000 but the card seems too long, as if it was intended to be used in a motherboard where the PCI interface was set back further from the back of the case. I'm not really sure what the various PCI form factors are for cards this old. Could anyone give me some advice?

According to the manual, there are two PCI slots and one PCI/ISA slot. It supports AGP as per the manual.

If it helps, the manual for this model is here: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Ibm-21582 … 58-2750951.html

Battlestation: IBM Aptiva Series E 500 (Model 2158)
Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES 15" CRT
AMD K-6/2 400mhz
SoundBlaster Live! CT4780
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to that manual, the 2158 does not have AGP, yet the 2163 does.
From what you say, that radeon 7000 card sounds like AGP, which your 2158 does not appear to have, according to the manual.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 9, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-12, 16:32:

According to that manual, the 2158 does not have AGP, yet the 2163 does.
From what you say, that radeon 7000 card sounds like AGP, which your 2158 does not appear to have, according to the manual.

Thank you for pointing that out. I must have misinterpreted it. Do you have any recommendations for what card I should go with?

AMD K-6/2 400mhz
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something like a pci voodoo 3, geforce 2 mx, TNT or tnt2 in pci would be a good fit for a 400mhz K6.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 9, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Radeon 7xxx PCI might be a good choice in terms of price to value ratio. Faster than the TNTs, maybe equal to the V3 or Banchee but much cheaper. Any 3DFX card is a collectors item nowadays, and the rarer PCI ones are the most expensives)

Reply 5 of 9, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize that my original post can be kind of confusing.

Below is a photo of the PCI slots. I've also added a photo of the PCI slots with the Radeon 7000 sitting on top... as you can see, the PCI interface on the card is set too far back for this mobo. By looking at the photos, can you tell what PCI form factor I need?

PCI-1.jpg

Comparison.jpg

AMD K-6/2 400mhz
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 6 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroLiz wrote on 2021-02-14, 13:50:
I realize that my original post can be kind of confusing. […]
Show full quote

Below is a photo of the PCI slots. I've also added a photo of the PCI slots with the Radeon 7000 sitting on top... as you can see, the PCI interface on the card is set too far back for this mobo. By looking at the photos, can you tell what PCI form factor I need?

PCI-1.jpg

Comparison.jpg

That's an AGP video card.

Reply 8 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be glad you didn't manage to get that in there partially and power it on. You'd have likely seen some smoke. 😀

I would recommend doing some image searches for various slots and ports until you get more familiar with them.

I can't seem to locate a good basic guide to this stuff... most are rife with errors, which wouldn't be helpful. I'm sure someone will post one.

EDIT: Found this:
socket.jpg

Keep in mind, there can be variations of all of these. AGP cards can support different voltages and be keyed differently (the little notches will be different). Some may even be a different voltage but NOT keyed differently, so you have to do some research before mixing devices.

PCI can even have different keying as well, but it's not real common to come across a PCI card that won't fit in a 5v keyed slot like yours. A wikipedia search for these things will give pretty detailed information if you ever need it.

In your case, you simply need a PCI video card, rather than AGP. A comparable one is going to be much harder to find and generally more expensive (even though they are slower) than AGP, because fewer were made originally and now demand is higher due to the popularity of upgrading old systems for retro gaming. Be careful that you don't get a PCI-Express card, as these are not compatible.

Also, your motherboard has integrated ESS Solo audio, which is great for DOS and good for Windows 9x games. The Turtle Beach card that is installed is great for later 9x or XP games, but not so good for DOS.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroLiz wrote on 2021-02-14, 13:50:
I realize that my original post can be kind of confusing. […]
Show full quote

PCI-1.jpg

Comparison.jpg

As others have already pointed out, your Radeon is an AGP card. Your sound card is a PCI one. You can take both of them out and put them side by side and you will see the difference if you want.

Be glad that you weren't able to fit it in forcefully or you could have had a real hazard going on over at your place. So better be more careful and read a bit about the basics (and all relevant manuals of course).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!