VOGONS

First post, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some time ago, I received an A7V with an Athlon 800 from a colleague.
This weekend, I started building a new Windows 98 SE machine with it. So I removed the heatsink from the processor. What I saw was so funny, that I could not help making this picture:

ignore the dust, I will clean the components after testing 😉

IMG_20210208_220408099.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210208_220408099.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What is the worst thermal paste job you ever encountered?

Reply 1 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found so much paste on some systems that it was UNDER the CPU. No wonder those systems were not working 😀 And people say you can't have too much 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 15, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-02-11, 19:45:

I've found so much paste on some systems that it was UNDER the CPU.

Jokes aside, what about SS7 and S370 mainboards which have little temperature sensors under a socket? I never put thermal paste on them, but I guess it would create better contact between CPU and temperature sensor 😉

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 3 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't be surprised if a little got under the CPU in the photo, but I have seen worse. Back when I trawled local PC repair shops and scrounging their rooms/sheds full of old parts.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gabriel-LG wrote on 2021-02-11, 19:39:
Some time ago, I received an A7V with an Athlon 800 from a colleague. This weekend, I started building a new Windows 98 SE machi […]
Show full quote

Some time ago, I received an A7V with an Athlon 800 from a colleague.
This weekend, I started building a new Windows 98 SE machine with it. So I removed the heatsink from the processor. What I saw was so funny, that I could not help making this picture:

ignore the dust, I will clean the components after testing 😉IMG_20210208_220408099.jpg

What is the worst thermal paste job you ever encountered?

That is pretty bad xD 😜

At least it's the more generic white TIM and not something like AS5 which can be much more work to remove 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate the stuff.
Dont buy that cheap stuff because it separates as its mainly oil. And drips everywhere.

Once I was replacing a CPU that had Artic-4 paste on it. I accidentally dropped it on my beige carpet and then I accidentally
Stepped on it. It stuck to my white sock like peanut butter. Then I walked around the room and it put black stains all over
My carpet.

It made a mess.

Luckily I was able to get all the stains out with carpet cleaners and scrub brush I purchase at the dollar store.

But the stuff is messy. I hate working with it. It get everywhere.

Reply 6 of 15, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-02-12, 22:35:

I accidentally dropped it on my beige carpet and then I accidentally
Stepped on it. It stuck to my white sock like peanut butter. Then I walked around the room and it put black stains all over
My carpet.

I hope those white socks weren't wool... 😆
I'm not being serious, of course. But for those who hate thermal paste, there's now graphite thermal pads which offer up to 35w/m-k that I've personally seen and used on machines with violently higher TDPs than any retro or even mid 2000's machine could dream of pulling off. People often use them for overclocking modern processors, and they keep up better than a lot of thermal paste- compare that to the 8.5w/m-k that Arctic Silver MX-4, an excellent thermal paste in my opinion, provides.

And they're usually at 30x30 or 40x40mm, but for exposed die CPUs and the such, you could easily cut them down with scissors. They're almost paper thin as well, so work well in applications where thermal paste would normally be used, but not regular thermal pads which are at least 1mm thick. I will be using one of these in my upcoming Athlon 64 build.

Also, that CPU and thermal paste job looks suspiciously similar to the CPU and thermal paste job that Tom's Hardware used in that video where they disable the thermal protections on the AMD board so the CPU commits die and joins its ancestors in Computer Hell, where every second of eternity is just spent rendering a massive complex 3D scene whose realism surpasses that of human understanding, just to have Computer Hell's administrator close the program down and reopen it when it finally gets done, making the CPU start all over again.

Where am I?

Reply 7 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut - 73 W/mk. Best paste I know of. Can't be used with aluminium heatsinks though, and it is expensive.

Reply 9 of 15, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The worst thermal paste jobs where probably the ones iv done myself 😜

Putting a little too much paste on.... Gah! Ends up like taking apart a ice cream sandwich.

Damn you Ryzen and not having your little hot-dies all in the middle like Intel 😭

Reply 10 of 15, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a comparison video on thermal paste application methods posted on Newegg’s Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Newegg/posts/10158401478109168

It seems to me that an “X” pattern of paste spreads the best.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 14 of 15, by Gentlepoke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote on 2021-02-13, 14:50:
athlon-power wrote on 2021-02-13, 11:12:
amadeus777999 wrote on 2021-02-13, 10:52:

Looks like that cpu met Peter North.

oh god.

The retro hobby is one of passion.

At least it hit the target.