VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nicht,
Moderator or not, I don't appreciate you closing my thread so soon. Am I not allowed to ask such a question here? The only two games listed in that old thread hardly constitutes a discussion on the subject, let alone a comprehensive list.

Robert

Reply 1 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not Nicht, but I'll bite:

1.) Milliways, as described in the forum descriptions, is for "announcements, advice, random banter, unrelated discussion, et cetera." Your thread re: most memory taxing DOS games is actually considered related in these parts, at least by me, and so the appropriate forum could have been chosen. Surely you can see how having a list of the most memory-taxing DOS games could be a useful thing.

2.) We seem to have a trend going here at VOGONS of resurrecting old threads by adding replies, versus starting new threads. It's an informal thing and not necessarily one that is a set standard in any way. But it's what I've observed. (the "Information Repository" idea versus the "Standard Messageboard" idea)

No offense given or taken. Just pointing this out. Not trying to start a flamewar. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 8, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I'm being pushed around here. Let me clarify a few things.

1) I have never heard of the Vogons forum before yesterday. I actually posted it in the VDMSound forum. I had noticed the VDMSound forum had changed, and wondered what Vlad did. I guess he offloaded his support to you guys? In either case, I just linked from the VDMSound page as I have for months and didn't think much about the different forum software at the time.

2) My thread was moved to Milliways by one of you guys. I never posted there. Check the VDMSound forum to see it was moved by a moderator.

3) Now that it was moved (by you guyz), and deemed out of context for Milliways, it was closed.

You can see my frustration, especially since I never saw that old thread about the same topic.... since I've never heard of VOGONS before yesterday!

Robert

Reply 3 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please, in the future, run a search to see if there is such a thread already. I was the one that closed that thread, BTW, because, as was pointed out, there is already one. Don't think this is a strike against you, it's just an attempt to keep things in as few places as possible because, as you probably know, it's not fun trying to find stuff and then having to sift through hundreds of pieces just to find the one you're looking for.

I was also the one that asked Vlad if he would be interested in moving the VDMSound forum here and, after Bravenet decided to go down, the "official" switch was made. There was no "offloading" on his part.

I, and all the other moderators here at VOGONS, appreciate your taking the time to voice your concerns.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 8, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to reiterate again, I did do a search and no such topic was ever posted in the VDMSound forum. **You** moved it to the Milliways forum, where it then became a duplicate topic.

In either case, my original argument stands. I wanted to know from others a good list of DOS games that were conventional memory challenges. As I can see you don't care to reopen my original thread, I'll just take my "forum posting" business elsewhere.

Robert

Reply 5 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I said, mate, there's already one available. The VDMSound forum and VOGONS have essentially merged, and as such, there's no reason for two different threads saying the same thing. The forums here aren't mutually exclusive.

I am sorry that you don't feel that there is a way to work this out. I do hope that in the future you'll return.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heck, the whole reason VOGONS was created was that there was tons too many off-topic posts in the VDMSound forum. People kept trying to post their technical support requests, and eventually the discussions would end up usually going way off-topic. Or people would post off-topic stuff to begin with. So we (Mr. Snover, actually) created a place where there could be off-topic posts - in other forums on a messageboard, and as Colin said, the VDMSound forum ended up moving here. And hopefully this has decreased Vlad's reading time considerably....

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by valnar Nicht, Moderator or not, I don't appreciate you closing my thread so soon.

Ok, you've lost me. I didn't close your thread. I simply found it funny that a new thread started up on the exact same topic, but in a different section of the motherboard and I refered to it. I was pointing back to the original so that people would all add to the same area. This way people could go to one place for a list instead of having to to scan everywhere else.

Am I not allowed to ask such a question here?

If you weren't, I 'm sure your post would've been deleted. It wasn't.

The only two games listed in that old thread hardly constitutes a discussion on the subject, let alone a comprehensive list.

The idea was whenever someone saw my post, I would hope that they would think of a good example of "memory-pig" game. These would make up a list of titles for conventional memory touble-shooting. Yes, the thread is old...so are the games...not sure what your point is here. I'm not going to restart the same thread over and over and over simply because it's not constantly updated.

OK, I'm being pushed around here.

You are? Valnar, relax. Nobody here is out to ruin your day.