VOGONS

First post, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just acquired an internal Gotek floppy emulator and thinking about using it with the FlashFloppy firmware and perform the OLED mod. But I would like to be able to leverage both floppy image and copy individual files as if I am coping to a floppy disk. Looking at the Phils video on his YouTube channel, the software he leverages allows this. https://www.philscomputerlab.com/gotek-floppy-emulator.html

Would you loose the ability to use that software with the FlashFloppy firmware?

I also like the idea of adding a speaker and an eject/insert button, are these supported on the factory firmware?

Reply 1 of 48, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-06-03, 21:19:

I just acquired an internal Gotek floppy emulator and thinking about using it with the FlashFloppy firmware and perform the OLED mod. But I would like to be able to leverage both floppy image and copy individual files as if I am coping to a floppy disk. Looking at the Phils video on his YouTube channel, the software he leverages allows this. https://www.philscomputerlab.com/gotek-floppy-emulator.html

Would you loose the ability to use that software with the FlashFloppy firmware?

I also like the idea of adding a speaker and an eject/insert button, are these supported on the factory firmware?

eject button is purely mechanical for the most part on floppy drives I don't think there would be a way to emulate that other than selecting a blank slot with the gotek, to write files like a real floppy you'd need a blank floppy disk image, not tried that myself as i only use mine for loading amiga games.

Reply 2 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FlashFloppy firmware is compatible with HxC's Windows/DOS selector software which is superior in every way to the factory stuff. There is absolutely no reason to not flash to FlashFloppy.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 48, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The stock Gotek firmware is absolute trash, I wonder who came up with the idea of using one giant file to store disk images.

My Gotek is flashed with FlashFloppy. I'm not using the HxC mode or selector software, if I need to copy a few files I just create an empty disk image and use mtools to copy files to the image. Sorry, no idea how to do this in Windows.

Reply 4 of 48, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In Windows, WinImage can be used to drag&drop files from and into image files..
On macOS, no additional software is required. Just double click on an image file and it will become a drive symbol on the desktop.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 48, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The FlashFloppy firmware makes the Gotek actually useful and is so easy to do via USB, no soldering required - I just cut up a paperclip to temporarily bridge the required headers.

If you use the HXC selector software, then you don't absolutely need to do the OLED mod as you'll be navigating disk images with it's menu instead and only using the LED display to select the defined slot numbers. Generally however, the OLED mod makes it so much easier to navigate the contents on your USB stick and is cheap & easy to do. Myself personally I don't use any of the HXC stuff, I did the OLED mod and navigate disk images on the Gotek itself.

Reply 6 of 48, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HXC mode is what allows me to read/write to the drive like a normal floppy? Sorry been reading up and watching YouTube videos, but that is not something I seen much on. I plan on doing the OLED, speaker, and eject button mod. I also like the idea of FlashFloppy's ability to start ejected and adding the speaker for effect. But I also would like to have the ability to write an img back to one of the floppy slots. But I also want to be able to toggle to a slot and simply copy a file from another source (hard drive, cd-rom, another floppy drive) to the emulated floppy.

Maybe I am misunderstanding a basic concept, it was my understanding that data was stored in img (100 or 1000 img files designated to a slot) on the USB drive regardless. Host software would allow you to open one of these image files and copy data to that slot. But on the system where the Gotek is installed, from say DOS, I would choose a slot then I can do a DIR of that floppy disk. So I guess what I am asking is if I use flash floppy, can I predefine say 100 floppy disks and have the name of the img files on the USB correspond to the volume label of the floppy disk. That way as I rotate through the slots I still see the filename/label of the diskette I want to choose, then hit the eject/insert button. Is this HXC mode?

So in Native mode then, I can only select through img files that I put on the USB drive, there are no predefined empty slots. Could I simply create a bunch of empty img files and put them on the USB drive, then read/write to one in the host computer from say DOS?

I have been using RawWrite to backup disks to img files and write them back again. I plan on putting it in a system that has a 3.5" floppy drive and make the Gotek drive B. Thinking this would allow me to write back an image file like I have been with a normal floppy, toggle to another slot and copy an individual file if needed to "another floppy"...

Reply 7 of 48, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reviving this old thread since I was curious about FlashFloppy as well. I recently started using my GoTek device and have the USB drive split into 100 floppies, but I'd like to be able to put images onto the USB from my Mac as well. Does the FlashFloppy software just dump img files onto the USB and then with the FlashFloppy firmware the GoTek device just leads the images instead of the 100 induvidual partitions?

Reply 8 of 48, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dave343 wrote on 2021-01-31, 20:30:

Reviving this old thread since I was curious about FlashFloppy as well. I recently started using my GoTek device and have the USB drive split into 100 floppies, but I'd like to be able to put images onto the USB from my Mac as well. Does the FlashFloppy software just dump img files onto the USB and then with the FlashFloppy firmware the GoTek device just leads the images instead of the 100 induvidual partitions?

Yes.

There are multiple mode of operation and in default native mode all you need is to put your .img files to USB.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 9 of 48, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2021-02-01, 00:09:
dave343 wrote on 2021-01-31, 20:30:

Yes.

There are multiple mode of operation and in default native mode all you need is to put your .img files to USB.

I’m going to do the oled mod for my GoTek but in the interim, I can still use the flash floppy with the stock 3 digit screen? Obviously I guess I can only use one image at a time since I can’t see the .img file name.

Also, you mention multiple operating modes, does that mean with the flash floppy firmware I can use USB keys with both the 100 partitions as well as other USB keys with the .img files dumped onto them? I’m tempted to take this task on tonight 😁

Reply 10 of 48, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dave343 wrote on 2021-02-01, 02:27:

I’m going to do the oled mod for my GoTek but in the interim, I can still use the flash floppy with the stock 3 digit screen? Obviously I guess I can only use one image at a time since I can’t see the .img file name.

Yes, there is a mode for that, Indexed Mode I think it's called. You basically write the floppy images to the USB with names like DSKA0000.IMG, DSKA0001.IMG, DSKA0002.IMG, ... in order to map them to the 3 digit display.

Reply 11 of 48, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.google.com/search?q=gotek+oled+di … mobile&ie=UTF-8

Oh cool. I just ordered a gotek and had no idea of these mods

Well, actually, looks like it’s no name brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-144MB-Upgrade-Fl … d6-ed3554928127
Did I mess up?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 13 of 48, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkjr wrote on 2021-02-01, 08:35:

I got the cheapest gotek from Aliexpress and it works very well. I haven't seen any fake goteks.

Fake Gotek? Can there be such a thing?

I always thought that goteks were a low budget knockoff of the HxC2001 device that were produced so cheaply by so many different Chinese contract shops that they drove the original players out of the market.

Am I off base?

Curiously, HxC2001 makes a firmware for Goteks now.

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/ … irmwareForGotek

Reply 15 of 48, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are no 'fake' Goteks but newer revisions don't seem to be flashable via common methods.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 48, by monsterbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I just bought a gotek from aliexpress (SFR1M44-U100K).
According to FlashFloppy web page, I should have no compatibility problems with this model....
But, since it's a "2021" model, and you mentioned that issue with newer version, do you think I'll have problems trying to flash it ??

My main goal is to use it with an old Roland XP-60 synth (uses regular IBM/PC 1.44 floppy).
I read about the possibility to flash gotek without the need of a usb/ttl serial converter (see video below):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUOyZB9cro4

So I was expecting to have it "running" FlashFloppy , and also make the oled / rotary encoder mod

appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-01, 13:58:

There are no 'fake' Goteks but newer revisions don't seem to be flashable via common methods.

Reply 17 of 48, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve got 2 of those SFR1M44-U100Ks, that I purchased in the past week. Both flashed to FlashFloppy, via the direct USB flash method, just fine.

- Alex

Reply 18 of 48, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have also Gotek, but i was unable to use it with Microsoft 3.5-DMF format images, can FlashFloppy read those or it is limited to 1.44mb?

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files