VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have my ASUS P2B-D based system and up and with running Windows 98 SE. I am trying to now install XP as a dual boot or on a second hard drive, but I am not having any luck with setup.

It reaches the point of "Setup is Starting Windows", then hangs about 5 minutes while intermittently accessing the CD and then finally blue screens with an 0x0000007F error. Trying with Windows 2000 also gave the same result. Once, however, it made it all the way to copying files from the CD and then crapped out on copying over driver.cab ; trying to get it to retry resulted it graphical weirdness on the screen. (See attached photo.)

I have verified there are no memory errors with MemTest86. I have also tried different hard drives, cables and IDE channels. Even used different installer CDs. The only thing that "works" is disconnecting all hard drives. XP setup then quickly and happily loads to the point of where it says no hard disks found.

This makes me think there is perhaps some issue between NT Windows and the IDE chipset on this board? Any suggestions on what else I might try? I do not have an PCI IDE controller card handy, but that's what I'm thinking of attempting next.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have 2 CPU's installed? if you do then its due to the buggy ACPI.
As soon as setup loads the blue text based screen like your pic above tap F5 like crazy
Then select Standard PC as the machine type.

This'll mean the PC no longer powers off when you shutdown just so your aware.

Reply 2 of 11, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-13, 08:57:
Do you have 2 CPU's installed? if you do then its due to the buggy ACPI. As soon as setup loads the blue text based screen like […]
Show full quote

As soon as setup loads the blue text based screen like your pic above tap F5 like crazy

No, just one, there is a terminator in the second slot, but I'll give the F5 a try in any case while I am waiting on the controller card.

Curiously I noticed there was a 'Enable/Disable' for a 'SCSI BIOS' in the the BIOS. It was enabled. I found this strange was my board variant doesn't have any onboard SCSI. After disabling it XP setup now throws an 'unmountable volume' error. Out of curiosity, I tossed in a Windows 7 installer DVD, and... crash in the same place as XP and 2K setup.

Reply 3 of 11, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AntiRevisionism wrote on 2021-02-13, 15:27:
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-13, 08:57:
Do you have 2 CPU's installed? if you do then its due to the buggy ACPI. As soon as setup loads the blue text based screen like […]
Show full quote

No, just one, there is a terminator in the second slot, but I'll give the F5 a try in any case while I am waiting on the controller card.

Curiously I noticed there was a 'Enable/Disable' for a 'SCSI BIOS' in the the BIOS. It was enabled. I found this strange was my board variant doesn't have any onboard SCSI. After disabling it XP setup now throws an 'unmountable volume' error. Out of curiosity, I tossed in a Windows 7 installer DVD, and... crash in the same place as XP and 2K setup.

BX boards are very solid and supported by almost anything.
So any problems installing the usual OS's would suggest something broken.

Possibly the board has been flashed with an incorrect BIOS?
Anyways, do a memtest.
Ultimate boot-cd is probably the easiest way.

Reply 4 of 11, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IDE could be a problem, since BX only UDMA33 and most newer HDDs may have DMA CRC errors , but if you have W98 with DMA transfers and it working without issues like painful slowdowns or file system errors, problem should be elsewhere. External UDMA100/133 or SCSI card (+HDD) is good to have if not for setup but at least for troubleshooting.

Reply 6 of 11, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It did not detect system wrongly but P2B series have hardware problem with ACPI. Asus also had rework guide for it so that ACPI will work as it should. I also had to perform the same mod both on my P2B-D and my XG-DLS (dual Slot2 board).

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=838874

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 7 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I got stuck with same thing years ago on my DS board, and forgot all about it till again few years later when I did a rebuild, that was enough for it to finally stick in my mind!
Thought it only happened when I installed a 2nd CPU, another thing I didn't remember it seems 😜
it's a great motherboard though, you NEED to get that 2nd slot filled! 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-15, 11:22:

Definitely considering it. Thinking if I want go with another 600 MHz PIII CPU, or get a set of something a bit better. Unfortunately higher end slot 1 PIIIs with 100 MHz FSBs seem rather pricey on eBay.

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AntiRevisionism wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:26:

Definitely considering it. Thinking if I want go with another 600 MHz PIII CPU, or get a set of something a bit better. Unfortunately higher end slot 1 PIIIs with 100 MHz FSBs seem rather pricey on eBay.

The decision may be made for you, unless you have revision 1.06 then 99% chance 600Mhz Katmai is as high as you can go unless you want to upgrade the VRM soldered on the board.

Reply 10 of 11, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One can also tape vcore contacts on Slot1 CPU to get 1.8volts and use Coppermine CPU's.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 11 of 11, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-17, 09:36:
AntiRevisionism wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:26:

The decision may be made for you, unless you have revision 1.06 then 99% chance 600Mhz Katmai is as high as you can go unless you want to upgrade the VRM soldered on the board.

Mine is indeed a revision 1.06.