VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would a 200MHZ Pentium handle running a game from Dameon Tools or would this be too CPU intensive and cause slowdown?

Reply 1 of 11, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used it with Windows 98 and didn't noticed any problem, but Alcohol 120% is better from my point of view, I think it's a bit faster. And Clone CD was also very god. Daemon tools isn't as good as people thinks.

Reply 3 of 11, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update here, I swapped out my ISA Awe 32 for a PCI Sound Blaster Live, model CT4760, and now the Analog Audio option actually works, using the VXD driver. I've only tested Quake and MechWarrior 2 ATI Rage Version so far. With the Awe 32 I would see horrendous lag, with the Analog Audio option enabled in Daemon Tools, and not actually hear any CDDA audio. With the SB Live there is some performance penalty in Quake, so not a perfect solution, but I can hear the CD audio, just glad I got it working at this point.

This is all under Windows 98SE with Daemon Tools 3.47.

Reply 4 of 11, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And a 2nd update, discovered that CD audio did not work with WinQuake or GLQuake or with Half Life. So I installed the WDM drivers and now that’s working as well. The impact to performance is noticeable though with audio stutter even on the start-up sound. Games pause while tracks switch, etc. This is a socket 7 machine running a K6-2 400Mhz cpu for the moment so it might not have enough oomph to run WDM and CD Audio Emulation well but it works.

Reply 8 of 11, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay figured it out. As mentioned in another thread, Direct Sound Hardware Acceleration must be turned off and then I see the following audio device as (emulated). If it doesn’t say (emulated) it won’t work.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

having to turn off directsound acceleration kind of defeats the purpose of even having a live! card though.

maybe a faster system with 2k/XP is the way to go for daemon tools, i'm sure with the better network performance there you could access images over SMB on your main PC or something, which is a lot more convenient than putting them one by one on an SD card.

Reply 11 of 11, by guest_2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-02-15, 02:56:

Totally agree but really want to avoid using an actual optical drive on this machine. Although I have another idea.

Hi, what other idea did you have?

I have the sane issue but with an ISA Soundblaster 16 (CT2230)

I’m using VXD drivers and CD audio through Daemon tools is working. Oddly Quake has huge lag making the menu hardly even work, talking 1 or 2fps max.

Some games Work fine though, e.g. Motoracer, though there are stutters dver few seconds if the ISO is located on the drive where the game is being played from. If i have the ISO on a USB2 stick and mount in Daemon tooks off that, no issues at all. Same for Aliens vs Predator.
Forsaken there are stutters, even when mounted from USB.

Quake seems to be the really bad one. I don’t think its ISA bandwidth related as have no probkems with Quake 3 or Unreal tournament using the ISA SB16. As soon as I use CDs instead of Daemon tooks emulation, no problems.

I have Daemon tooks drive set to D: at the moment with E as my cd drive and F at my dvd rw drive. G is used for USB2