VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember Homestar Runner? This new piece of content dropped recently, regarding this thing called FriendlyWare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvscxQN1JlA

Prominently featured in the video at around 9:49 is a bug that is trivial to replicate via the Archive.org emulator:
LINK REMOVED
Start the emulator, press E, type a name, press Enter, press N, then 1, then any letter (except Y or Z).

The bug appears to relate to the command "SOUND x*2+22,.0001". Sadly, no one in the Youtube comments seems to know exactly why this should constitute an "illegal function call". Surely it worked on the hardware of its era? Is it an incompatibility with DOSBox?

/EDIT Removed link to unsupported dosbox version but more importantly "abandonware" copy of game on IA.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-02-19, 00:43. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a speed-related issue. I can reproduce the error when running DOSBox at the default "cycles" setting of 3000. When I set the "cycles" setting to 320 before running the game, no error is produced.

Reply 2 of 4, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also notice that a common download of this game uses BASIC.EXE from Tandy DOS, which will have no sound at all on a non-Tandy computer, and which most certainly is not the originally-intended interpreter version. Using non-Tandy GWBASIC.EXE v3.23 also solves the illegal function call issue.

Reply 3 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2021-02-17, 05:18:

...a bug that is trivial to replicate via the Archive.org emulator:

That's what happens when you use an automated script to slap the default DOSBox settings onto every game regardless of what it actually requires, and then pretend you're doing "preservation". 🤷

Speaking of weirdo BASIC errors, there's still a prize out on the mysterious "Error 241" check in IBM's Arithmetic Games...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, I'm glad that little riddle is solved.

VileR wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:22:

That's what happens when you use an automated script to slap the default DOSBox settings onto every game regardless of what it actually requires, and then pretend you're doing "preservation". 🤷

Well, they do call it "experimental and very new technology" in the rather poorly-written FAQ. I would try to E-mail Mr. Scott but his inbox is probably an absolute horror show.