VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a WD1600AAJB Caviar SE IDE hard drive. I would like to limit it from 160GB to 32GB so I can use it in Windows 98. However the jumpers don't have any setting to limit it to 32GB and I've had a look on Google to see if there is. "standard" setting or anything but no luck.

Does anyone know how to limit it? Would using an access mode other than LBA help?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/hdparm.8.html
See the "-N" parameter, ie. "Host Protected Area".

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 5, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2021-02-17, 16:57:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/hdparm.8.html
See the "-N" parameter, ie. "Host Protected Area".

If run from Linux, will this retain the settings for a Windows installation? I did read it, but am unclear on whether it just needs setting once and will be as permanent as required.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"-Np" is supposed to be permanent...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 5, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I might find that useful at some point.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 32gb size limit is for the BIOS, win98se supports fat32, and you can create more than one partition, a drive overlay software may help you if its a BIOS limit. Motherboard Model?