First post, by DeadnightWarrior
I couldn't figure out if it is indeed an original Yamaha or some kind of AIB.
I'm dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP3 on the following machine:
- AMD Athlon 2800+
- Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
- 2Gb DDR ram (1Gb under Win98SE using himemx)
- Sapphire ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb AGP 8x
- 120Gb Crucial BX500 SSD with SATA to IDE adapter
- LG GSA-H58N IDE DVD drive
- Under Win98SE the YMF724F sounds great, powerful and clean...
- Under WinXP it sounds awfully loud and distorted...
- but in BOTH OSes, whenever there's a disc in the optical drive, I can clearly hear it spinning through the speakers! It can get VERY annoying and I really don't know how is it possible.
- Adding to this, I don't have working CD music in games like Quake, Quake II, Tomb Raider and such (all of them are the original vanilla retail CD versions).
The analogic audio cable is connected to the "COM3" port on the sound card.
Would it help to use another of those ports (I think I have the right connector to plug in there)?
I also read somewhere that it could be a matter of which PCI slot the card is inserted in: right now it sits right next to the AGP slot. I should mention that with a Sound Blaster Live and a Terratec ESS Solo1 I didn't have this background noise issue.
Any help will be very appreciated 😀.