VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bill54

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have only just discovered DosBox, which I hope will enable me to continue using a favourite Dos-based database application, called Masterfile Professional. I have installed DosBox, and everything is working fine except for a display glitch, which is that there is a line of the previous screen visible at the foot of the present screen (See attached screenshot) and, sometimes, the top left corner of the previous screen is pasted at the bottom right corner of the present screen. I have tweaked the 'output' line in the config file, but without success. I would be grateful for any advice please. Thanks.
Also, does the separate status window always have to be visible?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That sort of display glitch might be fixed in SVN. You can try an SVN build of DOSBox, but please understand that DOSBox focuses on DOS games, not applications, and multi-user features are not implemented. You may be better off with forks of the DOSBox source, such as vDosPlus, or another virtualization entirely.

Reply 2 of 3, by Bill54

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many thanks for your helpful reply. In the meantime, I have solved the problem's symptom. MPRO, the application had its own resolution settings. When I reset it to 25 lines (the DOS basic, I believe), the display problem went. However, the question now is: Is there any way of persuading DOSBox to accept higher MPRO resolutions, e.g. 50, so I can make better use of screen space? I'll look into your suggestions to see if they can help. Thanks again.

Reply 3 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may want to have a look at DOSBox-X. It supports non-game applications and it also supports other text modes and even has TTF support for nicer output of text applications.

e.g.
dosbox-x -set output=ttf -c "mode con cols=132 lines=60"