VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No question, just thought I share photos of my Gravis Ultrasound and the 16 bit daughter board. I got both of these in '93 or maybe early '94, replacing my then Sound Blaster Pro until I figured out that the Ultrasound SB emulation sucked and that I could have both cards in the same system at the same time. 😁

Played countless of hours of Doom through this thing on my 486DX-40 with ET4000/W32 VLB. Good times!

XDA58HJ.jpg

l2JJ4fD.jpg

Reply 3 of 9, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

What does this daughter board do?

It's a 16-bit Crystal codec for the GUS, it gives the ability of 16-bit recording and also 16-bit DMA playback, apparently at the right address(es) to be WSS compatible. So it may be a better option than a GUS Max or PnP which contain the codec but at a "wrong" address.
It should be supported by WSS compatible games (like Turrican II or Tomb Raider or Quake - but Quake knows the Max and the PnP too) and music software (like Impulse Tracker or Cubic Player 2.6), and hopefully some late demos with the Midas library.

If the program uses software playback (DMA streaming) it's often MUCH less taxing on the hardware. On many chipsets you lose like 30% of the frame rate with plain GUS during DMA streaming (=all along the game) but a codec like this brings it down to normal SB level. There are a few chipsets that are free of this problem, though, like the mighty BX or VIA 694T. But most (all?) Socket 7 chipsets, for example, are plagued by it.

Hmmm, I'd like to find one for one of my Classics.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 9, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After hearing about the daughterboard when I read my first Ultrasound review in 1993/4, I have never seen one until now. I was beginning to think they might have been vapourware!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5 of 9, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
is anybody there who has the original installation diskettes for the GUS daughter board? An original installation program v4.11 for GUS/GUS MAX does not recognize this daughter board.
I only found this manual (also in PDF )and tried a guy from that place but got an negative answer.
https://llg.cubic.org/docs/

thanks.

Reply 6 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately I no longer have the original installation disks. However, in an old CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT I found the following lines:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\ULTRA16\ULTRINIT.SYS ULTRASND=220,1,1,11,7,530,3,5,0,0
SET ULTRASND=220,1,1,11,7
SET ULTRA16=530,3,5,0,0
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRA16
SET GUSMOD=C:\ULTRA16\MOD
PATH=C:\ULTRASND;C:\DOS;C:\ULTRA16
LH C:\ULTRA16\ULTRINIT.EXE -ej

I'm unsure what version of ULTRINIT.SYS accepts the 16 bit daughter board settings, I believe v4.11 are the latest, correct? Maybe an older version would accept these parameters? Not sure...

http://www.gravisultrasound.com/utilities.htm