VOGONS

Reply 2540 of 3172, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received my 2 ARGUS cards a week ago and finally found time during the weekend to solder everything.
What can I say: both cards are working, even though my soldering skills are not good at all.
I am really happy!

Thanks a lot to shock!

Reply 2541 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Adding ram to the Reveal WAVExtreme 32 is likely possible, but would involve a lot of manual rewiring in a data path that might be slightly timing critical - I wouldn't bother with that.
Even tho there are no concrete plans for the open run yet, I can quite surely say that I don't intend to sell the PCBs _without_ InterWaves. No need to salvage cards when I still have stock left. Also keep in mind that transplanting QFP160 is not trivial (i've successfully done so in the past, but it's not what I'd call enjoyable).

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2543 of 3172, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still interested whenever you feel ready to go ahead with a larger run. I agree with your point about soldering the QFP160, that's a bit too hard for most people. I'm moderately good at soldering, but I hate soldering large QFP chips. If you've got a stencil or you're good at drag soldering, it's best that you do it.

Reply 2544 of 3172, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well those qfps were baked onto the cards in an oven, so they will come off and on the same way, hot air and lots of flux.

Simply requires the proper tools.
https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/970x728/3941-04.jpg

Reply 2549 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Shock, have you got a new batch of PCBs on the way or in your hands?. I've been a big fan of the Gravis since forever but gave one of mine away in the late 90s (to another big fan who didn't have one) and I'm kinda paranoid of my last one surviving long term usage. So I'd like one of these PCBs. I don't think I'd have any trouble building the card.

Last edited by elfoam on 2021-03-10, 17:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2550 of 3172, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so any easy way to order all the materials to build without having to order each item one by one? Anyone have a digikey/mouser bill of materials? sorry if there is somewhere in 128 pages and I missed.

Reply 2551 of 3172, by bnz99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there already a ballpark price for this once a public run takes place? I'm just curious about that in my decision whether to wait or grab something from ebay. I'm sure interwave +pcb+parts will be quite a bit more than the $30 or mentioned in the first post, right?

Reply 2552 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bnz99 wrote on 2021-03-10, 18:46:

Is there already a ballpark price for this once a public run takes place? I'm just curious about that in my decision whether to wait or grab something from ebay. I'm sure interwave +pcb+parts will be quite a bit more than the $30 or mentioned in the first post, right?

I've gone ahead and started buying the parts in the hope a PCB will come later, I'll let you know how much they were once I have them all. I got 3 interwave ICs for like 35 bucks shipped so that was ok. Cheaper than buying an original GUS at 200 dollars+. I only have old PCs to watch demoscene demos so a GUS is totally essential for me.

Reply 2553 of 3172, by bnz99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Same for me. Built a 486 and demoscene stuff without a GUS is just so incredibly annoying. I can also solder smd ic's so pcb only would also be an interesting option for me, but I guess it's not how shock intends to sell it.

Reply 2554 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bnz99 wrote on 2021-03-10, 19:37:

Thanks. Same for me. Built a 486 and demoscene stuff without a GUS is just so incredibly annoying. I can also solder smd ic's so pcb only would also be an interesting option for me, but I guess it's not how shock intends to sell it.

No clue how they are being sold, but I like to be prepared in the meantime 😀. I've been caught out on waiting to buy old IC's.. later.. and then boom.. there's none left in the world. PCBs are forever, no problem there.

Reply 2556 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Public run will very likely include InterWaves as mentioned a few pages ago.
I have no idea how the public run will be priced or if I will include anything but the InterWave with the PCB ... nor when it will happen, except that it will be _after_ every donor/backer has his/her PCB(s).

Guess why this project has been taking so long ... I absolutely dislike the logistics and book-keeping parts.
If you wouldn't respond positively to "wait let's say 2 more years" I'd say your best bet is getting your GUS from somewhere else - but that's up to you in the end of course.

I've never made a digikey/mouser partslist. If anyone wants to do that, that's cool, wouldn't mind pinning it to the first post.

[Z?]

Reply 2557 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can wait two years and I'm ok with getting a PCB with with InterWave soldered , included in a bag or not at all. In the meantime I'll get all the parts and put them away for future usage. I've also been buying everything to build a voodoo as I bet a remake of the voodoo 4 isn't far away.. That's another story but I would recommend people not miss out on those ICs while the are still around.

Reply 2558 of 3172, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shock did you ever think about having a Tindie store?, a lot of people that have spent some time on reverse engineering PCBs and want to gain some money back for their efforts sell boards on there. You can add optional packs with the components you have etc. Might be an easier way to get it done.

Reply 2559 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no interest in earning money from it ... I'm happy enough that people donated up front to make this project possible without having to put money into it which I didn't have at the point I started the project.

[Z?]