VOGONS

First post, by draetheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Due to scrapping several thrift store PCs, I ended up with enough spare parts to build another Athlon 64 rig. Naturally I ordered another YMF744, but while I wait, I decided to test out the onboard Realtek AC97 sound. Predictably I ran into issues installing the WDM drivers, but I discovered Realtek publishes VXD drivers under "Windows 95 only". Not only did these install fine, but I also got functional SB 16 emulation under Windows 98! Its not great, but certainly no worse than Creative's own SB 16 emulation to my ears 😜 Obviously no support for real MS-DOS mode, 3D audio, EAX, etc, so if you have a spare PCI slot, use it. I see this as a great option for thin clients with no PCI slots or thin clients/ITX boards with a single PCI slot when graphics performance is a bigger priority.

Reply 1 of 3, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That’s nice to know. I think a lot of people who are frustrated with Windows 9x is would do well to learn the benefits and drawbacks of VxD vs WDM drivers, and how to tell which are installed.

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Realtek WDM drivers used Sensaura 3D libraries back in the day (2003 ish), meaning they had some pretty great 3D audio even if it was done on your CPU. Eventually they removed that. I remember seeing it in a changelog. Probably once Creative bought Sensaura.

I have never used their VXD drivers but they have always been good at supporting popular operating systems.

Reply 3 of 3, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes - For me I prefere VXD drivers over WDM in case of legacy support. (I think of ALS4000 or ESS Solo-1 but I'm pretty sure this belongs to others as well) So If DOS gaming in Windows 9x is important for you, choose older VXD drivers instead.