VOGONS

Video Card prices

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 41, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to set my TNT2 to work creating crypto currencies! I have two of them, all this time wasted playing late 90's 3 games!!

here's a recent article about the shortage of cards

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/nvidia-l … ard/ar-BB1dNJev

Reply 21 of 41, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing I had to make clear. All the reporting websites who mentions crypto currency mining to generate tokens is ill informed what it is involved, The miner is not making *new* tokens, the reality is the people who buy using money to convert into tokens and through interactions is verified by all using miners, and the holders of the wallets has to pay a fee during interactions which is already included is to fund the processing of the hashs to verify them by miners, and portion of the fees build up to equivalent of of a one token every specific measure of work done as proof of work by each miners. Remember this is decentralized ledger through crypto currency.

Way the reporters for websites and newpapers assumed miners are generating tokens from nothing is feeding misinformation. This is reason why I was not understanding made me to take effort to understand these better.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 22 of 41, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-02-24, 00:29:

One thing I had to make clear. All the reporting websites who mentions crypto currency mining to generate tokens is ill informed what it is involved, The miner is not making *new* tokens,

well the TNT 2's are going back to rendering scenes from unreal then! 😀

Reply 23 of 41, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just do mining on your pocket calculator and give me your video cards 😉 if it has a video output it isnt meaned for mining

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 24 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

f it has a video output it isnt meaned for mining

Video output is an optional feature!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25 of 41, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMO any cryptocurrency is THE most useless and ugly way to waste energy. Without creating ANY tangible value (only artificial) it is a symbol of hypocracy of todays policy and economics where idiots teach us to drive shitty electric cars and not breathe while wasting precious energy (out of which most is still produced out of coal, gas etc) and producing just heat..
My ethical beliefs do not allow taking part of such pseudo-economy and IMO it is whole new low. It certainly isn't a business, every person who even remotely cares about something else than himself/herself does not take part of such stupidity.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 27 of 41, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just sold my rx 480 for the same price I paid for it brand new to pay bills and bought a $10 "broken" 2gb gtx 760 that works perfectly. Current GPU market is nuts!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 28 of 41, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-26, 22:26:

Well china isn't going to allow crypto currency. And at anypoint the EU or US central bank could just ban it. Theres nothing stopping them

https://twitter.com/theophite/status/10302251 … 4373121?lang=en

It's like if idling your car 24/7 occasionally produced solved Sudoku puzzles that you could then exchange for heroin.

Reply 29 of 41, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya, that's pretty funny.

Sold my 1080 Ti. And I thought it was overpriced when I bought it.

CL - highest offer was 600
FB - Angry teenagers demanding justice
Ebay - took an offer of 750, buyer had a good rating,

If there was no crypto craze, I estimate that the street value of a 1080 Ti would be 275 right now. I am hoping that BTC crashes like BOA says it will. Eth will fall and prices will go back to normal.

But hey who knows, Michael Burry, Bill Ackman and now Paul Singer are all warning about inflation. Not exactly a couple of lightweights. Buckle up butter cup.

Reply 30 of 41, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The popularity of cryptocurrency is a response to global political uncertainty and is not just a fad. (In other times people would be hoarding gold.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 31 of 41, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am getting tempted to move on my 1070ti but I use it too regularly in a secondary PC and I know i'll miss it. I bought it new for £350 (on a Black Friday event) and the eBay sold section shows 1070 ti's that have gone for £350 to £420!!!

Fortunately the kind of old, slow cards I buy for my builds at the £30 range (such a 9800GT, GT 400, 4890) has stayed relatively fixed in price.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 32 of 41, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2021-02-27, 08:04:

The popularity of cryptocurrency is a response to global political uncertainty and is not just a fad. (In other times people would be hoarding gold.)

Not sure I agree - Gold was a physical item, with a finite amount, that would always have value (and was what was used to set the value of money) regardless of a political climate. Bitcoin is not physical, is limitless and is vey volatile in value.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 33 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bitcoin is not physical, is limitless

It isn't and some were already lost forever. Although you can make as many alternative bullshit coins as you want, which various opportunists already doing. But almost everything is tied to Bitcoin in some way.

Reply 34 of 41, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, one of Bitcoin's big things was that it has finite amount of them, there will be a point when all of them get mined. In theory lowest value for them is the cost of energy used to mine them.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 35 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory lowest value for them is the cost of energy used to mine them.

That's not how it works though.

Reply 36 of 41, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-27, 15:39:

Agreed.

The cost of bit coin is the cost of the energy + hardware depreciation + the lost opportunity of doing something else with the computer hardware, but that's cost, not value.

The value of bitcoin could go to zero pretty darn quick because no bank or government guarantees the value.

That is assuming you don't just lose the coin: https://www.coininsider.com/ways-to-lose-bitcoin/

If someone robs a bank or a bank becomes insolvent, you don't lose your money in most countries. There's usually some form of banking insurance to cover it. If you lose your coin, there's no process to get it back.

In the mean time, I'm considering selling off my kids graphics cards. I got them as $90 refurbs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-c … t.radeon-rx-570

Reply 37 of 41, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2021-03-01, 01:07:
Agreed. […]
Show full quote

Agreed.

The cost of bit coin is the cost of the energy + hardware depreciation + the lost opportunity of doing something else with the computer hardware, but that's cost, not value.

The value of bitcoin could go to zero pretty darn quick because no bank or government guarantees the value.

That is assuming you don't just lose the coin: https://www.coininsider.com/ways-to-lose-bitcoin/

If someone robs a bank or a bank becomes insolvent, you don't lose your money in most countries. There's usually some form of banking insurance to cover it. If you lose your coin, there's no process to get it back.

In the mean time, I'm considering selling off my kids graphics cards. I got them as $90 refurbs.

I lost about 1.5 bitcoin. I mined years ago, and stopped when I couldn't afford the cost. Years later, I came across an old email from the site where my wallet was hosted, but couldn't find details to identify the wallet. At the time, that 1.5 bc was worth a fortune to me, but the site said they had no record of me, despite my still having the same email. After that, I will never trust bc again, or at least not until I am in a better place financially. Too risky.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 38 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2021-03-01, 03:18:
douglar wrote on 2021-03-01, 01:07:
Agreed. […]
Show full quote

Agreed.

I lost about 1.5 bitcoin. I mined years ago, and stopped when I couldn't afford the cost. Years later, I came across an old email from the site where my wallet was hosted, but couldn't find details to identify the wallet. At the time, that 1.5 bc was worth a fortune to me, but the site said they had no record of me, despite my still having the same email. After that, I will never trust bc again, or at least not until I am in a better place financially. Too risky.

Be glad that standard currency cash still exists or banks would be able to start pulling similar stunts much more easily.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 41, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-26, 22:26:

Well china isn't going to allow crypto currency. And at anypoint the EU or US central bank could just ban it. Theres nothing stopping them

Banning something doesn't make it go away. See how well the War on Drugs turned out. China may not allow it, but if you purchase something in China on the Dark Web, you're probably using cryptocurrency to pay for it...

Essentially the only way to get rid of Bitcoin is to come up with a better alternative for its users. Essentially that would boil down to either doing the same thing with sensible use of CPU/GPU cycles, or finding a reliable way to verify stuff without burning all those cycles in the first place.