VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

A lot of interesting retro pc/gamer stuff can also be found on Reddit (retrogaming, vintagecomputing) or of course Twitter. It's always inspiring to read what others are up to. I noticed that not everyone takes the trouble to create a forum topic at VOGONS to show off their stuff or ask a question.
Anyway, I'm not a big social network fan, but lately discovered Mastodon/Pleroma, and the thought of hosting it myself and having control over my data without the usual flood of tweets I quickly drown in is very appealing. However, I can't seem to find my way in the Fediverse. Every single blogger I know and follow (with RSS) has a Twitter account listed in their profile.

So, any VOGON-ers on Mastodon? You can find and follow me here: https://chat.brainbaking.com/@wouter but it's brand new so don't expect anything cool on there just yet.

Reply 1 of 3, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not me, but I'd be interested to hear from people who are, how they're liking it. I still can't touch Twitter, Reddit, etc. with a ten-foot pole (I've tried; my blood pressure didn't take it very well). On the other hand, these days someone could announce that they've found the cure for cancer, but if it's not on a social network they'd be pissing into the wind. Zero people are going to look beyond what shows up in their feed/whatever.

jefklak wrote on 2021-02-27, 14:05:

...Every single blogger I know and follow (with RSS) has a Twitter account listed in their profile.

Tell me about it. So far I've managed to hold back from subverting this in a very trollish fashion on my own blog, but only just. (Thanks for reminding me to fix my RSS stuff however.)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't even like social media so decentralizing it like this is not likely going to make me want to participate in the concept any better.

I just hang out on forums and IRC channels.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 3, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2021-02-28, 02:05:

I don't even like social media so decentralizing it like this is not likely going to make me want to participate in the concept any better.

I hear you! I'm dipping a toe or two myself in it, and I do like the idea of owning my data.
Was just looking for interesting VOGON-ers to follow 😀

Nice Blog Viler, have to add it to the feed!