VOGONS

AMD K7 "goldfinger" cloning thread

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just attached a piece of copper wire as a bridge over the DIP switch pins as suggested. Didn't have time for extensive testing yet, but the problem persists or got even worse.
On the FIC SD11, the 600 MHz setting results in 300 MHz. On the EP-7KXA, I couldn't find any combination of settings (multiplier and VCore) that leads to a successful POST. The system would lock up during POST, most of the time showing a C1 error (memory), but sometimes other error codes as well.

Fix v1 highlighted.jpg
Filename
Fix v1 highlighted.jpg
File size
277.67 KiB
Views
File comment
GFD v2 Fix v1
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'll go through the updated schematics again and see which other pins might need to be bridged...

My retro computers

Reply 81 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird. Unless there are hidden traces under the switches on the front of the original.

Anyhow, here's the Ninjamicro Freespeed schematic. I just have to route the PCB.

9mqMrE0.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 82 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@wiretap you wanted the diode information: they are both forward bias with a voltage drop of approx 0.7v using my meters diode testing mode.

The positive (annode) is upper side (closest to the ‘solder side’ screen printing) on both of them.

Will you use through hole for the components on the ninja remake? It will make assembly, for me at least, much easier

Reply 83 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have now tried pulling pins 7, 29 and 33 to GND with jumper wires as well, but to no avail. Neither board will POST in any of the switch positions I tried.
Still, no hardware destroyed due to shorts etc. 😁
I still don't have a 2.1k Ohms resistor at hand but the 2.2k is still in place, but that's a mere 4% difference, I can't really imagine that this would make the difference between a working and a completely non-working device.
I'd really love to make the Northwind clone work... any ideas are appreciated. I'll go through the schematics once again myself...

Regarding the Ninjamicro clone: Through-hole components would probably make it much easier to assemble for most of us, so I'd prefer that as well.

My retro computers

Reply 84 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am about 90% done with the Ninja. It uses 1206 size SMD, so it is just about as easy as through-hole stuff. I wanted to make it in the exact look/layout. I'll post the KiCAD stuff tomorrow. It could easily be converted to through hole. Maybe I'll do two versions.

About the Northwind. Yea there must be other traces under the lower DIP to the J1 header to a different pin than ground.

My Github

Reply 85 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ninjamicros Freespeed Pro -- KiCAD, Gerbers, and BOM attached. Please review everything before using on your system to make sure it matches up with the original. Keep in mind I'm doing these off of pictures 🤣. Despite being mostly surface-mount, you can see that these are 1206 size SMD components. The pads are as large as a standard through-hole component and it is just as easy to solder. If you want dead simple -- order from JLCPCB with the stencil (sometimes free add-on to your order), then just use solder paste, place the components, and heat it up with a hot air pencil to flow the solder. Example video: https://youtu.be/sOZ_Bry957k?t=114

Mouser Cart: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Project … ssID=c42aa0e678

Schematic:
dYrhZPu.jpg

Traces:
U7S5Bsj.jpg

3D View:
(Ignore the 3d-rendered switches that show upside down in this model. Mount them per the original design.)
3Bfxcrl.jpg

dTUoODF.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    Freespeed-Clone.zip
    File size
    45.73 KiB
    Downloads
    157 downloads
    File comment
    KiCAD Files
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Filename
    gerbers.zip
    File size
    22.66 KiB
    Downloads
    142 downloads
    File comment
    Gerber Files
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Filename
    BOM.zip
    File size
    9.25 KiB
    Downloads
    161 downloads
    File comment
    BOM
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

My Github

Reply 86 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it looks good comparing the traces to the actual one. The only area I worry about is attached. I can’t tell if you have all those pins attached it should only be the two you see with the multimeter.

On solder side SW2 bottom 3rd in from right only goes top left most on connector

Edit: nevermind I looked at the gerbers and it looks ok

Attachments

Reply 87 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This design I feel confident in because I checked it over along with the one I have. I’ve ordered some boards to test.

I haven’t given up on the free speed design and in fact prefer that one so would like to get that working.

I have some parts still arriving so I’ll keep posting in this thread.

Reply 89 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am currently looking into the SMT assembly service at JLCPCB and they don't have the exact diode FDLL4148 available, but only FDLL4150 which is similar, but not identical.
Would that one work as well?

My retro computers

Reply 90 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea it should work. However, I did not design the board for SMT assembly so they will probably reject it. I believe it would need to have tooling mount holes and abide by a few other standards that aren't met.

My Github

Reply 91 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gex85 wrote on 2021-03-04, 10:34:

I am currently looking into the SMT assembly service at JLCPCB and they don't have the exact diode FDLL4148 available, but only FDLL4150 which is similar, but not identical.
Would that one work as well?

We think alike! I used a Semtech LL4148.

I did have to adjust the placement of the parts. I believe they all had to be rotated 90 degrees from their current x/y coordinates.

My order is in processing, the PCBs at least, no errors so far for the pick and place, I’ll see once it gets to that stage.

Reply 92 of 260, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually got around to making a very minimal design based on the Innovatek Goldfinger. Sadly I damaged the original in the process. 🙁
Due to its small size (36*25mm) I dubbed my design the Golden Pinkie. It only requires the PCB, the edge connector and a single row of DIP switches while offering 1.30V up to 2.05V voltage settings in 0.5V increments and supposedly 3x-10.5x multipliers in .5x steps. I have never tried the lower multipliers with the original though, so no gurantees.
I am going to order a prototype batch and test it before releasing the gerber files.
I'm a little excited since I've never made a PCB before but if we all cross our (golden 😉 ) fingers it may actually turn out to be functional. Wish me luck! 😁
Until then here's a 3D rendering. (In which the switches are just a grey block for some reason.)

K7 Golden Pinkie Rev. 0.1.jpg
Filename
K7 Golden Pinkie Rev. 0.1.jpg
File size
39.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 94 of 260, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-03-05, 11:46:

Awesome. 😀 If you need any help with it, let me know. I think that design could be shrunk down even smaller. :p

Thank you! 😃👍 Originally I had planned on taking some good pictures of the PCB with the components desoldered and leaving it up to the pros to make a clone but then I decided that I could use a little success right now and this would be a great and easy project to learn some KiCad basics.
I also thought about shrinking it down further but I'll wait and see if it works at all and how much clearance is left on CPUs that just have a bit of the case cut out for the GFD instead of the whole back removed.
If the footprint outlines are correct there's still a 3mm gap between the DIP switches and the edge connector that could be removed. There's plenty room left for routing the traces and I suspect the switches I'll be using are even smaller than the footprint outline so there's definitively potential for an even smaller final revision. 😁
Idea: Maybe somebody could design a replacement cover for Slot A Athlons that factors in the final (maximally shrunken) Golden Pinkie and adds some extra support and gives the whole assembly a flush look?

Reply 95 of 260, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh boy, after all the reverse engineering is done guess what I found while looking for those cache OC tools on my HDD:
A complete build guide for a GFD with scematics(!!!) that I saved from Tom's Hardware a long time ago.
Yep. Sorry.

Schaltbild Goldfinger.png
Filename
Schaltbild Goldfinger.png
File size
212.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Apparently that's not even a hack but a design made by AMD. The notes say the 56Ohm resistors should be changed to 220Ohm like on the FreeSpeed Pro for enhanced longevity. They also suggest using 5V and two 1N4001 diodes to generate 3.2V instead of using a real 3.3V source, again similar to the FreeSpeed Pro as far as I can tell.

For copyright reasons I don't think I can just post the whole article here but I guess this picture of the schematic is fine (i.e. covered by fair use). If not, please let me know mods, and I'll make my own version.

I've found the cache tools too btw. There's one for editing an ASUS K7V's BIOS to permanently use a fixed cache divider, another tool to set the cache divider in Windows (don't know if it'll work under NT) and one to set it in DOS. I'll check wether they're freeware and if they are I'll post them later.

Reply 97 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's awesome. 😁 I was looking for that specific article, but it wasn't on the Wayback Machine. But it looks like the UK site still has it. What needs to be done is to make a pinout table for mapping the AMD CPU finger header to the TE 1734037-4 slot connector footprint in KiCAD. That should only take a few minutes to generate.

Last edited by wiretap on 2021-03-05, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 98 of 260, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2021-03-05, 14:37:

The German version of the article improves on that one by explaining how to get 3.2V with two diodes and suggests the use of 220Ohm resistors instead of 56Ohm as AMD suggests but apart from that it's mostly the same. I just can't find it online anymore.

Funny how that info was avaliable for 20+ years and nobody has made an open source design until recently.😅

Reply 99 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The diode and 220-ohm note is on page 4 at the bottom of the UK article.

I guess we can easily make a nice design now with the proper AMD schematic that better explains some of the unknowns about the AMD side of what connects to what.

My Github