VOGONS

Reply 60 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Gigabyte EP45-whatever boards rock for overclocking.

Back when my main system had a Q6600,
I was running my EP45-UD3P at 480 fsb because
that was the highest I could get my DDR-1066
to be completely stable on that board and was
also right at the max of stability for the CPU.

Once you get the fsb around 450 or so, the
LGA 775 platform gets pretty nice.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 61 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok... Any reason to consider the Gigabytes more then Asus? Get me right... I am a great supporter of gigabyte. My main rig works with gigabyte for years now.. but in my perception Asus often made/makes the best boards..

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 62 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Gigabyte boards were cheaper to buy than Asus back then. That line was also some of the best overclocking boards of the time as well.

ASUS is fine if you can find a good working one.
They just have absolutely horrid customer/warranty
support in the USA.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 63 of 100, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-03-02, 21:33:

Will have look
what's that youtube channel in your sig supposed to be... No vids there.

I deleted them and moved them to Rumble, under my username. In the process of copying them to other platforms like BitChute and UgeTube. Should probably update my sig...

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 64 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-02, 21:58:
The Gigabyte boards were cheaper to buy than Asus back then. That line was also some of the best overclocking boards of the time […]
Show full quote

The Gigabyte boards were cheaper to buy than Asus back then. That line was also some of the best overclocking boards of the time as well.

ASUS is fine if you can find a good working one.
They just have absolutely horrid customer/warranty
support in the USA.

What about msi.... I found a p45 Platinum. .

Also I'm wondering... Does XP profit from DDR3 memory..
Sata iii and usb 3 support is also obviously better on am3+ platforms...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 65 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure about the MSI board. Look up some reviews and also search for overclocking for that board.

AM3+ really will be better in the end though.

As far as DDR3, on LGA775, from what I could find when I was looking is that it isn't going to be much different and may actually end up being slower overall
than DDR2-8500 (1066).

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 66 of 100, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-03-02, 21:51:

Ok... Any reason to consider the Gigabytes more then Asus? Get me right... I am a great supporter of gigabyte. My main rig works with gigabyte for years now.. but in my perception Asus often made/makes the best boards..

I was unhappy with Gigabyte's quality control in 3 AM3 motherboards and 1 video card I bought from them. All 4 of those things had different problems.
But I still am using one of the motherboards which still works as well as it ever did, and everybody has different opinions about what brands they like. My personal experiences with Asus have been better than Gigabyte, but I'm sure plenty of people would say the opposite also.
At this point the biggest variable is what's available in the used market at a good price.

Gigabyte boards can unlock cores (Phenom2), but I think Asus can too. Maybe everybody can, I dunno.

[minor edit: just remembered the boards in question were AM3, not AM3+]

Last edited by shamino on 2021-03-03, 23:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 67 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the 760 Chipset (I know it's old) strongly hold back possibilities for overclocking? If not... Then the 78lmt USB3 would be a real good option for me... As I saw it has heatsinks on the mosfet.. that's great... But is it sufficient?

Reply 68 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this isn't getting any result for me unless I start testing... So I made a start and ordered a ga ep45 ds4 and an e8600

Reply 69 of 100, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my Asus board, I just set the FSB to 400 for 1600 which gives 3.62 Ghz. My E8400 can do that at stock volts without breaking a sweat.
That setting gives me a perfect 1066 divider for my Corsair Vengeance memory to run at its default speed.

I'm well happy with that and it is one of my favourite machines. I use a Dell Pro LCD with a resolution of 1600 x 1200 and I can pretty much max everything out at that.

Anyway, good luck!

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 70 of 100, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:21:

Does the 760 Chipset (I know it's old) strongly hold back possibilities for overclocking? If not... Then the 78lmt USB3 would be a real good option for me... As I saw it has heatsinks on the mosfet.. that's great... But is it sufficient?

OC on AM3 was mostly done via the CPU multiplier because there were so many "Black Edition" CPUs with unlocked multipliers

also 760G is the same as 780G just with some IGP features (I think more specifically regarding video decoding) removed.

the "FSB" overclocking on it I don't think changes much, in general am2/am3 was pretty good with that, but I don't know specifics,

but for OC you should research the motherboard model itself, which options it offers for adjusting voltages and dividers/multipliers, if the VRM is decent (AM3 CPUs can draw a lot of power and some cheaper MBs were only designed for lower models)

Reply 71 of 100, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phenom II has CPU clock, HyperTransport clock aka BCLK and L3 cache/memory controller clock. Some motherboards do not allow overclocking or tweaking of L3 cache and memory controller.

My E8400 can do that at stock volts without breaking a sweat.

E8400 comes with two steppings, most overclockable is E0. E8600 is always E0.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 72 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-03-03, 22:40:

Phenom II has CPU clock, HyperTransport clock aka BCLK and L3 cache/memory controller clock. Some motherboards do not allow overclocking or tweaking of L3 cache and memory controller

That's interesting... Can you specify boards that do support that?

----------

I just read about that the memory limitations in Windows XP x86... As I understood it includes the video Memory. So with a graphics card I should not go over 1gb besides 4gb as system memory?

----------

Folks... It's more and more a dual platform project.. 😬 I am so curious with what I will end up... Or if I even ever end up here ... 🥴😁

Reply 74 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not just go with XP x64? Pretty much all the driver issues x64 had when it was first released were eventually taken care of. I ran XP x64 when it was the current MS OS and never really had issues with game compatibility... and there are a few games that have x64 versions from that era.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 75 of 100, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you specify boards that do support that?

Some 760G and 970 motherboards from various manufacturers.

As I understood it includes the video Memory

No, VRAM technically is not limited.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 76 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-05, 00:29:

Why not just go with XP x64? Pretty much all the driver issues x64 had when it was first released were eventually taken care of. I ran XP x64 when it was the current MS OS and never really had issues with game compatibility... and there are a few games that have x64 versions from that era.

Mmmmh... I heard it has compatibility issues with several games... Therefore it wasn't an option.

Reply 77 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again... Well the Mainboard and the CPU arrived... Already days ago... Unfortunately I have to wait for an obviously very slow seller where I bought memory....

Meanwhile I took the time and read about these modded E5450 Xeon CPUs. Do I have any high advantage except the price and lower tdp compared to q9650?

Reply 78 of 100, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So... I assembled things for now.. made a BIOS update to F9 everything runs nice and smooth.
Installed the E8600 but didn't test overclocking, yet. Installed 4GB kingston hyperx, and the graphics card is the Radeon HD 5770.
I ordered a Xeon X5470 and am really excited to see what it will or won't improve.

Also I have not decided what graphics card will do the daily job at the end. I definitely will go with an AMD card. But am not sure. At the moment I consider

RADEON HD 5870 and
RADEON HD 7870

If someone has experiences with these cards in combination with the CPUs please let me know.

Reply 79 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 7870 is faster, runs a whole lot cooler and uses way less power than the 5870 but you will still be VRAM limited in a lot of games at 1080p.

I had a pair of 7870s for about a week or so. I ended up going to a 7970 and then a added a second 7970 soon after.

This was when I was upgrading from dual 6870s.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK