VOGONS

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I am starting to question about the Startup directory use on Windows 3.1. Can you use .BAT files as startup programs on the Startup directory on Windows 3.1 to let it start up automatically when Windows 3.1 starts up? Because I have made a .BAT file of Cutemouse. And I am thinking about use the Startup directory for activating Cutemouse instead of use Autoexec.bat, I need to know how to add programs to the Windows 3.1 Startup directory too and to know if .BAT files can work on the Startup directory.

If you have any knowledge on how the Windows 3.1 startup directory works, please let me know.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-03-04, 14:19:

Can you use .BAT files as startup programs on the Startup directory on Windows 3.1 to let it start up automatically when Windows 3.1 starts up?

Why don't you try it and find out?

Also, it's a "program group", not a "directory".

Because I have made a .BAT file of Cutemouse. And I am thinking about use the Startup directory for activating Cutemouse instead of use Autoexec.bat

I'm not sure you you can load a DOS TSR like Cutemouse after Windows is loaded.

Reply 2 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If cutemouse can be started from within W3.1, I would think you would need a PIF file in the startup group. I'm not sure that will work though. As Jorpho says, it's a DOS TSR, not a regular app.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 9, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-03-04, 16:27:

If cutemouse can be started from within W3.1, I would think you would need a PIF file in the startup group. I'm not sure that will work though. As Jorpho says, it's a DOS TSR, not a regular app.

How do send a PIF to a the startup group in Windows 3.1?

Reply 4 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-03-04, 19:36:

There is an abundance of information about this available via Google. See for instance http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?165 … rams-to-Win-3-1 .

Reply 5 of 9, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-03-04, 20:07:
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-03-04, 19:36:

There is an abundance of information about this available via Google. See for instance http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?165 … rams-to-Win-3-1 .

Basically it's saying that this can be done through make a PIF file.

Reply 6 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are unsure how to create a PIF file to start with, see https://tech-insider.org/windows/research/acr … 20221/3PIFW.pdf

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 9, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am thinking about use the Startup directory for activating Cutemouse

Why do you want to load cutemouse inside Windows?

If you want Windows to use it (a) it has to be loaded before Windows starts and (b) are you aware that Windows doesn't need a DOS mouse driver installed?

If you want to load it for DOS programs that you start inside Windows, then you either (a) need to start it before Windows starts, or (b) need to start it inside every single DOS session in Windows, because each one is like a separate virtual machine which starts out with whatever was loaded before Windows started. I can't remember if there is a way to get option (b), like the equivalent of an AUTOEXEC.BAT which is run inside every new DOS prompt. You could probably make a .PIF file for your DOS prompt which runs cutemouse and then COMMAND /K or whatever starts an interactive version of COMMAND.COM. This is a useful thing to do, because it means you can also start DOS prompts without cutemouse loaded, i.e. with a bit more memory free, for applications that don't need it. The more things you can load inside the DOS window, rather than before you start Windows, the better your options for when you need more RAM for one program.

Simply running cutemouse during Windows startup will open a DOS session to run cutemouse and then that session will terminate. When you run a TSR directly from Windows it will show a message saying that the window is being kept open so that you can use the TSR, but that's not much use with cutemouse, it's more useful for a TSR that is activated with a hotkey - the message says it's for your "pop-up application". But in any case this wouldn't make cutemouse available for subsequent DOS sessions.

Reply 8 of 9, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doshea wrote on 2021-03-08, 10:55:
Why do you want to load cutemouse inside Windows? […]
Show full quote

I am thinking about use the Startup directory for activating Cutemouse

Why do you want to load cutemouse inside Windows?

If you want Windows to use it (a) it has to be loaded before Windows starts and (b) are you aware that Windows doesn't need a DOS mouse driver installed?

If you want to load it for DOS programs that you start inside Windows, then you either (a) need to start it before Windows starts, or (b) need to start it inside every single DOS session in Windows, because each one is like a separate virtual machine which starts out with whatever was loaded before Windows started. I can't remember if there is a way to get option (b), like the equivalent of an AUTOEXEC.BAT which is run inside every new DOS prompt. You could probably make a .PIF file for your DOS prompt which runs cutemouse and then COMMAND /K or whatever starts an interactive version of COMMAND.COM. This is a useful thing to do, because it means you can also start DOS prompts without cutemouse loaded, i.e. with a bit more memory free, for applications that don't need it. The more things you can load inside the DOS window, rather than before you start Windows, the better your options for when you need more RAM for one program.

Simply running cutemouse during Windows startup will open a DOS session to run cutemouse and then that session will terminate. When you run a TSR directly from Windows it will show a message saying that the window is being kept open so that you can use the TSR, but that's not much use with cutemouse, it's more useful for a TSR that is activated with a hotkey - the message says it's for your "pop-up application". But in any case this wouldn't make cutemouse available for subsequent DOS sessions.

How should I make a .PIF for Cutemouse and COMMAND /K?

Reply 9 of 9, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2021-03-17, 11:30:

How should I make a .PIF for Cutemouse and COMMAND /K?

Create c:\windows\mymouse.bat containing something like:

@echo off
c:\ctmouse

Run PIF Editor:

• Open c:\windows\dosprmpt.pif (which is the one used for the default MS-DOS Prompt icon in Program Manager, this way we start with the same settings)
  • Change the "Window Title" text box to "MS-DOS Prompt with CTMOUSE" (just so it's easier to tell which window is which, but you don't have to)
  • In the "Optional Parameters" text box, enter "/K c:\windows\mymouse.bat"
  • "File", "Save As", "c:\windows\mymouse.pif"
  • Close PIF Editor

Then in Program Manager, "File", "New", "Program Item", "Browse", pick c:\windows\mymouse.pif, enter a description and pick an icon.

Now you can start both the standard "MS-DOS Prompt" and your new program item, run MEM in both and verify that your new one has less memory available, and run EDIT in both and verify that the mouse works only in your new one.