VOGONS

Reply 18320 of 27187, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-03-03, 13:07:
brostenen wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:20:

Better video, well.... The plan is to use an RF modulator replacement. It is a modern tiny board, that just passes S-Video and Composit through. The original modulators are a major signal degrader. I can however buy two different solutions. One being an Component mod and the other being an HDMI mod. Though with the signal quality that my original Breadbin 250407 (YouTube), with original RF modulator and quality S-Video cable gives, then they are kind of waste of money. Especially when I use my RetroTink and the VIC-II is Revision-5.

So, you sent me a lot of links yesterday to start my endeavours into getting my newly arrived C64 working, thanks, and from the schematics of the C64, it seems that at least the S-Video signals (Luminace/COLOR) are output directly from the VIC? All though passing through the RF modulator, I would find it plausible, that the modulator could be bypassed with the signals?

Wait, scrolling down the schematics, I see it seems that the Luminance and Chrominance are buffered inside the RF Modulator

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 18321 of 27187, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-03-03, 13:07:
brostenen wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:20:

Better video, well.... The plan is to use an RF modulator replacement. It is a modern tiny board, that just passes S-Video and Composit through. The original modulators are a major signal degrader. I can however buy two different solutions. One being an Component mod and the other being an HDMI mod. Though with the signal quality that my original Breadbin 250407 (YouTube), with original RF modulator and quality S-Video cable gives, then they are kind of waste of money. Especially when I use my RetroTink and the VIC-II is Revision-5.

So, you sent me a lot of links yesterday to start my endeavours into getting my newly arrived C64 working, thanks, and from the schematics of the C64, it seems that at least the S-Video signals (Luminace/COLOR) are output directly from the VIC? All though passing through the RF modulator, I would find it plausible, that the modulator could be bypassed with the signals?

To my knowledge, then there are video signals that goes through the RF modulator. If it is both S-Video or Composit is not something I know specifically. It might be that it is only the Composit that goes through it. There are modern replacements that does not generate any analog antenna signals. Like this one here..

EDIT:
I see you beat me to it... 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18322 of 27187, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ignore the walls, this room is a WIP. 🤣 Gonna take care of that as soon as it gets a bit warmer and I don't have to risk getting the drywall wet with snow.

And yeah admittedly not computer related but definitely vintage. 🤣

Putting together this 90's setup! TV is a Symphonic from 1990, Kenwood stereo is from 1994 with matching kenwood speakers. I've been listening to my cassette collection over the last few days and MAN it sounds good. 🤣

bFh0bRb.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 18324 of 27187, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
assasincz wrote on 2021-03-03, 18:35:

Did some retrobrighting...
20210303_193403.jpg

Atta boy - did you leave the buttons out? PM me, I've got tons of NOS on those 😁

In this corner, I got an EISA SCSI card, AHA-2740W, NIB - started off as a $25 purchase (CAD) which ballooned into a $78 purchase with shipping and customs, etc.

kS5PbT9l.jpg

The CDROM is related, kind of. I've finally decided that since I have a 66 HMz PS/1000 386 based IBM, it's finally time (after 20 years) to assemble this into a working EISA/VESA system and let go of it in the best way possible - EISA SCSI, VLB video, and some other early 90s magic in there. All while I listen to Offsrping's Smash album 😁

jTEUqyOl.jpg

Since the case format of the IBM is smaller, and I want to keep the Ditto as well as the Syquest, the CDROM needs to go external. Since these are non-boot items, I'll be using an AHA 1522 to run those SCSI bits. I hope that the Nakamichi will work in the external enclosure. I also have an external ZIP100 drive (and another one that is SCSI) and I plan to keep a 1.44 and a GOTEK in the IBM case.

Hard decisions - I had so many plans for that case. Ultimately, I could not get a Ti486 SLC to work on it, and the way my life is going, it'll just sit in the basement forever. No one wants to see that.

On top of that, the Juko XT beside it really needs an Adlib and a Future Domain inspired 4X CDROM 😁

In an unrelated note, got half of an A+ done today, on my bday - scored 818/900. There were quite a few of legacy questions haha. Nailed those!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 18325 of 27187, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote on 2021-03-03, 17:52:
Ignore the walls, this room is a WIP. lol Gonna take care of that as soon as it gets a bit warmer and I don't have to risk getti […]
Show full quote

Ignore the walls, this room is a WIP. 🤣 Gonna take care of that as soon as it gets a bit warmer and I don't have to risk getting the drywall wet with snow.

Putting together this 90's setup! TV is a Symphonic from 1990, Kenwood stereo is from 1994 with matching kenwood speakers. I've been listening to my cassette collection over the last few days and MAN it sounds good. 🤣

bFh0bRb.jpg

No shit, I was just reading your Soundblaster LIVE thread from ages ago. Nice carpet! 😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 18326 of 27187, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ignore the walls, this room is a WIP. lol Gonna take care of that as soon as it gets a bit warmer and I don't have to risk getti […]
Show full quote

bFh0bRb.jpg

Now that's a true '90s home theater setup, with a pair of giant speakers flanking a cute little 4:3 TV. You'll hear and feel those T-Rex stomps, and if you squint hard enough, you might even be able to see it too! 😜

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 18327 of 27187, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

bFh0bRb.jpg

Nice setup! Always had an interest in retro stereos, been seeing a lot of Pioneer, Marantz systems on craiglist that are very tempting.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 18328 of 27187, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would playing 15 year old games on a CRT be considered retro now? 😁

Got myself a used PS3 this weekend, so I decided to play some games I missed out on in my Highschool/Uni years.

Tried out Resistance:FoM and Killzone 2. Dear lord I am happy I did not spend money on them when they were new. Simplistic level design, horrible spacial awareness due to bad controls and low FOV . The huge amount of blur from the weird AA in Killzone 2 made my eyes really tired after just 30 minutes. Zero likable characters.

The embodiment of the worst things in gaming that this generation offered.

Currently on the hunt for games that I know I will enjoy, like God of War 3. Also, still quite sharp image quality through a SCART cable.

Attachments

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18329 of 27187, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
assasincz wrote on 2021-03-03, 18:35:

Did some retrobrighting...
20210303_193403.jpg

Great result!

I tried to do some bleaching myself today.
But +3℃ and only about 3h of direct sunlight did absolutely nada to my nicotine colored front panel 🤣.
Guess I have to wait another month =)

Reply 18330 of 27187, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote on 2021-03-04, 16:43:

Don’t forget the fake “in game” trailer that was shown initially, and then the fanboy reaction to the middling scores it received.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 18331 of 27187, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Would playing 15 year old games on a CRT be considered retro now? :D […]
Show full quote

Got myself a used PS3 this weekend, so I decided to play some games I missed out on in my Highschool/Uni years.

Tried out Resistance:FoM and Killzone 2. Dear lord I am happy I did not spend money on them when they were new. Simplistic level design, horrible spacial awareness due to bad controls and low FOV . The huge amount of blur from the weird AA in Killzone 2 made my eyes really tired after just 30 minutes. Zero likable characters.

Currently on the hunt for games that I know I will enjoy, like God of War 3. Also, still quite sharp image quality through a SCART cable.

I actually prefer "Simplistic" level design as opposed to open world which just wants to waste my time with travel time and fetch quests. Give me straight forward game mechanics to master in tightly designed fashion as opposed to the heavy world building/light gameplay design of modern games. I love RPGs but not everything should be designed like one, its tiresome.

Reply 18333 of 27187, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I tried to get a CF card working with a generic 16-bit ISA I/O controller + XTIDE Universal BIOS on my IBM XT build & a Turbo XT clone also. I tried 3 different controllers, but failed with all 3. XTIDE would either recognise the CF card with a blank name or a partial name and it was impossible to read/write to the card correctly in DOS - just garbled files and inaccessible folders once formatted. Often after a reboot, XTIDE would just plain refuse to detect it at all.

I'm guessing it's the 64MB CF card that I used that just isn't compatible with this, as it also wouldn't work properly when I tested it in my 286 (no XTIDE) but it did work in a more modern PC (with same IDE-CF adapter each time). I'm awaiting delivery of another CF card that I've ordered, since I don't have anymore spare cards in my collection at present. Hopefully I'll be able to find a combination that works, as it'd be a nice cheap way of adding more storage to my XT systems.

Reply 18334 of 27187, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-03-04, 18:54:
Would playing 15 year old games on a CRT be considered retro now? :D […]
Show full quote

I actually prefer "Simplistic" level design as opposed to open world which just wants to waste my time with travel time and fetch quests. Give me straight forward game mechanics to master in tightly designed fashion as opposed to the heavy world building/light gameplay design of modern games. I love RPGs but not everything should be designed like one, its tiresome.

I get that. But when I said simplistic, I meant how you'd say...basic? I dont' know how to put it into words. For instance, METRO 2033 has linear, small and cramped maps that are filled with detail and tons of little stuff scattered all over. Every inch helps build the world it tries to present. So far for me Resistance FoM is just one same brown street after another.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18335 of 27187, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Socket 3 system is finally finished.
Biostar MB-8433UUD-A
16MB 72-pin EDO
6.4GB HDD
Creative 48x CDROM
GoTek floppy

Dallas RTC Battery Mod ✔
"Upgraded" SiS 6326 VGA to Diamond Stealth Pro 2000 VGA ✔
Swapped the SB16 Value (Vibra & YMF) for my ESS1868f ✔
Upgraded the 100MHz IBM (Cyrix) to a 5x86 AMD 133MHz ✔
Removed DreamBlaster X2 ✔
Set up MUNT and Falcosoft MIDI to cover MT-32 and GM via the Roland UM-ONE MkII ✔

The jump from the 100MHz IBM to the AMD 133MHz was impressive. 45~ FPS in Doom and around 30-35 FPS in Doom 2. Doom 2 was sluggish as heck on the 100MHz with the timedemo taking ages. I had no idea Doom 2 was so demanding.
I'm thinking I will put the DreamBlaster X2 onto my Aureal Vortex 2 and turn my P3 into a superfast dos games W98 rig.

I have a long weekend with Monday off so I'm gonna have a blast fiddling with games, soundfonts and plugins. The ESS card as good as it is, is giving me audible clicking interference over the line-out when the gameport is sending midi messages. I might need to recap it? A little part of me wants to move my AWE64 from my P2 into this machine because that works easier (doesn't need softmpu) and I couldnt hear any clicks the other day when I was testing.

Reply 18336 of 27187, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spent maybe 2 hours yesterday to make Compaq 4000 5233MMX boot from floppy. HDD's IDE cable had some problems, but it took me a lot of time to find that, and yes, no BIOS to help you without HDD 😀
Now, the system works really fast with 128MB RAM, 4MB Matrox Millennium PCI video, Quantum Fireball CX HDD and Windows 95OSR2.
Compaq BIOS is a bit tricky to install, but looks amazing. Onboard audio ES1868F is recognized on ISA slot and works great, onboard NIC is working and yes, USB working too.

Reply 18337 of 27187, by Old_Jelly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cleaning the hell out of this disgusting Radeon HD 2900 Pro !

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
310.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
327.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
400.11 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
283.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
253.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 18339 of 27187, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I installed a video card in my PC-Internet.
The PC had an integrated ATi video card, but I put a PCI-E 16X which is better.
The MB is an HP MSI-Amethyst-M chipset ATi Xpress 200 (RS480), the CPU is an AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+ (939 Manchester), 4GB DDR400 Corsair ram.
The installed video card is the one purchased not long ago in a batch of cards, it is an ASUS GF 8500GT RAM 512MB DDR2.

Attachments

• ASUS GF 8500GT.jpg
    Filename
    ASUS GF 8500GT.jpg
    File size
    18.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB