VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 38380 of 52692, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok did not buy anything but was searching thru Ebay, Craigs, etc and was amazed at how much some older computer parts have gone up since the China virus/Covid has been out.
Had things in my ebay history/watch list that in the last year doubled or more in price. I know others have mentioned this huge price increase but was amazed that even a simple ISA IDE controller card more than doubled in a year.
The asking prices are ridiculous and looking at sold prices they are too. Am just rambling but am ashamed at the sellers in USA that they are raising prices far above those in Europe for no reason other than greed...
Ok rant over...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 38381 of 52692, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-03-08, 05:44:
Ok did not buy anything but was searching thru Ebay, Craigs, etc and was amazed at how much some older computer parts have gone […]
Show full quote

Ok did not buy anything but was searching thru Ebay, Craigs, etc and was amazed at how much some older computer parts have gone up since the China virus/Covid has been out.
Had things in my ebay history/watch list that in the last year doubled or more in price. I know others have mentioned this huge price increase but was amazed that even a simple ISA IDE controller card more than doubled in a year.
The asking prices are ridiculous and looking at sold prices they are too. Am just rambling but am ashamed at the sellers in USA that they are raising prices far above those in Europe for no reason other than greed...
Ok rant over...

Yeah, the prices are kinda crazy. That being said, as a seller, it would be stupid financially speaking, to list stuff at a much lower price than people have been buying parts for.

As for me specifically, unless I am selling parts that are brand new, I test them before listing unless I am selling them as-is. Sometimes that testing is no small feat and if I have tested items that take a while to test, I am going to list them for higher prices than if they weren't actually tested. Not like my time isn't worth anything.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38382 of 52692, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-08, 06:26:
Ok did not buy anything but was searching thru Ebay, Craigs, etc and was amazed at how much some older computer parts have gone […]
Show full quote

Ok rant over...

Yeah, the prices are kinda crazy. That being said, as a seller, it would be stupid financially speaking, to list stuff at a much lower price than people have been buying parts for.

As for me specifically, unless I am selling parts that are brand new, I test them before listing unless I am selling them as-is. Sometimes that testing is no small feat and if I have tested items that take a while to test, I am going to list them for higher prices than if they weren't actually tested. Not like my time isn't worth anything.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post.

In my particular situation I would also add that I live in an economically depressed area... and it was like that long before COVID19. I do landscaping work in the summer, but the vintage PC craze and the apparently massive disposable income of retro PC enthusiasts has helped me to support my family using the knowledge I've spent over 25 years acquiring (since I started learning about PCs as a pre-teen), which would otherwise be worth nothing in the cloud-based-everything smartphone era. At the same time I have been teaching myself electronics repair, allowing people to enjoy old hardware that was destined for scrap and I've been hopefully able to contribute something of value to this community with all these posts (yikes... almost 1900 now??). If I didn't continue selling about 1% of the old hardware I acquire, there's no way I'd be able to spend this much time involved in it. To arbitrarily charge less for it, despite the time I put in, wouldn't make financial sense.

People can buy a cheap Geforce 2/4 MX and an SB Live to plunk into any old PC they find on the curb\classifieds if they want to play old games that don't run in DOSBox. To spend 20 times as much buying highly specific (and increasingly rare) hardware isn't honestly going to change the experience much in most cases. The most common and least valuable items can actually do the same job as well or better than the rare stuff 90% of the time. It's really no different than collecting rare coins, glassware, cars, etc. To go without is hardly to be deprived of a basic need. Putting in the time and legwork to track down rare stuff cheaply is the alternative to spending the going-rate on it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 38383 of 52692, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Ok rant over...

On the positive side, rising prices do provide a marketplace for makers, rethinking or inventing modern solutions for our "old" systems. Dozens of projects prove there is a market and there are needs to be met. After all, it's not only about collecting items but also about bringing those past-day "dream" machines of ours to life with usability.

Reply 38384 of 52692, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CMB75 wrote on 2021-03-08, 07:32:
Show full quote

Ok rant over...

On the positive side, rising prices do provide a marketplace for makers, rethinking or inventing modern solutions for our "old" systems. Dozens of projects prove there is a market and there are needs to be met. After all, it's not only about collecting items but also about bringing those past-day "dream" machines of ours to life with usability.

Excellent point.

These projects are a much better way to preserve the experience of running old games with obscure hardware configurations. As the components on old hardware wear out and more casual retro gamers either throw them away, scrap them or botch repair jobs and ruin them, the number of intact\functional originals for the collectors or those who truly feel nostalgic about the original hardware is going to decline even further. Having modern equivalents available will ensure that the experience can stay alive for those that absolutely must know what it's like to use weird hardware (rather than emulation), and they'll be able to reliably do so for decades without having to worry about age related problems with the originals (bad caps, physical damage, worn out plugs and connectors, bad solder joints, etc).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 38385 of 52692, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed these for 45 euro (54$) + 6$ shipping

Unfortunetly, QDI Advance 2 doesn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0710.JPG
    File size
    266.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0711.JPG
    File size
    539.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0728.JPG
    File size
    796.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0729.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0729.JPG
    File size
    399.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 38386 of 52692, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
W.x. wrote on 2021-03-08, 12:00:
Grabbed these for 45 euro (54$) + 6$ shipping […]
Show full quote

Grabbed these for 45 euro (54$) + 6$ shipping

Unfortunetly, QDI Advance 2 doesn't work.

Who says the prices are high? 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 38387 of 52692, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2021-03-08, 12:10:

Who says the prices are high? 🤣

Well, when you compare our salaries here , most people have around 600 euro, and when you compare Germany, UK, USA, where they have often 3000$, 5000$ and even more, it's like for 5x more for us. So basicaly, it costed me so much as 250-300$ for most americans, when you count also salaries into account 😀

Thats why they selling it here for so low, cause for 100$ or 200$, noone would buy it here. We simply don't have so much money to spare for silly hobbies. I would say, maximum, what would someone take it here is 100$. Otherwise, it would cycle in advertising pages for months, maybe even for years. Most of motherboards here have problem to sell for 25$, including Slot 1 BX ones. Just last month, one MSI BX Master was for 40$ , noone take it for week. When it dropped to 30$, only one bidder took it. So no other bidder even tried. I grabbed that Abit BE6 for around 15$.

Reply 38388 of 52692, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
W.x. wrote on 2021-03-08, 12:23:

Well, when you compare our salaries here , most people have around 600 euro, and when you compare Germany, UK, USA, where they have often 3000$, 5000$ and even more, it's like for 5x more for us.

Ain't that the truth!
That's why it's pointless to compare german/american and hungarian prices. A slot1 P2 might cost me $7 but my monthly salary is $500.

Reply 38389 of 52692, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I take average price on eBay as a baseline. Of course not everyone is from a rich country - me included 🤣

It would be good if everyone that talks about cost or prices to include where he is from - or to put it in the profile.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 38390 of 52692, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2021-03-08, 13:16:

I take average price on eBay as a baseline. Of course not everyone is from a rich country - me included 🤣

It would be good if everyone that talks about cost or prices to include where he is from - or to put it in the profile.

Great ya. From what I seen if you live in Poland or in some post soviet state or 3rd world country old hardware is plentiful. Because they were still running it long after obsolescence and they don't throw stuff away.

If you live in America you toss shit in the trash, and then replace it with some junk from china and get $1400 dollar checks from the resident sleeper.

Reply 38391 of 52692, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I received a couple of goodies that I managed to find on Ebay.

The first, a gorgeous Yamaha CX5M computer @ the low price of 86€, a good price for any MSX but incredible for this somewhat rare model . The computer is a bit dirty, and is missing the synth, but no worries, I do have a SFG-01 and a SFG-05 as spares and a bit of elbow grease will put it to shine.

CX5m_01.jpg
Filename
CX5m_01.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license

Also, the PSU, a rather illusive one. Probably the most difficult part to find for this machine, and the din 13 connector that it uses is pure evil (had to make a psu for my YIS-503 and it was a pain in the neck).

CX5m_02.jpg
Filename
CX5m_02.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

At last a mother board for a Schneider Euro Pc (mk1). The idea was to sacrifice it to scavenge parts, namely the "JIM" IC, but I'm having second thoughts. The Varta did light damage and bedsides dirt is seems a promising Motherboard. So, guess my hunt for a JIM continues on.

Eurp_pc.jpg
Filename
Eurp_pc.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Euro_pc_vrt.jpg
Filename
Euro_pc_vrt.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 38392 of 52692, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arrived today LGA775 CPU, it is a Pentium E6700 SLGUF, 3.20GHz / 2M / 1066.
Purchased for a PC with MB ECS P4M890T-M2, there is currently a Core2 DUO 4400, which I slightly overclock by raising the frequency from 200 to 230.
On the same MB I had tried another similar CPU a Core2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz / 4M / 1066, unfortunately it did not boot, I don't know if it depends on the BIOS or other.

Attachments

• Pentium E6700.jpg
    Filename
    Pentium E6700.jpg
    File size
    117.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 38393 of 52692, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello friends, happy to finally got one of my beloved graphics card I had back then which seems to become rare (searched a few weeks for s good offer). It's the Radeon 9500 Pro! It was a very powerful card for fair money back then, and of course I did made it a 9700 somehow. I can't remember exactly but I think it was due to a special driver, no hardware modification. I cleaned everything up and spend some memory heatsinks on it. The gpu die is marked as ATI R300. Card is working fine and will become my daily driver in the Athlon XP setup.

Attachments

Reply 38395 of 52692, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Todays haul. A Diamond Monster sound card MX300 A3D (Aureal Vortex AU8830A2). A wonderful sound card with an interesting hand made packaging (cut to fit). Someone put some effort into packing it pretty good.

Diamond-Monster-sound-card-MX300.jpg
Filename
Diamond-Monster-sound-card-MX300.jpg
File size
312.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Some generic DB15 to DB15+MIDI cables…

DB15-to-DB15-and-MIDI.jpg
Filename
File size
247.27 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 38396 of 52692, by AskNotes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found and bought this dirty thing 😀 IBM PS/2 Model 30 002. Having fun cleaning and setting it up 😁

Attachments

• ibm ps2 model 30.jpg
    Filename
    ibm ps2 model 30.jpg
    File size
    56.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

From ZX Spectrum to IBM PS/2 30 and so on. http://asknotes.com/

Reply 38397 of 52692, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These Commodore64 Model-C case-badges are so gorgeous. I just had to buy a couple for my SixtyClone project..... (yes, it is eBay links)

Rainbow inspired
Gold version

Only question is. What will I choose for my SixtyClone? 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 38398 of 52692, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-03-07, 21:55:

Just bought this ATI WinCharger 1MB 113-32100-105 (I think it's the first revision) for £8.20 shipped. Didn't expect to win it for the opening bid 😀 Seller's pic

Oh well, it woulda been nice. Seller just refunded me, saying he got it out of storage on Saturday (so how had he photographed it?) and has since lost it 🙁

I'm now bidding on a later revision. Bit more expensive, but hey ho.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 38399 of 52692, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CMB75 wrote on 2021-03-09, 06:39:

Some generic DB15 to DB15+MIDI cables…

I've got fooled by these fancy cables before, they have no opto-isolators or any other components inside 😒

connectors are decent though, so you can modify them.