VOGONS

Common searches

Chex quest

Topic actions

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, is chex quest completely freeware or just abandonware?

Reply 1 of 6, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chex Quest was always freeware. Episode 1 came in cereal boxes. Episode 2 was a free download from the ChexQuest website. The cool dude who made them both then did Episode 3 about 15 years later and released all 3 episodes in one big mega wad as Chex Quest 3.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 3 of 6, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that's the real Chex Quest "3" the final version of the game. It comes as a stand alone game, but you can just throw the wad into your preferred release of GZDoom as well. There was also a totally different Episode 3 made years ago, but it was an unofficial fan game, and very poor quality from what I remember.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 5 of 6, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's worth noting that at some point, General Mills started an official website for the game::
https://www.chexmix.com/chexquest/

Additionally, a while ago the owner of dosgames.com contacted Charles Jacobi, the author of the "official" Chex Quest 3, who said that it's okay to distribute the DOS versions as long as no money is charged for the download.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 6 of 6, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the Chex quest games. I remember seeing the cereal box in the stores as a kid and and parents buying it for me. We all had a great time playing both 1 and 2. Fast forward and I'm now 34 and showing my boys 6 and 21 months and then getting a kick out of them. Now I can't wait to play number 3 thank you all for posting the links.