VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a problem with Windows 98, I have activated DMA on my hard drives and now the OS does not work.
Now, run on safemode Windows 98 but i don´t disable DMA, is hidden.
I need help, please. I wan´t install all SO.

Reply 1 of 9, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi GEOCE. My idea is to remove all IDE controller devices in the Device Manager in safe mode. Then after reboot into the normal mode it may try to reset all the settings as OS will reinstall the drivers.

Aside of that, you can check the BIOS settings, there's a chance that some option is disabled and the PIO mode is forced by the settings there.

Reply 2 of 9, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, use 80 wire IDE cables if you can

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 3 of 9, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
seleryba wrote on 2021-03-09, 00:02:

Hi GEOCE. My idea is to remove all IDE controller devices in the Device Manager in safe mode. Then after reboot into the normal mode it may try to reset all the settings as OS will reinstall the drivers.

Aside of that, you can check the BIOS settings, there's a chance that some option is disabled and the PIO mode is forced by the settings there.

That has no DMA in the bios. xD
Only Mode Pio 1, 2, 3 or 4.
I use in auto.

Reply 5 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GEOCE wrote on 2021-03-09, 12:21:
texterted wrote on 2021-03-09, 03:45:

Is the problem the cable? How can I know that?

Replace the cable with another 80 wire IDE cable - they normally have a grey, blue and black connector on each end. Also, you an easily see the wires inside the housing are much closely packed together (compared to a 40 wire cable).

Reply 6 of 9, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2021-03-09, 12:30:
GEOCE wrote on 2021-03-09, 12:21:
texterted wrote on 2021-03-09, 03:45:

Is the problem the cable? How can I know that?

Replace the cable with another 80 wire IDE cable - they normally have a grey, blue and black connector on each end. Also, you an easily see the wires inside the housing are much closely packed together (compared to a 40 wire cable).

Thx 😀
I'm going to look for that.

Reply 7 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there is DMA mode, and there is UDMA mode, normal DMA mode works on a 40 wire cable. UDMA mode requires an 80 wire cable.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 9, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same issue. on a Soyo 5BT5 board.
DMA always unticks itself after reboot.

Already installed chipset driver for 430TX: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 1/3.20.1008.zip

I cannot use a 80 PIN cable because they all have a blocked pin in the middle, mobo has all pins so I cannot connect it.

Reply 9 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eimer wrote on 2023-05-28, 15:30:

I cannot use a 80 PIN cable because they all have a blocked pin in the middle, mobo has all pins so I cannot connect it.

The 430TX only supports up to UDMA/33 which doesn't require an 80 pin cable.