VOGONS

Common searches

Is it worth it to build a 486 66 or 133 machine using VLB vs SOcket 7 with level 1 and 2 disabled?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 78, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Pentium class Socket 7 system will do fine. Every late DOS game will run fine on it. Every early and speed sensitive dos game will also work using setmul and/or slow down the system using an old isa vga card and/or underclocking the cpu. Other pros are: PnP Bios so easy setup of pnp isa soundcards. PCI Slots for a wide variety of ad on cards. Furthermore possibility to use USB drives for convenient data exchange (Windows 98SE) and PS2 connectors for modern mouse/keyboard, modern PSU and Case options when it is ATX. Also you will have more options for HDD in a Pentium class machine.
My conclusion is that 486 is the less reasonable solution but the best "emotional" solution for the real retro feeling.

Reply 22 of 78, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2021-03-15, 18:54:

I'm genuinely astounded by how quickly I'll be able to sell a 386 or a 486 on eBay vs. how long a "newer" system will stay up there that can do the job for half the price, even with an open haggling invitation. People will pay for nostalgia it seems - either that or they need an exact machine configured in some way for an industrial application. I've seen those off to places as far as Greece.

In any case, personally, I run real hardware. I've used DOSBox for work related things, I never bothered to try any games with it. To me, I need the tactile input of flipping a switch, hearing the monitor energize and flicker to life, and the hard disk sound spinning up. The floppy test and RAM counting is part of the boot experience. Having said that, the hardware is old, and will need at least an intermediate understading of the technology, a source of spares, and as the technology gets older, parts-swapping becomes component level repair and a certain amount of hoarding (or at least not throwing out damaged components) becomes necessary, and so do the skills involved in fixing those. In my case, it's forcing me to learn stuff I hadn't considered as a tech in the 90s.

So, if that $42 card is worth it is entirely up to you. For me, $42 CAD shipped to my door is an entirely welcome proposition 😉

Thats because real hardware right now will always be superior to emulation or GoG. I feel we are MANY years away to fully working FPGA core or a accurate MT-32/sound blaster /486-Pentium class type emulator. DOS box has been out what 20 + years so far. This is not like emulating simple hardware like a super nintendo. So many different games have specific timings and sounds if anyone knew what I was saying would know what I am talking about that grew up with a real 286-486/pentium mmx etc with all types of sound cards/video cards etc.

I actually owned a Adlib original card when it was released. Would I buy a remake that was virtually the same and was 99.9 percent compatible and sounded the same as the original .. Would buy the replica .Prob not . I would just get a sound blaster CT1600 which i own 3 and suits me just fine.. Timing /scrolling / emulated sound just sucks on dosbox and even on FPGA Mister 486 core. Will it get better maybe.. not anytime soon. Unless we get a new DE10 nano with a better /faster FPGA chip and documentation on all the hardware the last 30 years.

I plan on recapping a CT1750 FW 4.05 with gold audio caps and replacing the 2025b with a new chip . I will be doing 3 if the first one is successful and an improvement . Also the fact that I have the ability to recap my mobos /video cards and easily use my meter to check caps while in circuit seems worth it to me . I am sure the hard will last another 20 years easily. CRTs on the other hand will be going away when I can acquire a 32 or 42" OLED while using a OSSC for my retro computers. I am sure I will miss the CRTs but I feel the new LG OLEDs this year will be a satisfactory replacement to get rid of my bulky CRT. One may argue I am a hypocrite for hoarding old cpus/mobos/soundcards/video cards but I am now getting rid of my CRT . Well I guess you havent owned a OLED to know what I am talking about . If I can easily operate my retro computer with an IDE to SD card solution I will just go with that also. I do not need all the sounds to go along with it.
I think my goal is to build every era computer from 486 to a windows xp machine would be the way to go and it takes 5 computers I will go that route, I have the hardware to do it since this was the most nostalgic for me..

I will think about getting a good VLB for my 486 ,, since I guess this is the best option for this system. First I will need to make a K6-3+ socket 7 machine to see if this will satisfy my needs. I may just make a few of these so I do not have to mess with settings disabling cache and such. btw my best find was a AGP Voodoo 5500 for 2.00 at the good will 😉 to the guy that said i would be bragging

Reply 24 of 78, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unrealcpu wrote on 2021-03-16, 02:12:

I am sure I will miss the CRTs but I feel the new LG OLEDs this year will be a satisfactory replacement to get rid of my bulky CRT. One may argue I am a hypocrite for hoarding old cpus/mobos/soundcards/video cards but I am now getting rid of my CRT . Well I guess you havent owned a OLED to know what I am talking about .

Keep at least one. I have a nice 19 inch Sun for my 386, 486, and Pentium MMX (on a KVM) and a G54 for my soon-to-be PS/1000 setup. I have a Multisync 2A which I will pair with my V30 as well. I've been through probably 50 or more LCD 4:3s and they're not nearly as good as a real CRT, I find anyhow.

Don't chuck them, either. Check what they're going for on eBay now...

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 26 of 78, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-16, 09:18:

I have an excellent Iiyama Vision Master 19" CRT. Cleanest picture you've ever seen for a CRT, ever !
It will also absolutely and definitely crush your foot.

I'm keeping it.

while i got you on here do you know of a replacement for the mosfet CEB6030AL ? It is the CEB Series TO-263 on my MSI 5169 socket 7.

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/data … B6030AL-pdf.php

Reply 28 of 78, by shan2752

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Get a VLB 486 dx2 66 and a Windows 98 machine. You’ll be able to run everything you’d want to. You can slow down the 486 with moslo for older games that are CPU sensitive.

I could not care less regarding anyone who could care less about this recommendation.

Reply 29 of 78, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's probably sufficient. I have three systems to span everything from 1985 to 2000. A 386SX 16 covers the early 80s (increasing the wait state from 0 to 1 cripples the machine significantly, sufficient for XT stuff then), a DX4/100 (was originally a DX2/66, can still be one on a whim) for stuff from about 1992-1996, and a Pentium 233 MMX with Voodoo II for 1996 to 2000, maybe 2001 if you stretch that machine. 15k SCSI HDD and 192 Mb RAM helps.

I do have faster machines right now, but I don't keep them for long. I also have an NEC V30, similarly it is before my time. I'm tuning it up as a curiosity and YouTube content, then it's off to make room for something else. Probably a 4G63/4 stroker kit for my 35 year old Hyundai 😉

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 30 of 78, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2021-03-15, 00:51:
Yes? You are asking for a value judgement. […]
Show full quote
Unrealcpu wrote on 2021-03-15, 00:18:

Back on subject

Yes? You are asking for a value judgement.

The question remains: what exactly do you want to run? And what do you gain by not running it on something cheaper? Even if you forget about DOSBox, there is still a heap of alternatives.

If you just want to build this machine so you can shove it in a corner and let it collect dust and brag on the Internet, then the answer to your question is no, it is not "worth it".

If you feel that your life would somehow not be complete with anything less than a genuine 486 66 in your possession, then clearly it is worth any price.

^This. This would be my exact reply too.

Arrogant replies will get you nowhere. This is not your run-of-the-mill millennial forums.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 31 of 78, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shan2752 wrote on 2021-03-18, 23:32:

Get a VLB 486 dx2 66 and a Windows 98 machine. You’ll be able to run everything you’d want to. You can slow down the 486 with moslo for older games that are CPU sensitive.

I could not care less regarding anyone who could care less about this recommendation.

Thanks I will dos box sucks

Reply 32 of 78, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unrealcpu wrote on 2021-03-23, 02:40:
shan2752 wrote on 2021-03-18, 23:32:

Thanks I will dos box sucks

I am not running DOS box thats all that matters

It sucks

Reply 39 of 78, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-24, 06:25:

Dosbox will replace your failing hardware. It is inevitable.

Not with my soldering skills , you have fun the next 20 years with dos box with your inaccurate sound output

Attachments

• 20210321_154821.jpg
    Filename
    20210321_154821.jpg
    File size
    231.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20210321_154840.jpg
    Filename
    20210321_154840.jpg