VOGONS

First post, by ThruMy4Eyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm building a retro rig for a friend from leftover parts I've had since forever. This motherboard (AOpen mx46-533v) is was completely working a couple weeks ago when I tested it on my bench, audio and video was great, I played some Quake 3 Arena on it. Ordered a modern Rosewill MicroATX case and and installed it in there.

The case came with front audio jacks and an internal connector saying "HD Audio". I removed the AC97 jumpers on the motherboard and plugged in the case's audio connector. I got no audio from the case's jacks on the front, so I deduced the wiring wasn't the same between AC97 output and HD Audio. So I unplugged the front panel connector inside the case, and reinstalled the jumpers where they're supposed to be according to the motherboard manual.

Now I can't get any audio out of the rear connectors like I did before installing it into this case! Did I somehow fry the audio outputs on the motherboard or something? I've tried MANY different driver versions, and they all install perfectly fine and Device Manager says nothing wrong - but I get no sound output. Adjusting volume in Windows doesn't give me that indication sound. When I play a music file in Windows Media Player, the seek bar will move like it's playing, however the visualizations things will remain frozen and not react to what music is supposedly playing.

I'm at a complete loss here. I didn't think trying the HD Audio connector would fry anything onboard. Just trying to get a concrete answer before I have dig up a PCI sound card for this machine.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Win98SE - Socket370 Celeron 950MHz, 256 RAM, 80GB HD, DVD-ROM, integrated Intel graphics, SB Audigy.
WinXP/10/Linux - LGA775 Pentium E6600@3GHz, 6GB RAM, 250GB(x2) & 320GB HDs, DVD-burner, Radeon HD6450, onboard sound.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a pinout difference but not a kind that should fry stuff, even when the direction is reversed. Very strange indeed...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 10, by ThruMy4Eyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that's what I figured too, connecting it was worth a shot because it shouldn't have caused any damage. But I can't get this thing to produce any sound anymore. ALC202A Realtek chipset on Windows XP.

Win98SE - Socket370 Celeron 950MHz, 256 RAM, 80GB HD, DVD-ROM, integrated Intel graphics, SB Audigy.
WinXP/10/Linux - LGA775 Pentium E6600@3GHz, 6GB RAM, 250GB(x2) & 320GB HDs, DVD-burner, Radeon HD6450, onboard sound.

Reply 3 of 10, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure you've got those jumpers right. As they often disable the rear panel output and suchlike.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 5 of 10, by ThruMy4Eyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/449689/Aope … ?page=50#manual

This is the page on the manual where it shows what pins to put the jumpers on. Of course I downloaded a copy of the manual that didn't have a watermark RIGHT over the picture, haha.

Reply 6 of 10, by ThruMy4Eyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mut wrote on 2021-03-18, 19:50:

Back in the day I used to have a Athlon XP mobile + abit AN7 and I made the same mistake and the exact same thing happened to my board.

Your outputs were disabled and you managed to fix it, or you somehow broke it and weren't able to get it working again?

Reply 8 of 10, by ThruMy4Eyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mut wrote on 2021-03-19, 15:57:

In my case never worked again.

Yeah I'm thinking I might bang my head against it for a little longer. But if it doesn't get sorted out, I'll throw some sort of Sound Blaster in there. That way if he ever decides to go the DOS/Win9X route, it'll have decent sound there too.

Reply 9 of 10, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The design of AC'97 means the audio goes to the front panel first and then in the absence of headphones it gets looped all the way back to the I/O shield. So your motherboard must somehow still think the front panel is in use.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 10 of 10, by ThruMy4Eyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what I was possibly thinking too. But even if that were the situation, wouldn't I still get indications that sound is still playing in Windows?
My tip-off being that WMP visualizations freeze while a file is "playing" on the seek bar (clean install of XP with whatever ver of WMP that came with XP SP3)