VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SecuROM DRM works fine with Windows 10, no crack or any other modifications to the system necessary.

SafeDisc 2/3/4 and Starforce 3/4/5 are the 2 DRM that will not work on Windows 10.

I have SecuROm protected games on CD/DVD (retail) and they load fine (Saw, Silent Hill 3/4, Boiling Point : Road to Hell, Onimusha 3, Reservoir Dog, etc.)

I have the old version of GTA 2 (Safedisc 2 protection) but the Rockstar Classic Collection is Securom protected.

Reply 22 of 34, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried this fix on this site :

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Shadow_of_Destiny (same game, just 2 different names)

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 19:01:

I have three securom v4 games that won't work past XP... 🙁
The pc port of shadow memories, for example.

Reply 23 of 34, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have it (and it actually combines a patch and a NOCD in the same executable file), but once copied over the original EXE and launched, at runtime it replaces the European title of the game with the American one, and the French subtitles with English subtitles.
There's no UnsecuROMv4 tool, sadly. You have to remove it yourself. It's way too hard for me.

Reply 24 of 34, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there is UnSecuROM v1 on game burn world in the cd protection utilities, the one for Windows 2000/NT/XP loads on Windows 10, don't know if it's working for SecuROM v4 games.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-21, 19:51:

I have it (and it actually combines a patch and a NOCD in the same executable file), but once copied over the original EXE and launched, at runtime it replaces the European title of the game with the American one, and the French subtitles with English subtitles.
There's no UnsecuROMv4 tool, sadly. You have to remove it yourself. It's way too hard for me.

Reply 26 of 34, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-21, 09:52:

I don't think there is any pre-2002 game that I own, out of the 248 that works on 32-bit OS and not on 64-bit, only if you exclude the installer.

There are plenty of pre-2002 games that don't work with DEP which has no opt-in policy for 64-bit windows - meaning you have to disable it for the entire system, which is a very bad idea.
GoG found this out the hard way when they started selling Diablo and Warcraft2 and people with 64-bit windows couldn't run them without crashes at startup...

Reply 28 of 34, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shadow Memory works from Win98 VM on my Windows 10 and Linux, but I don't remember if I had to use no-CD patch. It's a great game but a slow one, running between 18~35 FPS, could be faster on Linux. Two other "uncrackable & nasty" StarForce DRM games (GT Legends, Xpand Rally) works, too. Both games had DRM-free re-release from Steam, but if you own the retail CD, then Win98 VM is the only way to play them on Windows 10.

ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-21, 23:18:

The default Windows 10 64-bit setting is disabling DEP for third party software. I've played Warcraft II Battle.net Edition on Windows 10 64-bit without issue.

I don't think this is true. DEP should be enabled globally by default on Windows 10. It could be an option that you had opted in, a very dangerous option indeed and a serious security flaw on modern computing. if this is your air-gapped system just use to play games, then it is fine. Otherwise, a NO-NO, and don't ever suggest others to do the same.

Reply 29 of 34, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Opt-in is definitely not the default policy.
GoG has since applied a hex-edit patch to storm.dll for the Blizzard games which fixes the memory allocation calls (for dynamic code) to be compatible with DEP.

Reply 30 of 34, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alcohol 120% provides some kind of SecuROM emulation, although I don't know the latest supported version of SecuROM. I can although verify that it works properly with games circa 1999.

jmarsh wrote on 2021-03-22, 05:56:

GoG has since applied a hex-edit patch to storm.dll for the Blizzard games which fixes the memory allocation calls (for dynamic code) to be compatible with DEP.

The problem still lies with retail games, the hex locations have different values in GoG and retail versions so one is incompatible with other. If you try to run a retail Blizzard game with storm.dll from GoG, the game may refuse to launch. The only possible solution I got there is to disable hardware DEP

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 31 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-22, 05:44:

I don't think this is true. DEP should be enabled globally by default on Windows 10. It could be an option that you had opted in, a very dangerous option indeed and a serious security flaw on modern computing. if this is your air-gapped system just use to play games, then it is fine. Otherwise, a NO-NO, and don't ever suggest others to do the same.

jmarsh wrote on 2021-03-22, 05:56:

The default Windows 10 setting is "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". My source for this is a clean Windows 10 Home 64-bit install from Microsoft install sources.

The dangerous advice is telling people to do something about DEP settings, because they usually end up turning on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select", making their applications crash for security measures even Microsoft doesn't want to force on them.

Edit: Since I have the setup ready, Warcraft II BNE works out of the box on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

If you mean Shadow of Memories, it's possible to get working on Windows 10. I don't think the problem was SecuROM, though I'm not sure.

Reply 33 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-22, 09:35:

Yes it works, but the usage of the French subtitles and the European title is gone once you apply the NOCD+Patched executable.

There's a patch for the European version too, hosted on the same site. PCGW probably links directly to the patch to avoid linking to piracy, but if you look around you should be able to find it.

It even works on the US version of the game, I got French subtitles just fine on Windows 10.