Topic actions

Reply 60 of 308, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2014-05-01, 18:36:
smeezekitty wrote:
Logistics wrote:

Since 98SE introduced ACPI, I bet that is a possible problem. You can Google how to disable ACPI in 98SE and see if it helps.

Why would ACPI cause a problem?

Some motherboards had flawed ACPI implementations that caused strange problems and instability. It has been awhile since I've run into it though. ACPI usually works ok. 98SE will actually detect many problematic BIOSs and switch to APM mode during initial setup.

Actually some USB2.0 cards don't like to work in an ACPI-less environment (Because the WDM nature of the USB drivers themselves, very important if you are using some USB2.0 pack made with Winxp files on it). So keep that in account.
As rule of gold... Old NEC usb2 chipsets can wristband certain legacy limitations of older configurations. Them can work in old style interrupt systems (have the legacy interrupt pin... but them will eat 2 or 3 irqs, so take that in account), and in ACPI-less environments. VIA ones don't. Them require MSI interrupts, and sometimes will work acpiless, or not... depends in driver configuration, and if you are using "packs" for generic device support.

Reply 61 of 308, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-02-10, 20:22:

Them can work in old style interrupt systems (have the legacy interrupt pin... but them will eat 2 or 3 irqs, so take that in account), and in ACPI-less environments.

This is my main gripe with using USB 2.0 cards on a Win9x/DOS rig. They take up too many IRQs and often don't allow you to change their values manually. This nearly always results in a conflict if you're using an ISA sound card.

On the other hand, a PCI network card only takes up one IRQ and you can usually choose which value it should use. It's an excellent alternative if file transfer speed is the main reason for wanting USB 2.0.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 63 of 308, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-02-10, 20:32:

This is my main gripe with using USB 2.0 cards on a Win9x/DOS rig. They take up too many IRQs and often don't allow you to change their values manually. This nearly always results in a conflict if you're using an ISA sound card.

On the other hand, a PCI network card only takes up one IRQ and you can usually choose which value it should use. It's an excellent alternative if file transfer speed is the main reason for wanting USB 2.0.

Well... An USB2.0 PCI card is actually a multifunction PCI device, unlike a standard NIC card (here no Intel advanced stuff). Each "eaten" IRQ is used for one of these functions: In NEC's legacy case, 1 for each OHCI USB1.0 controller functions (cards have generally 2 of these, as each one supports only 2 physical ports, and no root hubs), and 1 for the EHCI USB2.0 function, which supports all the physical ports connecting them via a virtual root hub, which also connects the OHCI controller to physical via switches logic to detect the actual device "speed mode". VIA ones cut the need of one IRQ forcing the EHCI controller to use MSI style interrupts, but the legacy UHCI controllers still will use an IRQ each one, so you still need 2 in case of 4port cards. This small side effect means the card can be used in old configurations not compatible with MSI interrupts (if electrically compatible ofc), BUT ONLY in USB1.0 mode. But since UHCI standard is also more picky with PCI specific implementation things, these still can bug with some PCI chipsets. OHCI is more tolerant in this case too, so the NEC legacy USB2 chips still win even if you disable EHCI 2.0 speed mode to save one IRQ.

This is well known by ReactOS devs.

Reply 64 of 308, by malloc32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two pci usb 2.0 (AliExpress), one has a via chip, the other has a Nec chip. Via doesn't work with my 430tx , video corruption, hangs the computer...., Nec's one work fine with my 430fx W95 and with my 430tx W98.

Reply 65 of 308, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-02-13, 04:32:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-02-10, 20:32:

Well... An USB2.0 PCI card is actually a multifunction PCI device, unlike a standard NIC card (here no Intel advanced stuff). Each "eaten" IRQ is used for one of these functions: In NEC's legacy case, 1 for each OHCI USB1.0 controller functions (cards have generally 2 of these, as each one supports only 2 physical ports, and no root hubs), and 1 for the EHCI USB2.0 function, which supports all the physical ports connecting them via a virtual root hub, which also connects the OHCI controller to physical via switches logic to detect the actual device "speed mode". VIA ones cut the need of one IRQ forcing the EHCI controller to use MSI style interrupts, but the legacy UHCI controllers still will use an IRQ each one, so you still need 2 in case of 4port cards. This small side effect means the card can be used in old configurations not compatible with MSI interrupts (if electrically compatible ofc), BUT ONLY in USB1.0 mode. But since UHCI standard is also more picky with PCI specific implementation things, these still can bug with some PCI chipsets. OHCI is more tolerant in this case too, so the NEC legacy USB2 chips still win even if you disable EHCI 2.0 speed mode to save one IRQ.

This is well known by ReactOS devs.

Thanks for shedding light on the subject! Very good info!

Reply 67 of 308, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NEC uPD720101 works alright in my 430tx motherboard drivers are fun to find for it though

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 69 of 308, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The NEC chipset is also good.
It runs in almost all Systems also sparc and PowerPC.
NEC OHCI USB 2.0

For some older systems I would go for a 2 port usb 1.1.
VIA Cards are Incompatible mostly because the cards are using many resources and no irq sharing etc.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 70 of 308, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've built-in USB on my socket-7 motherboard running Win98SE.
My problem is, A) I don't have the cable from the motherboard pins to provide USB ports B) I don't know what the USB chipset is and C) I don't know what the pinouts of the pins in order to make a USB cable.
Which would just make it easier to install a USB card, instead. 😒

Reply 71 of 308, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote on 2021-03-06, 13:59:

My problem is, A) I don't have the cable from the motherboard pins to provide USB ports B) I don't know what the USB chipset is and C) I don't know what the pinouts of the pins in order to make a USB cable.

Can't you figure this out with a multimeter?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 72 of 308, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waterbeesje wrote on 2021-03-06, 14:02:
Hamby wrote on 2021-03-06, 13:59:

Can't you figure this out with a multimeter?

In my signature I had to figure this out on the 430tx build check it out.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 73 of 308, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watch out for low framerates with USB 2.0 cards and MVP3 chipsets. Probably best off using the onboard USB if at all possible. Slow AMD K6-2+ 550 MHz performance?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 74 of 308, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a OPTI USB 1.1 Card on my MVP3, one should always use latest bios on HOT591 this will solve a lot of issues with IRQ Routing and Driver Issues, stability problems.

The onboard usb does not work on my board.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 75 of 308, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was playing with my new 166MMX and remembered I have an old USB PCI card in my box of bits under the bed that I hadn't used for years. I couldn't tell what brand it was because it has a silly sticker over the main chip. I installed it and saw the chip was a NEC so I Googled it and found this thread. I installed the nusb36.exe drivers (?) and rebooted and I now have 4 working USB 2.0 ports with zero hassle! I'll try and post a pic after work.

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 76 of 308, by Axatax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GeorgeMan wrote on 2014-04-27, 10:10:
swaaye wrote:

What cards have you guys used that work reliably on old boards? I have a card with a VIA controller and it isn't even detected by 440BX or AMD 750. It does work on newer chipsets like KT266 though.

You need a card with NEC chip, not VIA.

This. ALi and VIA are the K-Mart of semiconductors. Stay away.

Reply 77 of 308, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any *bootable* USB cards out there? As in, cards with their own boot ROM (like IDE/SATA, NIcs, etc)?
It'd make life a lot easier on older PCI machines if they could be booted off USB for install/maintenance - like yesterday it took me nearly a day to get some partitioning done because I needed something better than pqmagic and newer gparted is i686 only (whyyy!!)..and most of that time was spent fiddling with my PXE server :-/

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 78 of 308, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ltning wrote on 2021-03-22, 08:54:

Are there any *bootable* USB cards out there? As in, cards with their own boot ROM (like IDE/SATA, NIcs, etc)?
It'd make life a lot easier on older PCI machines if they could be booted off USB for install/maintenance - like yesterday it took me nearly a day to get some partitioning done because I needed something better than pqmagic and newer gparted is i686 only (whyyy!!)..and most of that time was spent fiddling with my PXE server 😒

You could try Gujin https://sourceforge.net/projects/gujin/files/standard/ It allows for Usb boot if memory serves me right.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 79 of 308, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look at making a floppy with the plop bootloader on it. It worked just fine on my PPro machine with a USB card when I still had it.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE