VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello. I'm having a very annoying issue with one of my computers. Ever since I've moved to a new house, the internet is slow and unstable on one computer yet on another computer on the same network it's all perfectly fine. Both computers are plugged in directly to my Xfinity modem via Ethernet. This typically happens whenever I visit Gmail or YouTube on the problematic computer.

This is what I've tried:

• Scanning for viruses with MSE and MBAM - No viruses found.
  • Two different web browsers (Firefox 78.9.0ESR and Google Chrome v89.0.4389.90).
  • Updating my Ethernet drivers.
  • A different Ethernet cable.
  • A different Ethernet port on the router.
  • Clearing all cookies and site data.
  • Resetting WINSOCK entries and IP TCP/IP stack settings with the netsh command.
  • Browsing from a Ubuntu Live CD - All fine here.
  • Browsing from Windows Safe Mode with Networking - Still having issues there.
  • Disabling necessary services using both Services.msc and Autoruns.

Here are the specs of the problematic computer:

• Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF
  • Intel Core i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Intel 82579LM Integrated Ethernet Adapter

I've gotten so frustrated and stumped by this predicament that I've went as far as ordering a TP-Link PCI-e Ethernet adapter to try to use with this computer to make sure that the integrated Intel Ethernet adapter isn't the problem. If anyone here has any suggestions on other things that I can do to fix this issue in the meantime (assuming it isn't just the integrated Ethernet adapter that's causing the issue), please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Browsing from a Ubuntu Live CD - All fine here."
In this case I'd be blaming the OS. how and why I don't know though. maybe something is still pointing to your old router or trying to find something on your old network?
Fingers crossed the new NIC gets around whatever the issue is

Reply 4 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2021-03-24, 11:18:

ipconfig /flushdns
would be a good one then to get rid of old entries.

I've tried that once and while it seemed to have fixed it for a while, the network connection reverted back to its unstable state on the next day. I've ran it again just now, so we'll see if that fixes it.

SpectriaForce wrote on 2021-03-24, 15:31:

What for category ethernet cables have you tried?

I'm using CAT5E Ethernet cables.

Reply 5 of 18, by nemo1217

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Both computers are plugged in directly to my Xfinity modem via Ethernet."
AFAIK, xifnity doesn't support multiple IP addresses for consumer plans. Did you try putting a router behind the modem and plug computers to the router instead ?

Reply 7 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Completely reset the TCP/IP config on the problem computer.

In an admin command prompt run:

netsh int ip reset

Then reboot and try again.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-26, 02:15:
Completely reset the TCP/IP config on the problem computer. […]
Show full quote

Completely reset the TCP/IP config on the problem computer.

In an admin command prompt run:

netsh int ip reset

Then reboot and try again.

Tried that. While it seemed to have worked after the first reboot, it became slow and unstable again on the next day. I'm wondering if my integrated Intel NIC is borked or something.

Reply 9 of 18, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/187 … 7-Final-Release the driver you're using ? if not... why don't ya give it a try.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-28, 14:44:

Is this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/187 … 7-Final-Release the driver you're using ? if not... why don't ya give it a try.

Tried that, didn't change a thing. Now I think I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling my Ethernet drivers to see if that fixes anything.

EDIT: Reinstalling the drivers didn't fix it. The internet connection is still unstable. While restarting the computer does fix it, it tends to be an annoying task to have to restart the computer shortly after turning it on every time just to fix the internet connection. If I leave the computer turned off for 30 seconds then turn it back on, the connection becomes unstable again. I've tried unplugging it for 30 seconds to see if it's a dead CMOS battery that's causing it, definitely not the case as the BIOS settings remained intact.

I guess it would be worth a shot to wait until my TP-Link NIC arrives so I can try that just to see if it is a faulty NIC that's causing this issue.

Reply 11 of 18, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given that you already covered many of the basics I will go for some odd possibilities :

¿Did yo try manually setting DNS servers of fast providers, i.e. Google's DNS? (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)

¿Have you checked your router's config to confirm there is no binding of you PC's MAC address to an IP address other than the one it is currently using?

HTH

Reply 12 of 18, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Random question have you tried swapping the Ethernet port for the slow computer on the router it could be that port on the router is flaky/ going bad. I had a very similar issue with a switch at work swapped the port and it's been fine since.

Reply 15 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be switching OSs

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 16 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know I'm necroposting on a 6-month old thread, but I've managed to fix this issue not long after my last reply. I was able to fix it by following this suggestion:

dataino.it wrote on 2021-04-16, 16:20:

Reduce the network speed , from 1Gb to 100Mb

This miraculously fixed the issue for me, everything's all good now. Thanks.

---

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-04-16, 16:32:

I'd be switching OSs

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done for me as I despise Windows 10 (and 11) with a burning passion. I've already used my only Windows 8.1 Pro license on another computer (the one that was working the whole time). I can't use Linux because there are certain Windows-only applications that I rely on (e.g. Paint.NET, which doesn't seem to work properly on WINE) and my printer's manufacturer (Canon) is notorious for having bad Linux support (just going by what some people have reported, I haven't actually tested my printer with a Linux computer so IDK if it'll work or not). However, I was pretty close to giving it a try since I've tried posting this topic on a couple other forums with no replies at all (and was about to post it on more forums, if not for me managing to fix the issue).

Reply 17 of 18, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried changing the flow control setting in the nic driver ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port