VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I got the cdrom version of Falcon AT recenly and this version actually was updated to include mouse control for flight. The mouse movement however is completely unusable. The falcon will spin wildly and crash at the slight budge fo the mouse and this occurs even in dosbox-x if i drop mouse sensitivity from 100 to 10, and if i even put mouse speed in my windows settings to the lowest setting.
even if i run the game with a simple cpu and a 286 or 386 setting in the conf file, the mouse is still way way way too sensitive.

what else might i be able to try to reduce mouse sensitivity?

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Falcon A.T. (aka Falcon 2) from 1988 seems a bit old for a CD-ROM version... are you sure you don't mean Falcon 3 from 1991?

In any case, the other side of the sensitivity equation could be cycles, so perhaps some amount of fixed cycles helps. If it really is the 1988 game then you will likely need less than the default 3000 cycles.

Reply 2 of 7, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-03-26, 11:35:

Falcon A.T. (aka Falcon 2) from 1988 seems a bit old for a CD-ROM version... are you sure you don't mean Falcon 3 from 1991?

In any case, the other side of the sensitivity equation could be cycles, so perhaps some amount of fixed cycles helps. If it really is the 1988 game then you will likely need less than the default 3000 cycles.

It is a Softkey compilation release cdrom that contained both Jetstrike and Falcon AT - it was released in 1994 i think, so yeah its an odd cdrom but it exists and the version fo Falcon AT on it does actually contain mouse control as an option (I have the 1988 Falcon AT version too in my box collection and i know that one doesnt have mouse control)

Falcon AT is a really weird one also because despite coming later, it actually seems to run at a pooorer frame rate than the original Falcon from 1987, which can run fine in low dosbox settings and smoothly enough to allow fine controls, but in Falcon AT this seems to be absent, which just cant be right surely

Reply 3 of 7, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is the compilation i am referring to that i get - this is just an image from google, but it is the same box/cd that i got

s-l400.jpg
Filename
s-l400.jpg
File size
44.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 7, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what is the machine=ega setting? i don think i have seen that in before - is that in the dosbox conf file?

i will try lower cycles and see -

another problem with this cdrom compilation version too is that its in game Frames just seem to be low regardless of what i do in some cases - the whether things are moving fast or slow, there is no gradual move of the plane when i pull back - even with the in game fine control switched on, - what this means is that it is almost impossible to get the aircraft lined up right with a target before it has already then passed over it - compounded by the unecessarily lower view distance in Falcon AT as compared to the first Falcon title

Reply 7 of 7, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well yes setting the cycles down way low does slow down the mouse but it also has the horrible effect of making all the mouse movements and key presses very slow to respond, so it remains still as impossible to play
maybe their mouse control setting was broken from the outset