Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2862 of 5944, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Drittz wrote on 2021-03-23, 01:53:

Just finished up Ion Fury. It's amazing the scale and detail that went into some of the level design. Anyway, I just started Amid Evil. Weapons are pretty nice and pack quite a punch. Nice variety too.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-23, 08:19:

Ion Fury is amazing. I can't wait for the sequel / DLC.

You know, I was really excited to play that, until the whole homo/transphobia controversy that I'm not going to go into detail on here because this is not the place for it. But clearly they care more about catering to the worst members of their audience than they do someone like me. And who am I to argue?
Glad you guys are having fun with it, though. It's nice when games are good.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 2863 of 5944, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, at least there is a lot of other retro FPS these days. Which don't have this kind of controversy (or any controversy for that matter) attached to them.

Have you heard of Viscerafest, Hrot, and Nightmare Reaper to name a few ? 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQvLjFRUJo

Reply 2865 of 5944, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-03-26, 07:38:

Well, at least there is a lot of other retro FPS these days. Which don't have this kind of controversy (or any controversy for that matter) attached to them.

Have you heard of Viscerafest, Hrot, and Nightmare Reaper to name a few ? 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQvLjFRUJo

Oh man, those look rad. Thanks.

Reply 2866 of 5944, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After having heard of the RTW remaster, I finally ended up using one of my original RTW keys to get a Steam version for free so I can get the 50% off for the remastered edition, if I want to go get it. And I ended up playing RTW for the first time in a year or so. I should really mod this install.
Important for me will be whether the remaster will be moddable (most likely it will), how it will be moddable and whether or not certain hardcoded limits have been removed like the maximum number of factions and maximum number of regions or mapsize etc.

badmojo wrote on 2021-03-21, 22:35:

I was doing some "testing" on my P4 rig last night after a PSU install and fired up F.E.A.R - such a great game and it occurred to me that it was my DOOM3 substitute back in the day. Yes it has the horror stuff which provided some good jump scares but more than that the game-play was very DOOM (1 and 2) - tight, simple shooter mechanic and level design that went 'action -> reload / medi-kit ->action' and then occasional boss. DOOM3 is fine but it was out-doomed by F.E.A.R IMO 😃

F.E.A.R. is an awesome game! I played through all the campaigns (the original one several times, even purposefully limiting myself to certain weapons during one playthrough just to see how it was).
Even played it in multiplayer in a LAN here at my place after I had gotten my friends addicted to F.E.A.R. as well *evilgrin*

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2867 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2021-03-26, 20:17:

After having heard of the RTW remaster, I finally ended up using one of my original RTW keys to get a Steam version for free so I can get the 50% off for the remastered edition, if I want to go get it. And I ended up playing RTW for the first time in a year or so.

Rome: Total War? That's what came up when I googled RTW. It's an acronym (and a game) I'm not familiar with...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2868 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kingdom Come Deliverance

I started this game last night and have just completed the "Run!" mission. Man, that was tough. Took several tries. You have to double-tap the LSHIFT key for the horse to gallop at full speed, AND steer with A and D AND look around with the mouse. I ended up just centering the view with the mouse, then moving my right hand over to AD to steer while I used my left hand to double-tap LSHIFT as needed to keep the horse at full speed (allowing him to trot to regain stamina as needed). I hope this isn't how the bulk of the game plays out. I prefer my RPGs to be more mentally played. I don't enjoy real-time RPGs that require amazing hand-eye coordination. The graphics and story so far are brilliant, I just hope it doesn't require too much twitch to play successfully. This is why I prefer turn-based RPGs where mind and tactics rule over hand-eye coordination...

Reply 2870 of 5944, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2021-03-27, 21:26:

I prefer my RPGs to be more mentally played. I don't enjoy real-time RPGs that require amazing hand-eye coordination. The graphics and story so far are brilliant, I just hope it doesn't require too much twitch to play successfully. This is why I prefer turn-based RPGs where mind and tactics rule over hand-eye coordination...

I mentioned it in here a few days ago, but I've been playing Bravely Default II and (if you have a Switch, at least) I highly recommend it if you prefer turn-based RPGs. High degree of character customization that lets you combine the skills of any two unlocked classes simultaneously, plus up to five passive bonuses from any combination of others. And the central "gimmick," as it were, is that you can pass your turn to stock up for later use to act a bunch of times in a row, or take an advance on future turns at the expense of then being unable to act until it catches up. And your foes can do the same, meaning there's a lot of observation and planning involved, particularly in the boss fights that get really tricky really quickly.
The story isn't really anything special, but it has some of the most enjoyable turn-based combat I've ever played.

Reply 2873 of 5944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2021-03-27, 21:26:

I hope this isn't how the bulk of the game plays out. I prefer my RPGs to be more mentally played. I don't enjoy real-time RPGs that require amazing hand-eye coordination. The graphics and story so far are brilliant, I just hope it doesn't require too much twitch to play successfully. This is why I prefer turn-based RPGs where mind and tactics rule over hand-eye coordination...

The rest of the game is proper open world that you play at your own pace, and the combat is likewise slow-ish and strategic. I guess they were trying to engage the player in the story early with that on-rails opening act but that horse bit was hard and frustrating I agree - just keep playing a little longer and you'll be let loose. Next time I start that game I'm going to look for a mod that lets me skip that whole bit 😋

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2874 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2021-03-28, 10:32:

The rest of the game is proper open world that you play at your own pace, and the combat is likewise slow-ish and strategic. I guess they were trying to engage the player in the story early with that on-rails opening act but that horse bit was hard and frustrating I agree - just keep playing a little longer and you'll be let loose. Next time I start that game I'm going to look for a mod that lets me skip that whole bit 😋

Thank you, kind sir! I'm a little further in now, talking with Sir Robard at the Castle Walls, and this is more like it. 😀 The game is performing well on my system too! i7-4770, 12GB DDR3, GTX 1650S with vsync on it's averaging about 57 fps with a mix of mostly Very High and High graphical options.

Reply 2875 of 5944, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no mouth and i must scream Macintosh version with Roland Sound Canvas SC88.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 2876 of 5944, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the Star Wars fans out there, Dark Forces II Jedi Knight mod for Win10. Pretty cool playing this in 2K!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPKQezxSak

It's a bit of work but I'm having fun with it, you're mileage may vary.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2879 of 5944, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've fired up Dungeon Keeper 2 again. I remember playing an ARRR'ed copy back in college, but I clearly vastly misremembered when and on what hardware. I thought I had played it on the laptop I was sent off to college with, which had an unremarkable mobile CPU and a mobile Geforce 2 MX. This was clearly impossible. I must have been playing it senior year, likely on a laptop I had bought the previous summer.

Anyways, tried installing it off some CD's I ebayed, but it hit a serious hitch on one of the music resource files. So I skipped that file, and copied it out of my Steam copy later. Funnily enough, when I went to go play it my system blue screened and restarted in short order. Possibly because I left the USB stick in? Who knows. I unplugged it and it never happened again. The functionality of all the parts in this system are suspect.

I'm enjoying it so far though. Runs a bit rougher than I remember. But as I've already established, my memory regarding this game is severely off. Possibly I've conflated the first and second games. It is a chill enough game that I think I can leisurely get through it, which has been a problem of late.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS