VOGONS

First post, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if there are benchmark numbers for old AGP cards

I found out my medion retro pc will run windows 98 se but now I want to find out how my agp graphic cards compare

I have quite a few but I will list the ones I have identified, testet and have at the ready in order to discover which would be the best for my new win98se pc

I have...

medion radeon 9800 xl agp
nvidia geforce 2 mx agp
nvidia riva tnt 2 m64 agp
s3 trio agp
ati rage IIc agp
cgn-318atvd (club 3D GeForce FX5600) agp

I have loads more but these are the ones I have dug out recently

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 2 of 4, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The old benchmarks for 2d cards like the s3 trio were programs like wintune.
For 3d benchmarks you have 3dmark 99, 2000 and games like quake and unreal.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 3 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not think you'll be able to find benchmarks comparing all those cards in roughly the same system with the same applications. To find out how they compare in your system you'll have to do the benchmarking yourself. (And of course post your findings here. 😉)

Here's my prediction of the results:
Out of the cards you listed the Radeon 9800xl is by far the fastest, followed by the GeForce FX 5600. Both belong to the same generation of 3D cards. If you have a PC with more than a GHz out of the cards you listed those are the ones to go for.
The GeForce 2 MX is again a whole lot slower but it'll still be ok for the vast majority of Win98 3D games. The TNT2 M64 is going to be ok for less demanding 3D games and being a card from the hayday of Win9x it'll have a bit better compatibility than the faster cards.
I also guess S3 Trio and Rage IIc are both too slow to give an enjoyable hardware accelerated 3D experience in most later Win9x games.

Reply 4 of 4, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the feedback guys

I will use the 9800xl agp in a windows 98 build based on a pentium 4 system

I am also considering building another win98 gaming rig with a late pentium 4 and a radeon x600 pci express card

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850