VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As it happens, just tried to get this one to run on Windows 10 to no avail (In both D3D/VooDoo modes, that is.). Even Worse: The only update patch available throws a weird error prompt indicating a possible file mismatch as illustrated.

TD5UpdateError.jpg
Filename
TD5UpdateError.jpg
File size
14.07 KiB
Views
File comment
TD5 Updater File Mismatch Error.
File license
CC-BY-4.0

BTW I've tried this on my current rig. (Ryzen5 3600X/RX580/Corsair Vengeance LPX/Win 10 b2004.) Please Help!

Greetings.

Reply 1 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Speedwarrior956 wrote on 2021-03-29, 17:10:
As it happens, just tried to get this one to run on Windows 10 to no avail (In both D3D/VooDoo modes, that is.). Even Worse: Th […]
Show full quote

As it happens, just tried to get this one to run on Windows 10 to no avail (In both D3D/VooDoo modes, that is.). Even Worse: The only update patch available throws a weird error prompt indicating a possible file mismatch as illustrated.

TD5UpdateError.jpg

BTW I've tried this on my current rig. (Ryzen5 3600X/RX580/Corsair Vengeance LPX/Win 10 b2004.) Please Help!

Greetings.

This error comes up if you causing a different version of the game. The patch is made for a different region than the game you are using. Or you have replaced some files in the game directory, for eg no-CDs.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Test Drive 5 (the patch installs correctly) *.exe CRC32s:
TD5_D3D.EXE -- a78cf48c.
VOODOO2.EXE -- 95a60e61.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 10, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dancsi40 wrote on 2021-03-29, 17:48:

Have you tried the solution posted here : https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Test_Drive_5 ?

Yup. just tried it right now. Same error and stuff as before on every Windows Compatibility Mode available.....still to no avail, Which makes me wonder if the release i've got is the European one from Electronic Arts or the USA version from Accolade. (According to PCGW's entry for TD5, there was an additional Japanese Edition from Capcom, but i'm more inclined to think that the one i've got is either for NTSC or PAL Windows.)

Reply 5 of 10, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is another patch here, it's the worldwide version :

https://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4177/7/52033/download

I don't know if the one on PCGW is the same.

Speedwarrior956 wrote on 2021-03-29, 20:52:
Dancsi40 wrote on 2021-03-29, 17:48:

Have you tried the solution posted here : https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Test_Drive_5 ?

Yup. just tried it right now. Same error and stuff as before on every Windows Compatibility Mode available.....still to no avail, Which makes me wonder if the release i've got is the European one from Electronic Arts or the USA version from Accolade. (According to PCGW's entry for TD5, there was an additional Japanese Edition from Capcom, but i'm more inclined to think that the one i've got is either for NTSC or PAL Windows.)

Reply 8 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have to do anything, both the full game and demo worked right away on Win98 VM. The full game is the Accolade USA 1999 release. The game uses Glide3x renderer or Direct3D, both worked at 60FPS on any PC/laptops from the last 7 years.

If you have AMD CPUs, then you need to replace TD5_D3D.EXE and VOODOO2.EXE with the Intel version from the CD. The installation detected AMD CPUs and installed AMD versions which use 3DNow! instructions that no longer supported in recent AMD CPUs.

Reply 9 of 10, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dancsi40 wrote on 2021-03-29, 22:15:

Ok, usually, we can check the version of the game's executable in the properties - version tab. If it says 1.1, then it's already patched.

....or maybe in the Readme file.

Attachments

• TD5Readme.jpg
    Filename
    TD5Readme.jpg
    File size
    25.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The official Readme for Test Drive 5
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 10 of 10, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-29, 23:19:

I don't have to do anything, both the full game and demo worked right away on Win98 VM. The full game is the Accolade USA 1999 release. The game uses Glide3x renderer or Direct3D, both worked at 60FPS on any PC/laptops from the last 7 years.

If you have AMD CPUs, then you need to replace TD5_D3D.EXE and VOODOO2.EXE with the Intel version from the CD. The installation detected AMD CPUs and installed AMD versions which use 3DNow! instructions that no longer supported in recent AMD CPUs.

So that's what caused all that ruckus? It's been fixed now. (The game installer seems to look for whatever CPU/GPU combo you've got installed on your rig though.) Only thing to get sorted is the controls, so i'll be giving it the Xinput+ treatment to it. Stay Tuned.....

(BTW the game runs quite smoothly on both DgVooDoo v2.55.3 and my current GPU despite the sluggishness on the menus. (512*384 4:3 for base resolution? Gimme a break!) Gameplay is OK as it needed more work on the collision detection, handling and damage rendering departments. I do think it deserves a thorough remastering to bring it up to date with the most current graphics cards available today.)

Thanks for the tip, bro!