VOGONS

Reply 520 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah so you somehow got a X2 with the default dream Soundbank, sorry about that it must have gotten mixed with the updated ones 🙁
About midi/digital balance it should not have been an issue at all - you also flashed the smaller DXP file as well, right? It's the mixer setup for the X2

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 521 of 1060, by Tense

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-02-11, 06:38:

Ah so you somehow got a X2 with the default dream Soundbank, sorry about that it must have gotten mixed with the updated ones 🙁
About midi/digital balance it should not have been an issue at all - you also flashed the smaller DXP file as well, right? It's the mixer setup for the X2

Which one?

I installed PhilsComputerLab Preset for X3MB Buran.DXP first and then installed GUD_104.DXP after.

On a side note do you plan on having a mixer TSR or anything at any point? Something like this:

Fsri92M.jpg

Would be super helpful than trying to deal with the ini. Should I post it in the Orphinit post instead? 😁

Reply 522 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PhilsComputerLab Preset for X3MB Buran.DXP is the one to have flashed
no tsr mixers are planned (tbh I thought everybody hated them like I do 🤣 ) really it is weird you are having these issues... are you sure you are setting volumes correctly in the .INI ? some go backwards - meaning larger number is lower volume

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 523 of 1060, by Tense

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, keropi, I am going to mess around some more with the mixer now that I flashed phil's on there last night

. And yes I hate TSRs but it might be helpful to have the ability so you can zero in your mix, save it and then never run it again... unless you need to make adjustments again.

Reply 524 of 1060, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I've been fooling around with the Crystal Windows 9x drivers in Ghidra, and found some interesting references in the decompiled code.
I wish I knew more about driver programming or x86 assembly, but this kinda looks like the CS4232 can support ADPCM, or at least has a reference to it in drivers:

ghidra.png
Filename
ghidra.png
File size
83.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 525 of 1060, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DNSDies wrote on 2021-02-18, 22:18:

So, I've been fooling around with the Crystal Windows 9x drivers in Ghidra, and found some interesting references in the decompiled code.
I wish I knew more about driver programming or x86 assembly, but this kinda looks like the CS4232 can support ADPCM, or at least has a reference to it in drivers:
ghidra.png

let me know if you get his working on windows 2k/xp while playing with the drivers

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 526 of 1060, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That ADPCM is probably just WSS ADPCM that all WSS codecs support in addition to couple raw PCM formats.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 527 of 1060, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi I have several questions about that excellent card and I'm afraid to abuse keropi's time since he has been so generous already at helping me setting it up in my computer. Now it's in a pentium 4, but who knows where it will be tomorrow since I'm always reorganizing my setup in an effort to optimize its usage

1) So my first question is about windows 2000 and windows 98 mixer aka "sndvol32.exe". What is that "Serial" thing ? It appear in the Recording Control and Master Out. Probably it's related to CS4237 ?

2) I dont know why warcraft 1 & 2 on dos fail to detect the soundblaster (p=220,i=5,d=1) for digital audio. Anybody else can test it ? Maybe it's my setup that is not ideal for old dos titles. Are they any other dos titles from Blizzard that would have soundblaster audio ? Maybe that would help to understand the problem...

3) I was wondering about using the AC97 to have a second internal line-in. I suppose microphone jack is maybe on the same line as the ac97 mic-in ? I think some non standard implementation, or part of retasking, of AC97 or HDA would had some way to disable the mic preamp and use it as a line level input . I was wondering if the orpheus/cs4237 allowed for anything in that matter.

Reply 528 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sorry I have been extremely busy and simply forgot reply or test warcrafts...

1. maybe it's related to s/pdif output, I have no idea since I never tested the w2k driver

2. warcraft1 works fine with SBPRO option
warcraft2 autodetects and uses fine either SBPRO or WSS options , both tested on my 233mmx system
my guess is that the issues you have are caused by the p4 you are using - it's simply too fast

3. mic-in at CS4237 is a mono input and there is no way to configure it as a 2nd line-in sorry

Reply 529 of 1060, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please dont be sorry, I felt it might be more useful if we discuss some aspect of the card in public anyway. I hope I have not been indelicate at bringing my questions to the forum. All other games I did try so far worked perfectly and the support you gave me installing the card was outstanding.

1] I setup the card in win98 to confirm it's here too. It's not shown by default so you need to bring it via the "Options\Properties\Show the following volume controls". It's probably related to the CS4237 chip, I'll try to figure it out and get back to you if I have any insight.

2] I appreciate your confirmation, it help me orient my investigation. I'm glad it's related to the mobo and not the card since the former has less value to me. Of course I did not brought a p4 to play warcraft 1/2 but their setup are convenient to test soundcard. I would prefer to listen to a warcraft1/2 playlist on dosmid.exe using all the tone generator the Orpheus can present. I did try some tricks to lower the speed of that p4 (disabling cache, dos slowdown util) but so far nothing gives. I agree it look like a timing issue since you can hear the card initializing then after a long delay warcraft 1/2 tell you there is no card to be found. Since it's unrelated to the soundcard I will search elsewhere as I'm curious to understand what's happening.

Reply 531 of 1060, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote on 2021-03-28, 23:21:

@ElBrunzy

Are you sure your Pentium 4 system fully supports ISA DMA?

Not at all, carlostex, not at all... In fact I think you might be on to something here. I did try TEST-SBP.EXE (1.91 and 1.82), io address test is okay, but it stop at IRQ, saying it cannot be detected. Manual mode dont help. But I'm not sure what test-sbp.exe worth since test-sbc.exe dont even detect a sb 1.5 on another computer.

What makes me believe you are right about the DMA idea is that another game with problem is Ultima 7 Black Gate. The red face at the start of the intro stop talking after saying "avat" on the speech that start with "avatar, know that Britannia has...". But game with smaller audio, like wolfenstein 3d and simon the sorcerer 2, works well. Under windows I ran "la sculpture" by Farbrauschin in loop for about 2h at maximum setting and there was no audio problem I could notice.

Do you have any other way to test and diagnose dma support ? I'm been searching a bit and read this thread, but I'm not sure what to make of that i845 chipset yet. Eventually I will find a better host for the Orpheus.

Reply 532 of 1060, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-03-30, 03:39:
Not at all, carlostex, not at all... In fact I think you might be on to something here. I did try TEST-SBP.EXE (1.91 and 1.82), […]
Show full quote
carlostex wrote on 2021-03-28, 23:21:

@ElBrunzy

Are you sure your Pentium 4 system fully supports ISA DMA?

Not at all, carlostex, not at all... In fact I think you might be on to something here. I did try TEST-SBP.EXE (1.91 and 1.82), io address test is okay, but it stop at IRQ, saying it cannot be detected. Manual mode dont help. But I'm not sure what test-sbp.exe worth since test-sbc.exe dont even detect a sb 1.5 on another computer.

What makes me believe you are right about the DMA idea is that another game with problem is Ultima 7 Black Gate. The red face at the start of the intro stop talking after saying "avat" on the speech that start with "avatar, know that Britannia has...". But game with smaller audio, like wolfenstein 3d and simon the sorcerer 2, works well. Under windows I ran "la sculpture" by Farbrauschin in loop for about 2h at maximum setting and there was no audio problem I could notice.

Do you have any other way to test and diagnose dma support ? I'm been searching a bit and read this thread, but I'm not sure what to make of that i845 chipset yet. Eventually I will find a better host for the Orpheus.

What is the brand / model of your motherboard? Is there an ITE bridge chip on the motherboard? If so, what does it say on it?

Are there settings in the BIOS to change PCI/ISA IRQ from PnP to manual and then let you set IRQs to "legacy ISA" or similar?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 533 of 1060, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the a option for Digital I/O in the bios? I have a 845 Industrial board with ISA slots and I had to set the Digital i/o address (220) and then my Digital Sound would work (This was on a Awe64 Gold).

Reply 534 of 1060, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-30, 05:06:

Are there settings in the BIOS to change PCI/ISA IRQ from PnP to manual and then let you set IRQs to "legacy ISA" or similar?

Great, that was it Cyclone3d ! Unlike the IRQ, I dont think I tested putting the DMA on legacy ISA, and I'm not so sure I used legacy ISA or ISA/PNP. Well, now I know my ISA DMA is working thanks to the Winbond W83628F W73629D PCI-to-ISA set and that I have a i845G B1 north bridge. Warcraft 1/2 is working, test-sbp.exe detect the card (although it dont play the digitized sound but maybe he want a sample file since the .exe is only 72kb, but the demo music is playing). The ultima7 speech is complete. I'm really glad it's working now!

Bancho wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:13:

Is the a option for Digital I/O in the bios? I have a 845 Industrial board with ISA slots and I had to set the Digital i/o address (220) and then my Digital Sound would work (This was on a Awe64 Gold).

Thanks for your input. My onboard audio was easier to disable. I think we might have a similar board. It's very hard to gather documentation for them. Even the BIOS and CPUZ conflicted about the north bridge model (at least it was not the i845GL the ebay seller advertised, but he clearly didnt knew better). If you have any source of information regarding those boards can you PM me please ?

I was fiddling again with other sound setup games when I realized that the PCMIDI did not need softmpu as expected, but not for the dreamblaster either. To have them playing independently I put PCMIDI on 300 and CS MPU on 330 (having the WTC jumper in "CS" position and the two other in "I") I was expected to need softmpu for the CS MIDI. Does it dont need it too ? Is this another good news for me today ?! Thank you all for your support, and I now somehow feel obliged to enjoy a game of warcraft 2... 😁

Reply 535 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CSMPU does not need softmpu *unless* you want it to work with Intelligent Mode games (effectively emulating a roland intelligent mode mpu)
but you don't care about that since you have PCMIDI part of the card doing that intelligent mode thing on it's hardware

so for your setup CSMPU at port300 will work with all GM games without any extra driver
PCMIDI at port330 will drive your MT-32 for the roland games or whatever synth you might connect there as it does both intelligent and uart modes in hardware

Reply 538 of 1060, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright the form links are active again - just be patient as the situation is still the same: soldering and more soldering and even more soldering 🤣