VOGONS

First post, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I ordered a new 120gb ide hdd off ebay and the seller instead sent me a used 250gb ide hdd (this model: https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-HCP725025GLAT8 … B/dp/B00QJAA1X6). I didn't realize it was 250gb when I installed windows 98se and set up my drivers.

Everything is working OK so far. I just did a double take when I opened my computer and saw a 230 gb C: drive. It's the only partition.

Everything I've read suggests that this shouldn't be working. My only other ide/<128gb drive currently is used in another retro system, and I'm reluctant to wipe it and use it for the new retro system if I don't have to (even though that system is basically decommissioned atm).

Does anyone know what type of limitations or headaches I'm likely to run into if I just keep this 250gb, one partition install going? I'm likely to want to run some DOS games on it- not many, but some (it's a socket a athlon 1800, SiS735, voodoo5, sblive! build focused on glide and windows 95/98 adventure/fmv games).

Thanks for any insights!

Reply 1 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-Win9x has problems using more than 137gb on a single HDD. Those problems can be somewhat overcome with patches and drivers. Additionally fdisk has problems with creating/formatting drives larger than 32(?)gb. There are alternavties to fdisk and patches for fdisk to solve this problem.

-Older IDE controllers can not use drives larger than 137gb. Afaik there's no fix for that.

Both are the same size limitation but as far as I understand for different reasons. Still this creates confusion.

If your drive controller supports drives larger than 137gb there shouldn't be a problem with creating a single 137gb partition on a drive and installing Win98 on it.

Reply 2 of 6, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-04-07, 21:44:

If your drive controller supports drives larger than 137gb there shouldn't be a problem with creating a single 137gb partition on a drive and installing Win98 on it.

It definitely does afaik- my ECS K7S5A supports up to 250gb hdd's on 'newer' bios- and it has that bios.

So it seems like it's just a question of what will happen with win9x- and I guess if it's working so far, it should keep working...(?)

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your BIOS see's HD fine the only issue you may run into is the 137Gb Win98SE max where it could start overwriting files or mess with the boot sector if you do not patch 98SE with the large drive fix .
If it were me would make a 120GB C boot partition and then make the rest D drive but you may want to patch 98SE instead of remaking the partitions.
About the native 128GB (~137Gb) max of Win98SE from Phils: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6j5tW0iwU and this topic:
About max size and patch files: Hard drive and partition sizes in Windows 98 SE

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-04-07, 21:44:
-Win9x has problems using more than 137gb on a single HDD. Those problems can be somewhat overcome with patches and drivers. Add […]
Show full quote

-Win9x has problems using more than 137gb on a single HDD. Those problems can be somewhat overcome with patches and drivers. Additionally fdisk has problems with creating/formatting drives larger than 32(?)gb. There are alternavties to fdisk and patches for fdisk to solve this problem.

-Older IDE controllers can not use drives larger than 137gb. Afaik there's no fix for that.

Both are the same size limitation but as far as I understand for different reasons. Still this creates confusion.

fdisk doesn't have a problem with formatting or partitioning large hard drives, it just misreports the capacity. I have always used the version of fdisk on the windows 98 CD and it works fine. Once you get in windows the capacity is reported correctly.

Given windows 98 LBA limitation, you are just waiting for windows 98 to wrap around its address space and override your data or the boot sector. You can patch it, apparently, but I prefer to leave windows 98 unpatched and work within its limitations.

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even for much smaller drives I prefer to give windows a smaller partition. Typically 4GB but no greater then 40.
Benefits are.
Scandisk doesn't take an age if windows isn't shut down properly.
If Windows commits suicide for whatever reason I can simply format C:\ and reinstall with all my games, ISO's, etc safely on D:\
Usually I have a 3rd "recovery" partition with a copy of the windows install files, drivers, etc.

Reply 6 of 6, by jfarms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-08, 10:07:
Even for much smaller drives I prefer to give windows a smaller partition. Typically 4GB but no greater then 40. Benefits are. S […]
Show full quote

Even for much smaller drives I prefer to give windows a smaller partition. Typically 4GB but no greater then 40.
Benefits are.
Scandisk doesn't take an age if windows isn't shut down properly.
If Windows commits suicide for whatever reason I can simply format C:\ and reinstall with all my games, ISO's, etc safely on D:\
Usually I have a 3rd "recovery" partition with a copy of the windows install files, drivers, etc.

I think this is great advice. I'm going to return the 250gb used hdd and get a couple 20 or 40gb ide drives that I can partition a few times for OS, recovery partition, and maybe even a dos partition if I ever build a retro system with an ISA slot motherboard... because exactly what I needed was an excuse to build yet another system on top of my totally overkill three 98se builds (a 775 p4 that goes vroom with agp 8x and gf4, a p4 agp 2x compatible board for voodoo, and socket a agp2x for voodoo).