Best sound/music option for DooM?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-04-08, 05:08:
Axel Moore wrote on 2021-04-08, 05:03:

I were testing about 100 soundfonts and none of them cant achieve the quality of SC-55, may be is bc my setup.

Did you try Patch93's SC-55 soundfont?

Here's how it sounds on my SBLive.

It sounds perfect! Exactly the same as Sound Canvas VA, thank you.

Reply 21 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-04-08, 05:44:

GUS version has its moments. And Adlib/SB music brings the best nostalgia and is pretty good. Nobody had a SC-55 back in the day, that we started to play DooM.

I remember the 90´s when the sound cards war was alive, it was soundblaster vs gus. My friends used to tell me that midis in my awe32 used to sound like a village orchestra, and i used to reply them that gus sounds like a frankenstein.

Good old times...

Reply 22 of 61, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hes mixing MT-32 and SC-55 together, then maybe post processing on top of that. it's what sounds best to him. Post Processing alone can do a lot to change how something sounds, adding more base or treble etc or effects. To me that is all very subjective, and not at all how Id think its supposed to sound.

Since you have a X-FI maybe try routing analog audio to it and turning up the crystalizer and see if that makes it sound better 🤣

Reply 23 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-04-08, 05:56:

Hes mixing MT-32 and SC-55 together, then maybe post processing on top of that. it's what sounds best to him. Post Processing alone can do a lot to change how something sounds, adding more base or treble etc or effects. To me that is all very subjective, and not at all how Id think its supposed to sound.

Since you have a X-FI maybe try routing analog audio to it and turning up the crystalizer and see if that makes it sound better 🤣

Exactly 😀 This thread is about my subjetive view of "the best". I can understand that "the best" for some people is emulate exactly the same sound of the 90´s, and its fantastic i respect it. But i wanna go one step more, i wanna see how far away can we go boosting doom music without loose the retro essence. For me, my combo of mixing MT-32 and SC-55 and post proccessing makes me heard DooM like a film and i love it.

This thread is to learn, i wanna see other people setups, etc...

Reply 24 of 61, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Axel Moore wrote on 2021-04-08, 04:27:
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-04-08, 04:22:
Get a professional band of virtuoso musicians + a skilled producer + high quality equipment. […]
Show full quote

Get a professional band of virtuoso musicians + a skilled producer + high quality equipment.

Have the band from a ring around you, in the middle of an acoustically perfect space.

As you complete each level, the band moves on to the next track.

Then, an outer ring of rednecks holding a variety of guns...

This kind of reply was necessary? Is my first day in the forum, i offended you in some way to get this reply?

He's just being silly, it's a joke.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 61, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Get a professional band of virtuoso musicians + a skilled producer + high quality equipment. […]
Show full quote

Get a professional band of virtuoso musicians + a skilled producer + high quality equipment.

Have the band from a ring around you, in the middle of an acoustically perfect space.

This kind of reply was necessary? Is my first day in the forum, i offended you in some way to get this reply?

I was trying to bring some fun and creativity. Nothing negative. See in it what you wish. 😀

My joke masks a serious aspect : namely, if we're in Theory Land talking about "which out-there, complex construction would make the most amazing-sounding version of the Doom music" then yes, I do actually believe that an idealised version with real instruments played by skilled musicians and produced well, would trump just about anything. Certainly when it comes to the trademark hard-rock guitar/bass/drums style of Doom.

That, then, is the level of "theoretical ideal sound" we seek, when we look for best-quality synthesized versions. Imho.

Reply 26 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-04-08, 06:51:
I was trying to bring some fun and creativity. Nothing negative. See in it what you wish. :) […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I was trying to bring some fun and creativity. Nothing negative. See in it what you wish. 😀

My joke masks a serious aspect : namely, if we're in Theory Land talking about "which out-there, complex construction would make the most amazing-sounding version of the Doom music" then yes, I do actually believe that an idealised version with real instruments played by skilled musicians and produced well, would trump just about anything. Certainly when it comes to the trademark hard-rock guitar/bass/drums style of Doom.

That, then, is the level of "theoretical ideal sound" we seek, when we look for best-quality synthesized versions. Imho.

Hahaha ok, i was a bit shocked when i read it.

Last edited by Axel Moore on 2021-04-08, 07:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 61, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-04-08, 06:51:
I was trying to bring some fun and creativity. Nothing negative. See in it what you wish. :) […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Well given doom ripped off shred metal from the early 90s lets just say metallica, pantera and megadeth.

Reply 28 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just discover this version of Duke Nukem theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcVSWSPb59c

And i went to download the original midi and couldnt resist to add more synths to see how it sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E7P2EAlUUc

Reply 29 of 61, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW, the 3DO port of Doom had a remarkable soundtrack, featuring remixed versions of the original songs.

That version of the game was not the greatest, but its OST remains superb to this day.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 30 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-04-08, 07:59:

BTW, the 3DO port of Doom had a remarkable soundtrack, featuring remixed versions of the original songs.

That version of the game was not the greatest, but its OST remains superb to this day.

Whao thank you! Didnt know it.

Reply 31 of 61, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-04-08, 07:59:

Pretty cool to hear it played by a real band on actual instruments.

To me, Doom sounds the best on the Sound Canvas (I've got an SC-88). That's what it was originally composed for, so I'd say that would be the 'true' rendering of the soundtrack. Everything else comes down to personal preferences.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 33 of 61, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might find this interesting as well (note the playback recommendation at the end of the listing):
http://www.simpilot.net/~richnagel/#eternal_doom_soundtrack

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel is a VOGONS member, although I haven't seen him post as much as he used to.

Reply 34 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2021-04-08, 09:10:

You might find this interesting as well (note the playback recommendation at the end of the listing):
http://www.simpilot.net/~richnagel/#eternal_doom_soundtrack

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel is a VOGONS member, although I haven't seen him post as much as he used to.

Whao this guy is a really a nice discover! He is in my frecuency .... Also i download xmpi but i cant make it work in falcosoft midi player....

Weed Sound Font is amazing, i must recognize is ideal for doom, im going to start doing test with it and synths.

Last edited by Axel Moore on 2021-04-08, 11:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 61, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For Doom 1, Akai SG01k is my personal favorite, it's loud, over-blown, in-your-face samples just fit the mood best for me.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 36 of 61, by Axel Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2021-04-08, 11:45:

For Doom 1, Akai SG01k is my personal favorite, it's loud, over-blown, in-your-face samples just fit the mood best for me.

I take note, the thread is about the best option using only software but didnt know about this midi module, i were searching videos in youtube and it has a very nice clean sound.

Thanks .

Last edited by Axel Moore on 2021-04-08, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.