VOGONS

First post, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ordered an AMD K6-2+ 500 from ebay to replace my AMD K6-2 500 to gain a little performance. When I got it I only changed the voltage to 2 volts and kept the fsb and multiplier the same (5x100). It would not post. I then tested a munch of fsb, multiplier and voltages (2.1 and 2.2 volts). The settings that worked were 66Mhz fsb and 2-4.5 multiplier. The board I'm running is a SOYO sy-5ssm. Does anyone have any idea on why it doesn't work? The manual says it supports k6-2+ and k6-3 processors.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 1 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like you were sent a fake, as all K6-2+/500 are documented as running at 5 x 100, and even if it has been thrashed and is no longer stable @100 bus, it should run at 5x. Can you post a pic where we can see the details? Need to see the engraving on the aluminium spreader and the corners of the ceramic.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 18, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-04-06, 18:03:

Sounds like you were sent a fake, as all K6-2+/500 are documented as running at 5 x 100, and even if it has been thrashed and is no longer stable @100 bus, it should run at 5x. Can you post a pic where we can see the details? Need to see the engraving on the aluminium spreader and the corners of the ceramic.

I didn't think about it being fake. They are being sold "new" for $35. Ill take a picture of it when I get home. I did notice the text didn't look as deep as it would be on a k6-2. I just thought it was only like that on the plus versions, since I've never had one.

rmay635703 wrote on 2021-04-06, 18:16:

Could be damaged

It could be. I forgot to add that the first one I was sent didn't work at all.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 4 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Have you tried clearing the BIOS by jumper or by removing the battery for a while?

What power supply are you using (brand and model)? How old is it?

Are there any bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

What RAM are you using?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 18, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-06, 21:17:
Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? […]
Show full quote

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Have you tried clearing the BIOS by jumper or by removing the battery for a while?

What power supply are you using (brand and model)? How old is it?

Are there any bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

What RAM are you using?

I cant find a bios for this board. The soyo website has been down for years. The manual says it should support it with all bios revisions.

It used to be a slot 1 IBM aptiva with a delta power supply. I had this computer for 9 years and the slot 1 board finally died. I still have it around, I'll get around to fixing it some day.

I recapped the soyo board in 2019. It had a bunch of bulging caps. It was running rock solid with the k6-2 500 running at 550mhz for hours.

I have a 128mb cl3 133mhz single in it.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 6 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is quite old for a power supply. My guess is that part of the problem is that the power supply is not providing very clean power anymore.... I don't trust older power supplies as far as my 1 year old could throw them.

Here is the latest BIOS for your motherboard... from archive.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030303143017/htt … ew/5ssm2db1.bin

You can get the appropriate AWDFlash.exe from the archived page as well:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030226155917/htt … esc.php?id=1159

You can also get the BIOS file here:
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/b … /586/index.html

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 18, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-07, 00:12:
That is quite old for a power supply. My guess is that part of the problem is that the power supply is not providing very clean […]
Show full quote

That is quite old for a power supply. My guess is that part of the problem is that the power supply is not providing very clean power anymore.... I don't trust older power supplies as far as my 1 year old could throw them.

Here is the latest BIOS for your motherboard... from archive.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030303143017/htt … ew/5ssm2db1.bin

You can get the appropriate AWDFlash.exe from the archived page as well:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030226155917/htt … esc.php?id=1159

You can also get the BIOS file here:
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/b … /586/index.html

Holy hell, you actually found it. I've been looking for a bios update for years. I'll update it when I get home. As for the power supply, its quite heavy for its size. I have had other systems with delta power supplies and they all have been rock solid. The heaviest by far was my powermac 9600.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 8 of 18, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a look at the cpu in question. This one is the first one I received. It didn't post in my board. The second one looks identical to this one. The text seems cut off at the bottom of the all the zeros.

170058786_445722883193103_8164499833458457045_n.jpg
Filename
170058786_445722883193103_8164499833458457045_n.jpg
File size
330.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Ayy LMAO

Reply 10 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just because a power supply is heavy doesn't mean it will last forever. Once the capacitors get old, the voltages may still read fine, but the power being supplied is going to get quite dirty/noisy.

Unless the power supply has had the capacitors replaced, I would not trust it to be supplying clean power.

Can you take a pic of the CPU at more of angle? The heatspreaders are engraved and taking a shot straight on generally doesn't show up very well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 18, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn’t make sense that this would be caused by capacitors.
The OP said that a standard K6-2 500 OC @ 550MHz worked fine, and that CPU is definitely more power hungry, particularly when overclocked. Furthermore, he already did a MB recap 😀, and as for the PSU... my previous statement applies.
The markings on the new CPU do look strange, though. But that could just be caused by bad/hard direct lighting (photo quality).
My bet is that this is either a weird motherboard (BIOS) issue, or it’s a fake/damaged chip.
In this case, it would help to test it on another motherboard which is known to properly work with K6-2/3+ chips.

What do tools like CrystalCPUID/CPU-Z/Aida32/Aida64 report?

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 13 of 18, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I get home I'll swap the power supply to rule it out. I'll throw in my reliable k6-2 and do a bios update and install cpuz to figure out if the chip is fake. I did some research and the k6-2+ 500 ACR is an embeded cpu. Usually they are marked with an "E" in the name. I don't know if it is just a name scheme to sell older chips for embeded use or it is a different die than the normal k6-2+.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 14 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At first glance the CPU packaging doesn't seem off apart from the top markings seemingly being somewhat vague (as if there is some stuff filling up part of the engravings or it was not as deeply engraved as it should have been). Can't tell if this is from how the pic was taken though.
The 2 marks on the top side of the purple ceramic (at the top edge on the pic, one left and one right) and the 26727 at the bottom left also seem to correspondent with how it is supposed to look like.

But mind you, forging will have come a long way from the days of the counterfeit Pentium 2 days, for all we know todays counterfeits are visually indistinguishable from the real deal.

Imo if you find the CPU won't work for you (regardless of it being a real K62+ or a counterfeit), I'd consider to return it.
If it's a real K62+, it should have the 128kb cache though, should be able to see this using (benchmarking) software relatively easily.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!