VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi !

I recently bought this FIC 486-GVT-2 as "dead". I think I figured out the problem and it seems to be a missing PAL chip ...

IMG_20210321_153704__01.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210321_153704__01.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20210321_160302.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210321_160302.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Is there any way to fix that ? I know these need to be programmed in order to work ... Looking online there seem to be two revisions of the GVT-2 : one with that PAL chip and another without it. Unfortunately I got the model that's supposed to have it 🙁

Edit : tikoellner had one in 2017 :

tikoellner wrote on 2017-03-01, 07:23:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have just acquired the motherboard as in the title. I noticed that there is a GAL chip missing that was socketed. Just to the right from the 30 pin SIMM sockets.

As I noticed that there are many VOGONS users owning this particular board, I wanted to ask if there is any posibility to get dump of this GAL chip image.

I could burn the image to some empty Lattice chip (still available) and try tu resurrect the board. I believe without it I'm stuck.

Big thanks for any help with that.

bfd35a2e4f80a4d04e9f736aa45b_zpspgol7r1q.jpg

Do you still own this board ? If so can you try to dump it please 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case tkoellner refuses to dump his board, I have one here but I have no idea at the moment how to dump the data from this DIL20 chip.

gal16_a.JPG
Filename
gal16_a.JPG
File size
240.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a TL866 ? They can dump these chips (if they haven't been copy protected)

If they're copy protected it can be retro engineered with a logic analyser and by checking how the circuit works (in that case I could try to do the retro engineering with the given data)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I tried ... aaand failed.

The board still doesn't give any sign of life. I might try to reflow it with hot air, but I think I'm about to throw the towel on this one.

Reply 9 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know, I've checked the jumpers, and also I've tried the landmark testing ROM and it didn't show any sign of life either.