VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

Back in the day (1999-2000,) I bought a beige/white AT keyboard that had a very small footprint. The frame was tight to the keys, and didn't have the inches of plastic above the numeric keypad - in contoured to it. I can't remember, but the F keys may have been round. I used an AT-toPS2 adapter. The keyboard eventually developed issues, so I scrapped it (like a young fool.)

I have been working on nostalgia projects. I found the same model of PC desk that I had for my Commodore 64 and then my first two 486 PCs and my Pentium 90 Mhz. I found a brand new, still-in-the-box KDS 19" Extreme Flat crt monitor, in beige. The problem is that the desk is small. I found the same 4.1 Cambridge Soundworks speaker set that I had with my original P3 system, but even with having the monitor base hanging off of the back of the desk by an inch, the small size of the speakers that are crammed against the monitor, and cramming the standard sized keyboard against the speakers, there is very little room for typing.

I don't want to go to a 17" or smaller monitor. No matter how much I comb the internet and ebay, I cannot find a small keyboard that has a numeric keypad. Does anyone have any leads? It has to be beige or white, have a small foot print, and can be used with a PS2 port either directly or via an adapter. I am also searching for a beige ATX case with 4 x 5.25 bays and 2 x 3,5 bays, as my Gateway case has a proprietary PSU slot and I will have to modify the case if that PSU dies.

Many thanks!

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you checked the DESKTHORITY WIKI for pointers

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Compact_keyboards

Smallest one I have is this Viglen branded Datacomp DFK2020 which I've used on AT & PS/2 systems

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Datacomp_DFK2020

Reply 2 of 10, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cherry G80-1800 might be an option.

https://www.cherry-world.com/cherry-g80-1800.html

Not a standard layout but its easy to get used to. I have used one as a work/office keyboard the last ten years and its great to use.

Mine seems to be from 1989 so they are quite durable 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be an idea to post a pic (or even a drawing) of exactly what you're looking for. By your description almost any mid 1990s rubber dome keyboard (and quite a few mechanicals, like the Datacomp that PC Hoarder Patrol linked to) would be suitable. The fact you're having trouble finding one makes me suspect you might be after something a tad more exotic (96-key layout maybe?).

Reply 4 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't find a pic of that old keyboard. I may draw one. All I can say is that I think the F keys were round, it had an AT din, and the frame hugged the keys and contoured around the numeric keypad. After conducting more research, I found that a 96% keyboard may suit my purposes, -if- I can find one in beige or white and if it can be connected to a PS/2 port directly or with an adapter. The problem has been finding one that looks old school and not over a hundred dollars.

Reply 5 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OSkar000 wrote on 2021-03-29, 05:59:
Cherry G80-1800 might be an option. […]
Show full quote

Cherry G80-1800 might be an option.

https://www.cherry-world.com/cherry-g80-1800.html

Not a standard layout but its easy to get used to. I have used one as a work/office keyboard the last ten years and its great to use.

Mine seems to be from 1989 so they are quite durable 😀

I'm using one with MX black switches on my main PC currently. Can't complain about it.👍

Reply 6 of 10, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea what keyboard specifically matches the one you describe using back then, but as far as other options for small footprint keyboards go with PS/2 connector ... I'm a big fan of IBM M2 Keyboards. Pretty compact for a full keyboard layout. But not without it's share of issues. Any M2 keyboard you could buy these days will almost certainly need the two capacitors inside replaced. If you don't care about buckling spring, you can grab one of the cheaper rubber dome models by Lexmark (which otherwise physically look the same from the outside). I went through this process with one I bought from eBay and it works perfectly now. But needing to replace capacitors might be more of a headache then you'd be willing to deal with (which I would understand)

I cannot remember the names of any of them, but I also believe there are some Dell keyboards that are beige and also pretty small footprint-wise.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 7 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote on 2021-04-01, 21:23:

No idea what keyboard specifically matches the one you describe using back then, but as far as other options for small footprint keyboards go with PS/2 connector ... I'm a big fan of IBM M2 Keyboards. Pretty compact for a full keyboard layout. But not without it's share of issues. Any M2 keyboard you could buy these days will almost certainly need the two capacitors inside replaced. If you don't care about buckling spring, you can grab one of the cheaper rubber dome models by Lexmark (which otherwise physically look the same from the outside). I went through this process with one I bought from eBay and it works perfectly now. But needing to replace capacitors might be more of a headache then you'd be willing to deal with (which I would understand)

I cannot remember the names of any of them, but I also believe there are some Dell keyboards that are beige and also pretty small footprint-wise.

I have a black Dell keyboard that would be perfect, except that it is black and thus fails to match the beige set up. It is a model SK-8115. If I could find compatible keys in beige, I would spray paint the frame.

Reply 8 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what you wrote it sounds like you're more concerned about depth than you are with width. Is that correct?
I had a Sony PCVA-KB1P/UB up until recently that was noticeably narrower than usual, but I didn't measure it, and from pictures I think the depth might still be pretty normal.
It's also gray, not beige. No idea if they made other colors.
If by chance it does appeal to you then they are cheap. When I moved I didn't bother selling mine because they weren't worth more than the cost of shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0687.JPG
    File size
    1020.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 10, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of my favorites is the Siig Minitouch. It comes in AT and PS/2. However, the numpad is accessed with the function key. It has white Alps clone switches or blue Alps clone switches (both clicky) depending on the model. It definitely saves space, and is roughly the same as most 60-65% mechanical keyboards.

zKQLAlK.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 10 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2021-04-08, 22:59:
From what you wrote it sounds like you're more concerned about depth than you are with width. Is that correct? I had a Sony PCV […]
Show full quote

From what you wrote it sounds like you're more concerned about depth than you are with width. Is that correct?
I had a Sony PCVA-KB1P/UB up until recently that was noticeably narrower than usual, but I didn't measure it, and from pictures I think the depth might still be pretty normal.
It's also gray, not beige. No idea if they made other colors.
If by chance it does appeal to you then they are cheap. When I moved I didn't bother selling mine because they weren't worth more than the cost of shipping.

That looks cool, though unfortunately, it wouldn't fit between the speakers and the edge of the desk. I found an old beige/white KB that is standard yet minimal, and I pulled my desk away from the wall and the 19" monitor is hanging off of the back by about an inch or so.