VOGONS

First post, by Glendower

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, a while back I started having some problems with my AWE32 (CT2760) where I wasn't getting any music (FM or AWE) from the left channel. This wasn't a world-ender because I rarely used it for music. There are a couple games that I'd like to get some FM music for, so I scrounged around and found a Vibra 16 (CT2260) that I had never used. I think I pulled it out of an old Dell or something. Anyway, it has jumpers on it (for the most part like this one https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … d-VIBRA-16.html sans the jumpers for speaker and line as this is the OEM version and doesn't have any amplification built in). However, no matter what I do, I cannot disable the MPU. I've pulled the jumpers, and eventually tried to change it from 330 to 300, and that doesn't do anything either.

This might all be for not anyway because the digital sound doesn't work in games at all. When I run Diagnose, 16- and 8-bit test sounds play back fine, but the most sound I've been able to get out of it in games is a fraction of a second of the test sound in Tie Fighter.

I don't know these PNP cards at all from experience. I went from the AWE32 to PCI cards (usually with them both to keep compatibility) and never had a creative PNP card. Is there something I'm just missing here? I'll probably put the AWE back in, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. The real OPL is a sweet sound. 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Glendower

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update for anyone who might be having issues with this card--
I've been shuffling between a few to find a suitable replacement for my ailing AWE32 (I WILL recap it some day). I picked up a dirty but "Wuz working" CT3670 from fleabay-- it was not working, and I couldn't flash it (she gone). So, this morning, I scoured my autoexec and config.sys files of any sound card mentions, and reinstalled the Vibra 16 software. Lo, it works this time! The odd thing is that it doesn't work in Doom, but it does work in Doom 2, Hexen, Tie Fighter, and the Sierra games I tested. I don't know what the deal is with Doom.

This still doesn't solve the jumper problem-- I tried the ENMUP both open and closed, and neither setting will really kill the MPU on the SB. I did change the jumper for the port, and it seems that it is now at 300 (Even though Diagnose autodetects it at 330-- Setting games to 330 sends music to my MPU card). When I try to use 300 to point to my SW60XG, the system freezes. This isn't a world-ender, because i do have an MU1000 if I want XG sounds, but there are some things that the SW60XG and the DB50XG just sound more "right" for, so I'd like to use the SW since I have two of them for some reason 😀

Anyway, if anyone knows of a trick to actually kill off the Vibra's MPU that I'm missing here, I'd love to hear it!

Reply 2 of 2, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a somewhat similar issue with a CT2760 AEW32 card where I was unable to change settings for the MPU-401, the jumpers for address and enable/disbale did nothing. The trick for that card was a jumper named EPROM. When I changed position for this jumper I was able to change the configuration. Do you have a jumper like that on your card?