VOGONS

First post, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
so I got motherboard with old type barrel-type battery(Pic 1). Can I just solder it out and replace with a socket for 3V CR battery, or I need to find 3.6V new bartery. Does that .6V make a big difference ?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can replace it with a standard coin cell just be sure to use a diode to prevent the motherboard from trying to charge it. It looks like there maybe some corrosion as well so that needs to be addressed as well.

Reply 2 of 8, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solder a "CR2032 batty holder" to pin signed in photo

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    45.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20210409_133856.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210409_133856.jpg
    File size
    72.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 8, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-09, 12:28:

You can replace it with a standard coin cell just be sure to use a diode to prevent the motherboard from trying to charge it. It looks like there maybe some corrosion as well so that needs to be addressed as well.

Okay, does that matter if I connect the diode to positive or negative side of the battery socket?

Reply 5 of 8, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-09, 12:28:

It looks like there maybe some corrosion as well so that needs to be addressed as well.

Soldered out old battery, there is no corrosion or leakage on the motherboard itself, just on the battery.

Reply 7 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn´t matter if the diode is put in the positive or negative battery connector. The polarity must be correct.
And it´s a good idea to use a Germanium or Schottky diode, because they have far lower voltage drops of 0.2 - 0.4V as opposed to 0.7V of Silicon Diodes.

With a Schottky or Germanium (harder to find these days) type diode the voltage of the lithium cell is high enough for a longer time span so you save money.

Reply 8 of 8, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2021-04-10, 06:18:

It doesn´t matter if the diode is put in the positive or negative battery connector. The polarity must be correct.
And it´s a good idea to use a Germanium or Schottky diode, because they have far lower voltage drops of 0.2 - 0.4V as opposed to 0.7V of Silicon Diodes.

With a Schottky or Germanium (harder to find these days) type diode the voltage of the lithium cell is high enough for a longer time span so you save money.

My Granddad has been working with electrical parts since 1950 so I have a lot of stuff in my garage. Used Schottky diode. Now motherboards holds bios setting. Thanks for help.