Reply 2880 of 5847, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-03-31, 16:13:

Red Faction

Indeed. 😁

It was heavily discounted on GoG, so I couldn't resist. Besides, my (old) 2 years old toddler likes first-person shooter.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2881 of 5847, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh, I grabbed Red Faction at a huge discount some time ago too, but haven't gotten to play it yet. I have good memories of the demos (there are two different demos, I liked the one which shows some part from the beginning of the game, but does not allow to save your progress) which I played some very long ago, but I heard there are issues with running the game on modern systems? I suppose those are fixed in the GOG release?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2882 of 5847, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Red Faction:
2000 Use Pure Faction 3.0d
XP+ Use Dash Faction 1.5.0 (Haven't tested latest version)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2883 of 5847, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-03-31, 18:03:

Ooh, I grabbed Red Faction at a huge discount some time ago too, but haven't gotten to play it yet. I have good memories of the demos (there are two different demos, I liked the one which shows some part from the beginning of the game, but does not allow to save your progress) which I played some very long ago, but I heard there are issues with running the game on modern systems? I suppose those are fixed in the GOG release?

Windows 7 64-bit here, no problem so far. Don't know about later iterations of Windows though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2884 of 5847, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remnant: From the Ashes was a free offering from Epic last year and I just started playing. It's surprisingly fun and addictive. My only complain is that the first few skills/stats you can raise are mostly defensive and you only get the offensive (crit etc.) much later. I feel there should be a more balanced offering of skills from the start. Other than that, great fun!

Reply 2885 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kingdom Come Deliverance

I'm a little over 12 hours in and I feel like I'm just at the beginning still. Overall, I'm really enjoying this title. The attention to detail and realism is really blowing me a way in a good way. I'm in the main quest "The Prey" where you are forced to go hunting with Lord Capon, the heir to the throne of Rattay, the second town you visit in the game. He is a nobleman, you are a serf. As a watchguard-in-training, you are ordered to close the town, meaning get the taverns closed and tell the patrons they must leave. Bad luck would have it that Capon is drinking it up at the tavern you are closing, and wanting to make a good first impression, your character forces the issue when Capon objects to a commoner telling him what to do. Needless to say, a fight breaks out and Capon's guardian and acting Lord of Rattay punish us by making us go on a hunt together. I have to say, waking up at dawn, the graphics amazingly feel like you're in the woods in early morning daybreak and the hare hunt is surprisingly fun. There's also a bit of camaraderie developing with Capon. The save limitations are a bit annoying, but I can understand why they'd do it. The writing and voice acting are all well done and there's even a point earlier in the story where I was nearly driven to tears by a heartbreaking plot twist. It's refreshing to have this much realism and a lot more fun then you'd expect. No magic, no superhuman strength, etc. Not only do you need to keep yourself well fed, you can actually overeat and negatively impact your stats until your meal digests. Clothing, armor and weapons wear out and food spoils. You must learn to read before you can learn skills through books. Combat has a large tactical element and doesn't depend so much on twitch reflexes. It's not perfect. There are glitches and annoyances, but for my tastes, most of the game is designed in a way to keep it entertaining even for mundane tasks. I hope the magic continues as I get further into it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2886 of 5847, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Between sessions of the entire Legend of Zelda Series and a few other games, I have been playing old Star Wars games. This time around, it started with both Rebel Assault games, and has now hit the point of me finally getting through the first Tour of Duty in X-Wing Collector's CD. I managed to snag two Kalidor Crosses as well.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
852.27 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 2888 of 5847, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-04-07, 23:46:

Kingdom Come Deliverance

I'm a little over 12 hours in and I feel like I'm just at the beginning still. Overall, I'm really enjoying this title. The attention to detail and realism is really blowing me a way in a good way. I'm in the main quest "The Prey" where you are forced to go hunting with Lord Capon, the heir to the throne of Rattay, the second town you visit in the game. He is a nobleman, you are a serf. As a watchguard-in-training, you are ordered to close the town, meaning get the taverns closed and tell the patrons they must leave. Bad luck would have it that Capon is drinking it up at the tavern you are closing, and wanting to make a good first impression, your character forces the issue when Capon objects to a commoner telling him what to do. Needless to say, a fight breaks out and Capon's guardian and acting Lord of Rattay punish us by making us go on a hunt together. I have to say, waking up at dawn, the graphics amazingly feel like you're in the woods in early morning daybreak and the hare hunt is surprisingly fun. There's also a bit of camaraderie developing with Capon. The save limitations are a bit annoying, but I can understand why they'd do it. The writing and voice acting are all well done and there's even a point earlier in the story where I was nearly driven to tears by a heartbreaking plot twist. It's refreshing to have this much realism and a lot more fun then you'd expect. No magic, no superhuman strength, etc. Not only do you need to keep yourself well fed, you can actually overeat and negatively impact your stats until your meal digests. Clothing, armor and weapons wear out and food spoils. You must learn to read before you can learn skills through books. Combat has a large tactical element and doesn't depend so much on twitch reflexes. It's not perfect. There are glitches and annoyances, but for my tastes, most of the game is designed in a way to keep it entertaining even for mundane tasks. I hope the magic continues as I get further into it.

i just checked some reviews, it looks magnificent and a more genuinely open world than many open worlds. Games like this, where one could go (almost) anywhere and do (almost) anything were just a wishful fantasy back in the day and now, increasingly, they are becoming possible. This one looks like a great recreation of middle ages Europe too

Reply 2889 of 5847, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got up at midnight last night to take UNIVBE for a spin on the Versa M/75......

I played through a third of Postal. It actually runs really well now. Most games have the minimum system requirements overstated, not Postal, they said "486 DX2-66 with 16MB of RAM" - even on a DX4-100 with 40MB it's slow.....even still kinda is with UniVBE but it gets much better as you kill more hostiles, and let the flames die down a little, which really encourages true strategic gameplay, even when cheating 🤣.

Then I played some ThemeHospital. I played that the first time the other night without VBE, but with it it runs even better, and I managed to basically grow to having 2 wards, 3 GPs, and a handful of Clinics in the span of about the first 30 minutes. The night before I played till I lost.

I've been toying with making some YouTube videos of this hardware-requirements blasphemy. Run FNaF on the P/75 under Win2K, try The Sims with UniVBE on the P/75 or M/75. Basically, running stuff on things the creator never intended it to run on, and then post the results.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 2890 of 5847, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the WiiU, finished New SMB U, it was awesome. Polished, enjoyable game. A simple mechanic with endless tweaks keeping it mostly fresh. And production values through the roof - the quality of the music and sounds, the attention to detail in all the graphics, the to-a-T level design. Really cool.

Now partway through Super Mario 3D World, which is somehow less expansive after the Wii's Galaxy series, but again the insane production values and attention to detail make it extremely fun.

Still considering Planescape:Torment for the first time. Lifetime reader of the fantasy genre, so I have to do it. Dipped the toe in already. The only things holding me back are the commitment required, and fear-of-boredom or -grind which can be associated with much of the old RPG genre. Several rainy days coming up, so it might be an opportunity.

Reply 2891 of 5847, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2021-04-08, 17:22:

Then I played some ThemeHospital. I played that the first time the other night without VBE, but with it it runs even better, and I managed to basically grow to having 2 wards, 3 GPs, and a handful of Clinics in the span of about the first 30 minutes. The night before I played till I lost.

I'd be wary playing Theme Hospital on anything below a Pentium unless you switch it to the horrible low-res mode. It may run but will have slowdown issues when you get a decent amount of patients and inevitably leads to AI pathing/queuing bugs resulting in people getting stuck in doors, unfirable angry doctors and other game-breaking issues.

Not quite sure why the game has poor performance compared to other isometric sims (syndicate, transport tycoon etc.), I think it was just very unoptimized.

Last edited by jmarsh on 2021-04-09, 02:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2892 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Realms of Antiquity (PC)
With apologies to Pillars of Eternity and the other isometric "throwbacks" (term used lovingly), the true CRPG renaissance is now upon us with three full-fledged, deep CRPGs released for actual retro hardware (but playable on modern PCs through emulation of course)—Realms of Antiquity (TI-99), Nox Archaist (Apple II), and Realms of Quest V (VIC20). I played each briefly to decide which to complete first, and decided on Realms of Antiquity as it struck me as having the best balance between depth and playability.

You could call RoA an Ultima clone, and you'd be right in many ways. The setup involves you darting into a cave to escape a storm, and then finding yourself in a medieval land upon exiting. One nice touch is that you can choose to start the game solo as the powerful Hero class, or choose to create up to three additional companions (which locks you out of selecting the Hero class).

You'll do the typical CRPG stuff you'd expect. Explore the world, gather information in towns, explore dungeons for treasure, and get into a lot of combat. Luckily, the combat is quick but offers plenty of depth with weapons and armor rated for certain types of attacks (slashing, bashing, etc.) and enemies being more or less susceptible to certain weapons.

Magic is also handled in a unique way. Uniquely-named magic books contain certain spells, and in order to cast any of them you need to equip the applicable book. Spells come in seven "schools" designated by color, and each class capable of spellcasting starts out with a favored color of spell. It's not a problem early on, but I could imagine that having to swap out spellbooks just to cast a certain spell could get annoying later in the game.

The UI is quite nice with a sensible keyboard layout. You make most use of the cursor keys (for movement) and the number keys (to select choices), but there are a handful of other keys used to access party stats, etc. I got used to it immediately.

Overall, a fantastic game so far that I am really enjoying. I put 3.5 hours into it over the weekend and had a blast exploring, gathering info, and leveling up. I ended up purchasing the physical version of the game, and exploring the world with the included cloth map on my desk brought back some very fond memories of playing the Ultima games back in the day.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2021-04-09, 02:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2893 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-04-07, 23:46:

Kingdom Come Deliverance

I'm a little over 12 hours in and I feel like I'm just at the beginning still...

Thanks for posting your impressions. I'll have to give this another shot. I love the focus on historical realism, but the on-rails intro really soured me on it. I've heard that it opens up a lot once you get through the introduction, but also read that the introduction is VERY long.

Reply 2894 of 5847, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2021-04-09, 02:13:
creepingnet wrote on 2021-04-08, 17:22:

I'd be wary playing Theme Hospital on anything below a Pentium unless you switch it to the horrible low-res mode. It may run but will have slowdown issues when you get a decent amount of patients and inevitably leads to AI pathing/queuing bugs resulting in people getting stuck in doors, unfirable angry doctors and other game-breaking issues.

Not quite sure why the game has poor performance compared to other isometric sims (syndicate, transport tycoon etc.), I think it was just very unoptimized.

Meh, I've seen worse. Postal runs worse, especially when there's a ton of "targets" running around or lots of fire on screen. I actually made videos of both games last night for my YT channel. That said, seems UniVBE helps a little, though I'm running at 640x480 in both - which is not the most that laptop will handle, it does 800x600 in Duke Nukem 3D fairly well. I have a P/75 but half the fun for me is running things on hardware it was not designed for 🤣

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 2895 of 5847, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember doing the same with my dx4/100 back in the day when the requirements stated pentium. Nope!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2896 of 5847, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-04-09, 14:31:

Remember doing the same with my dx4/100 back in the day when the requirements stated pentium. Nope!

That's kind of the basis of everything I do with vintage PC's.

I started doing this in the early 2000's because I wanted a PC for work and play, could not afford one, started taking in 10 year old 486's, and making them do things people told me "could not be done". So that's kind of my whole "bag". What's fun for me is getting it to a point where it's comfortably playable, and finding out how close you can get. Plus that's how I don't end up with a house full of old hardware. If I just wanted to play the game, I'd run it on Dosbox on my linux machine, which is not as fun for me.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 2899 of 5847, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just started Super Mario 64 Plus, a further-modified version of the fan-made PC port of Super Mario 64 that tightens up the controls and improves the camera (plus other optional tweaks and improvements).
I've never been able to properly play the original SM64 just because of how it's aged and how clunky and unresponsive it feels, but this makes it so much more playable. I'm actually having fun and it's blowing my mind. Highly recommend this version.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]