VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've a super socket 7 motherboard with a K6-II 300mhz cpu in it and 256mb ram with an Nvidia MX200 video card.
This used to be my workhorse back in the day (pre-2001).

Recently I've noticed that, in order to get it to boot, I have to press the reset button, perhaps several times.
I push the start button, the fans whirr up, the drives cycle (floppy/CD) ... and the connection light on my monitor remains yellow, with no image, and no further evidence of booting.
Eventually, after waiting a good while, I can press the reset button and it will boot normally, the bios screen appears and all is well.
Often I have to reset two or three times before this happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem? Or, better, any idea what to look for as the cause?
It didn't used to do this.

Don't know if it's related, but for awhile, up until a couple weeks ago, it had trouble remembering the time; the time would remain at what it was when I last turned the machine off, although it seemed tokeep the date current.
It's now behaving normally again. I had replaced the cmos battery with a new 2032 (actually, it might be a rechargeable...) some months ago.

I've looked for suspicious capacitors and the like on the motherboard, but no sign of anything amiss.

Reply 1 of 2, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may be caused by PSU (exactly, PowerGood signal).

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 2 of 2, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Electrolytic Capacitors don't need to be bulging or leaking to go bad. They can just die going dry.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port