VOGONS

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was browsing an action site and happened to buy an unknown computer. there was a picture of the back and I saw a sound card and something that I thought was a TV input card, so I guessed that it was something from the P3/P4 era. Because of the seperate sound card I also thought it could be something interesting, as there already was one on the mother board, but I never saw any Sound Blaster card with 2 optical ports..

Kind of stupid but it was like 20$ with shipping so I was like.. why not..?

I recieved it yesterday. When handeling the box I heard something heavy fall around in it. Damn.. I later realized it as a harddrive that had not been fastened (it did not work so I threw it away anyway).

Opening up the box I see it was more modern than I'd hoped (sata cables) and someone had really already picked what they liked. RAMs were missing so I understand I cant test computer yet. There was a PSU included. And a SATA DVD recorder also (but already have one too many).

IMG_20210408_214817.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210408_214817.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Processor was there anyway so I took a look under a copious amount of cooling paste. It was a socket 775 Pentium dual core 1,6 MHz. I never had one so thats fine I guess.

IMG_20210408_215109.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210408_215109.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The motherboard was an Intel dg965ry with inbuilt sound and video. I know almost nothing about it, and I doubt it is compatible with older OS'. I have not found any windows 98 drivers, and to my knowledge manufacturers stopped supporting windows 98 around this time.

So what more did I find? A wireless network card (with no antennas) and generic sound card which was cheap already at the time. I guess there had once been a graphics card in the PCIex16 slot but it was long gone.

IMG_20210408_214838.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210408_214838.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMG_20210408_214827.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210408_214827.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The previous owned had made some serious cable modding also which I must share it must have done a lot of difference!

IMG_20210408_215535.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210408_215535.jpg
File size
639.31 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I will post later if it works if I get ahold of some DDR2 RAMS.

Reply 1 of 11, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like a typical low-end office system, but it's still useful for a WinXP system, and that CPU can be upgraded to a quadcore, should you feel the need to do that. Older PCI-E Graphics cards are cheap, compared to the high end AGP-cards, so that's a plus.

Reply 3 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a splendid purchase as it turns out! some ram, a cheap ssd and a cheap graphics card and its going to be good!

i bought a computer going cheap a few months ago, despite telling myself i wouldn't add to the collection! it looked roughly mid 2000's from the case and had an xp sticker and indeed when i got it home it was a P4 2.8ghz with an impressive 2gb of ram installed! not much else but i had a spare 40gb hdd and soon got hold of a very cheap geforce 6200 such that it now plays 2000-2004 ish games very happily

its very similar to an athlon xp2400 system i already have so not really fulfilling a new role at all - but that's the thing, when its so cheap how can you resist!

Reply 5 of 11, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-04-09, 17:32:

I'm curious, what is the point of a retro XP PC (except for being totally awesome). Are there many games that run better on XP? 🤔

I have the same doubt, apart from the games that used anti-copies that do not work in Windows 7, a 32-bit Windows 7 has never failed me with games from the XP era.

Reply 6 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The splinter cell games really perform the best and look the best on XP with period hardware. I've run into quite a few games from the beging of the XP era that do run better and are more stable on XP than 7 and above.

Reply 7 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok. I guess that more games will be affected in time. I loved splinter cell 1, and never finished it for some reason.. I wonder if I have something that can run it... 😉

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP is the last OS to support DirectSound3d/EAX That's a big plus in my book.
9x games have a better chance of working in XP (or a 32bit OS in general) and with hardware far exceeding the games requirements you can turn on AA, AF, etc.

XP rigs still lack that nostalgia kick, but mine is probably the most used of my retro fleet thanks to its versatility

Reply 10 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-13, 09:18:

XP is the last OS to support DirectSound3d/EAX That's a big plus in my book.
9x games have a better chance of working in XP (or a 32bit OS in general) and with hardware far exceeding the games requirements you can turn on AA, AF, etc.

XP rigs still lack that nostalgia kick, but mine is probably the most used of my retro fleet thanks to its versatility

Yeah XP is not at all nostalgic for me. I still encounter it regularly at work. DOS, W95&98 brings me back though!.

I get the point that some games look better in XP though, but at the moment I dont feel that much for that era of gaming except for some games like splinter cell and theif 3 at least when it comes to single player.

Howver, I bought three (!) geforce graphic cards from this old dude for 4€ and will get them in the post, and the rams shoudl arrive tomorrow, so I might keep that extra system for a while.. At least to do some fun benchmarking or as a back up system just in case.. 😉

Reply 11 of 11, by NScaleTransitModels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a side note, check the caps on that board. I had two similar Intel 965 boards (forgot the exact model) and they both had bulging and leaking KZG caps.

Builds:

• ECS FX-3000; 386DX-40@50; ET4000AX, ISA 1mb
  • Acer VI9; 486DLC-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Chicony CH-471A; CX486s-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Gateway 2000 P5-60; Pentium-60@66; S3 928, PCI 3mb
  • DTK PKM-0033S; AM5x86-133@160