VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to compile JWLink (https://github.com/JWasm/JWlink) in DosBox for DOS, I already have OpenWatcom 1.9 installed and everything was working fine until I got the following error with dos4gw:

DOS/4G Protected Mode Run-time Version 2.01a
Copyright (c) Tenberry Software, Inc 1996
\watcom\binw\wcc386 -q -zc -bc -bt=nt -ox -s -DNDEBUG -I"dwarf/dw/h" -IH -Iwatcom\H -foowinr\dbgdwarf.obj c\dbgdwarf.c
Stub exec failed:
Z:\dos4gw.exe
Arg list too big

I had been looking around and I have no idea how to make the dos4gw coming with dosbox-x to handle these extra arguments, any idea?

Cheers!

Last edited by cprieto on 2021-04-18, 17:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This forum is for official DOSBox. Post in the following locations for DOSBox-X:

DOSBox-X branch
https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-04-19, 05:04. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought openwatcom used DOS32?

Unknown what ver of d0s4gw.exe uses. Official DOSBox does not include it.

It's possible the above error is because DOS4GW.exe isn't in the current working directory? Mabye try copying it to wherever the executable that is trying to run it is located.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @DosFreak, nah, I already tried with different versions and just to make sure, tried to do the same in a physical machine and the same error happens (just in case, the version packed with OpenWatcom 1.9 is DOS4GW 1.97). I will see if I can find a place where I can ask people about this DOS4GW problem because I am super lost here.

Reply 5 of 5, by Ringding

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is your end goal? For instance, I see value in jwlink targeting DOS, but I don’t see value in jwlink running in DOS. To me, it is much preferable to run it on Linux or Win32, depending on the situation. And you should probably switch to the non-abandoned repository here.

If you are just trying to figure out why it does not work, it looks like something in the Makefile wants to create a command line that’s too long for dos4gw to handle. I would first try to shorten the checkout path name.